New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wildebeests in Migraton II

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wildebeests in Migraton II

Not as strong as the first image by this title, but does this image work for you?
PP suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:15 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wildebeests in Migraton II

It has an appealing charcoal on cave wall vibe.

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:51 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wildebeests in Migraton II

Thanks Karen. I used the same toning, processing style as the first.
Put this over on BW. Pretty much a dud and I do think the first image was much stronger.
Put this over on Nature, paired with the solo Wildebeest in the Crater. And got many Wows for both. And not too much response to the first pan/blur image. I guess the context of presentation made a difference.

Scott

Edited on Jul 13, 2013 at 09:55 AM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2013 at 08:42 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wildebeests in Migraton II

I think it works well Scott, could you add the first image for comparison?

If the second darker diagonal were lightened it might not compete so much?

Regards,

Bob

Jul 13, 2013 at 09:45 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wildebeests in Migraton II

Thanks Bob,
I wondered about that too.
Here is a link to how the images were presented on Nature, which seemed to significantly influence the view of the migration image
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1225908

and the other image is re-presented here.
Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Jul 13, 2013 at 09:48 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wildebeests in Migraton II

This one has a more cluttered vibe to it for me, and the blurred parallel lines above the main group pull me up & away. The main group is a bit too blurry for my taste to provide strong subject connection.

The one we seem to prefer has the head of one showing sufficient detail that it kind of shows an "outa my way, I'm comin' through" vibe along with some better clarity at the legs in motion. This one (OP this thread) seems to show the most detail/least blur at the back end of the smaller animal.

Face of powerful animal vs. back end of smaller animal ... two different vibes. Of course, I realize that with this technique there is a strong degree of luck involved, but definitely a case of you make your own luck. I just find the first one very powerful (noted in other thread), and this one to be more of an "Oh, cool, you tried that and it looks different, that's neat." ... but lacking the message of the power invoked by the other one.

Additional notes about the one I like:

There seems to be a visible interplay relationship between the one who is charging forward most clearly, and the one in front of him, looking back at him. Also, the left and right edge animals provide a sense motion @ another one coming from behind, and we are headed/following the one in front ... now, get outa my way. Reminds me a bit of the old adage @ "Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way".

The other one ... I get no "message" from it, just a cool technique and something different.

I guess you could think of it this way ... Mona Lisa's sister ... just not the same.

Edited on Jul 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2013 at 09:48 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wildebeests in Migraton II

sbeme wrote:
Thanks Karen. I used the same toning, processing style as the first.
Put this over on BW. Pretty much a dud and I do think the first image was much stronger.
Put this over on Nature, paired with the solo Wildebeest in the Crater. And got many Wows for both. And not too much response to the first pan/blur image. I guess the context of presentation made a difference.

Scott

I know we both hang on BWVision, you more than I, but my sense is landscapes, still life in some situations, and street images play better there. I wouldn't draw too much from polite silence, that is the way it is.

Or, maybe I'm in denial of my rejection at times as no one will step up and write an image really sucks. - which of course is valid feedback and may be quite true

Bob

Jul 13, 2013 at 09:59 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wildebeests in Migraton II

Bob Jarman wrote:

I wouldn't draw too much from polite silence, that is the way it is.

+1 @ interpreting "polite silence", which is something we practice here a bit less than other forums. Polite, definitely ... silent, figure the odds.

Actually, I believe that polite silence is somewhat of a "disservice" when someone is specifically asking for assistance with constructive critique. Granted it can be a tricky (and thoughtful) thing to present critical perspective (which isn't necessarily right vs. wrong), without sounding harsh or condescending, but always with a spirit of intention to be helpful with another set of eyes/mindset for consideration.

Our small group seems to play well in the sandbox together ... probably much more practical for larger groups to employ "polite silence" rather than open Pandora's Box.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.