Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Bathing in Gold

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bathing in Gold

Congratulations to JimFox for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 12 votes - View Previous Winners

I was recently up in Glacier National Park and had gone to spend a few days in the Many Glacier area. This shot here almost didn't happen. I was busy shooting a sunrise pano with a reflection of the mountains and the Many Glacier Hotel in Swiftcurrent Lake, when I noticed a real golden glow along the horizon, so I quickly grabbed my gear and got down to the outlet of the Swiftcurrent Lake where the water rushes down this cool gorge. I got there just in time to work the sun a bit along a ridgeline as it was rising. The golden light was so thick, you could almost cut it with a knife!

I wrote more about it in my blog and also included the pano I was engrossed in shooting before this shot, you can view it here.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:03 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bathing in Gold

Great shot and terrific light. Is it a blended image? You have some amazing dynamic range if its a single shot. Did you try any with a slower shutter speed also? It would be nice to see the white water with some motion blur to it.

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bathing in Gold

Very cool shot Jim! I absolutely love the backlit water, and how you were able to maintain every bit of whitewater. This is a tricky exposure, but you've done a bang-up job with it. Well captured!

Jul 08, 2013 at 09:49 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bathing in Gold

Hi Jim, I know that area and you got a great shot here with great light and I really like the shutter speed here, that foamy water look is getting pretty old.

Jul 08, 2013 at 09:51 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bathing in Gold

Dang Jim, this is pretty sweet with the light rays and the golden-lit landscape. Looks great too with the frozen water currents. I think I much prefer this than a smoothed-out, less dynamic water with a longer shutter speed. Did I tell you I've never been to GNP? This area looks beautiful.

Jul 08, 2013 at 09:56 PM
JustinSmith

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bathing in Gold

Love how the light looks hitting the water here.

Jul 08, 2013 at 10:10 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bathing in Gold

Spectacular and unique Jim. Nicely done!

Jul 08, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bathing in Gold

Very nice blue and gold contrast in the water, and the extra layers of golden lit ground really tie the photo together nicely. You're making me regret teaching summer school...

Tim

Jul 08, 2013 at 10:33 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bathing in Gold

Awesome!
You drove all the way up just for that!!

Jul 08, 2013 at 10:39 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bathing in Gold

JohnBrose wrote:
Great shot and terrific light. Is it a blended image? You have some amazing dynamic range if its a single shot. Did you try any with a slower shutter speed also? It would be nice to see the white water with some motion blur to it.

Totally agree with this Jim...love this as is, though also wondering if you shot any with some motion blur?
cheers Andrew

Jul 08, 2013 at 10:53 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bathing in Gold

very nice, love to get there sometime

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:00 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bathing in Gold

Great job. It is amazing how you got the exposure to work so perfectly.

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:07 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bathing in Gold

Nicely seen & captured Jim!
As many have stated, the back lit water really makes this special. (I am a sucker for back lit anything )
The comp includes the turn in the river (creek?) to give it good depth and the water is just right.
The choppy current really let's you feel the energy and "danger" in it.
There are scenes that do better with smoother water, but I think this works as good and would have been a great shot with either.

Dan

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:10 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bathing in Gold

JohnBrose wrote:

Thanks John for the comments. Not a blended image, just great DR from the D800. Most of the work was just done in ACR.

As for the shutter speed, I always bracket scenes like this with various shutter speeds as I typically like silky water with the longer shutter speed myself. But I had a feeling even when shooting this, that there was so much power and turbulence from the water that capturing it with a faster shutter speed and capturing that frothing power would most closely capture the feeling that I felt. So when looking over the images, this was the one that best expressed the vision I had when I saw it.

Jim

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:35 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bathing in Gold

Wonderful golden light, a great capture, Jim. Thanks for sharing the image and technicals.
Seems like Glacier has not just great views but great light as well.

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:42 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bathing in Gold

everything is perfect!! Looks unreal!!!

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:13 AM
retrait
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bathing in Gold

Perfect shot Jim! Love the backlid on the water. Wish to be there someday.
-Tung

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Socalastro
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bathing in Gold

Very nicely shot!

-Leon

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:45 AM
CarloDidier
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bathing in Gold

Absolutely gorgeous! You're a lucky man!

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:10 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Bathing in Gold

Nice! I like the turbulence you got out of the fast shutter speed, and that misty ray of syrupy light is divine. I kind of want to nudge the scene to the left so that the sun itself isn't quite so marginalized, but maybe there was something on that side that you were trying to keep out of the frame. I do get the sense of global adjustments in ACR and could recommend some subtle localized blending (using iterations of the single raw), but that's really a matter of personal taste. I get the sense that you're a guy who likes to hear the little nits (as I do), which is why I've said anything beyond my first sentence!

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:15 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.