Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Archive 2013 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod
  
 
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


I am looking to get a lighter tripod than my 5 series Gitzo.

A couple of good options seem to be Gitzo GT 3532 LS and RRS TVC-33.
Based on their published specs, they appear quite similar, from weight and height to the price.

The 5 series Gitzo tripod has given me very good service, and that would be a pretty good reason to get yet another Gitzo product. However, many people have had very nice things to say about the RRS tripods, therefore I wonder if TVC-33 would give me any important advantages/benefits compared to GT3532LS ?



Jul 08, 2013 at 07:53 PM
taat2d
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


I have the Gitzo 3532s and I LOVE IT!! I use a Markins Q10 with it and have no complaints whatsoever. I use a Wimberly Gimbal with my 300 2.8 and it's solid as a rock.


Jul 08, 2013 at 08:07 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


there are more then subtle differences between the 2 maker methods. important advantages are relative to how you look at your tools. I had Gitzo. I have RRS. I don't collect these things so I look for the one I believe will do the best overall job.

i don't love any of these things. i do appreciate good manufacturing design and technique. and in the end overall functionality.



Jul 08, 2013 at 10:58 PM
mogud
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


Petkal:

I have the 3542LS and really like the weight, load capacity and the compactness of the 4 section. I was thinking very seriously about the RRS legs and I think it's a wash as to which legs are better. The newer design Systematic with the better plate locking system is preferrable.

One nice feature of the Gitzo is that you can purchase extra plates and attach one to a gimabal head and another to a ballhead. Makes switching quicker and easier.



Jul 09, 2013 at 02:50 AM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


from a technical stand point the RRS design is rather better.
a machined aluminum alloy spider assy that is one solid anodized ring. the actual platform drops into the spider and has a simple internal safety system to prevent it from falling out even if 2 out of the 3 safety allen screws are gone. see apex lock

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TVC-33&type=4&eq=&desc=TVC-33-Versa-Series-3-Tripod&key=it

Gitzo is Mg alloy casting painted with a split ring spider to get the clamping done.

as to the switching its either or in that process. with both you can buy as many plates as you want. now though RRS has developed a slide on slide off dovetail plate that is all the rage on either tripod. I don't have a need for it myself.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TH-DVTL-55&type=0&eq=&desc=TH-DVTL-55%3a-Round-Dovetail-Plate&key=it



Jul 09, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Sharona
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


Peter - I've done quite a bit of research and posting here on this as well, and with your big glass, I'd opt for RRS. I've heard more "fail" stories from Gitzos, though granted they were series 1 and 2 legs. Just my 2 pence.


Jul 09, 2013 at 03:26 AM
kdphotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


The RRS TVC-33 is really closer to the Gitzo 5 series in specs.

I had a Gitzo 5541LS and would have bought a RRS TVC-33---had RRS released their tripods by then! The TVC-33 is over a pound lighter too! I have the TVC-24 and it is engineered better than my Gitzo 5541LS. I'm sure the latest Gitzos are improved now as well.

I'd opt for the RRS. The TVC-33 is on my "buy list" but since my TVC-24 provides such a solid platform, the TVC-33 really has become a low priority.

ken



Jul 09, 2013 at 03:36 AM
mogud
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


sjms wrote:
as to the switching its either or in that process. with both you can buy as many plates as you want. now though RRS has developed a slide on slide off dovetail plate that is all the rage on either tripod. I don't have a need for it myself.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TH-DVTL-55&type=0&eq=&desc=TH-DVTL-55%3a-Round-Dovetail-Plate&key=it


I've used the dovetail plates on my Wimberley II with a fair bit of weight added and a dovetail plate on my ballhead. While the RRS plates are strong and securely lock down, I didn't feel as secure using them with a heavy lens. With the newer Systematic plate and safety lock system, I feel more secure using Gitzo's plate. I'm only giving my experiences.


Edited on Jul 09, 2013 at 04:01 PM · View previous versions



Jul 09, 2013 at 06:35 AM
Lasse Eriksson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


kdphotography wrote:
The RRS TVC-33 is really closer to the Gitzo 5 series in specs.

I had a Gitzo 5541LS and would have bought a RRS TVC-33---had RRS released their tripods by then! The TVC-33 is over a pound lighter too! I have the TVC-24 and it is engineered better than my Gitzo 5541LS. I'm sure the latest Gitzos are improved now as well.

I'd opt for the RRS. The TVC-33 is on my "buy list" but since my TVC-24 provides such a solid platform, the TVC-33 really has become a low priority.

ken


No the TVC-33 is NOT closer to the Gitzo series 5 in spec. The Gitzo series 5 is rated to a maximum load spec of 40kg. And the RRS is rated to 23 kg. (a Gitzo series 3 is 25 kg)
All the other spec are also different



Jul 09, 2013 at 08:22 AM
Lasse Eriksson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


Sharona wrote:
Peter - I've done quite a bit of research and posting here on this as well, and with your big glass, I'd opt for RRS. I've heard more "fail" stories from Gitzos, though granted they were series 1 and 2 legs. Just my 2 pence.


Of course there are more "fail stories" with Gitzo. There are of course more "good stories" also.
Remember that Gitzo have probably sold thousend times as many tripods as RRS



Jul 09, 2013 at 08:28 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Roland W
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


I still own a Gitzo series 3, but ever since I got my Really Right Stuff TVC-33 it is my go to set of legs for big loads or maximum stability. The larger sized leg diameters and the well designed and very rigid top crown section of the RRS make the TVC-33 a stronger and more rigid tripod than my Gitzo. I still use the Gitzo when I need a second set of legs, but some day I will up grade to a second RRS. I do like the RRS leveling base when I need one, but I also can easily remove it if I care about weight.

There are no standards for how to come up with load ratings for tripods, so you can not just look up the rating and say how much more rigid a set of legs is. It is too bad you can not see RRS legs at a dealer, and need to trust the word of others to judge how good they are. My vote is RRS, unless you can get a very good deal on a used set of Gitzo legs.



Jul 09, 2013 at 08:47 AM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


Folks, thank you very much for your help.


Jul 09, 2013 at 08:50 AM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


kdphotography wrote:
The RRS TVC-33 is really closer to the Gitzo 5 series in specs.

I had a Gitzo 5541LS and would have bought a RRS TVC-33---had RRS released their tripods by then! The TVC-33 is over a pound lighter too! I have the TVC-24 and it is engineered better than my Gitzo 5541LS. I'm sure the latest Gitzos are improved now as well.

I'd opt for the RRS. The TVC-33 is on my "buy list" but since my TVC-24 provides such a solid platform, the TVC-33 really has become a low priority.

ken


I don't understand why you keep on writing this ? The Gitzo series 3 (3532 LS) and the RRS TVC-33 have very very similar specs. The series 5 have very different specs and much higher load capacity. You have to compare with the latest tripods that Gitzo make today. Not with the discontinued models that they made 3-5-10 years ago

@ Peter: You can't really go wrong with either of those two tripods. I would probably buy the one with the lowest price.



Jul 09, 2013 at 08:59 AM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


Roland W wrote:
I still own a Gitzo series 3, but ever since I got my Really Right Stuff TVC-33 it is my go to set of legs for big loads or maximum stability. The larger sized leg diameters and the well designed and very rigid top crown section of the RRS make the TVC-33 a stronger and more rigid tripod than my Gitzo. I still use the Gitzo when I need a second set of legs, but some day I will up grade to a second RRS. I do like the RRS leveling base when I need one, but I also
...Show more

I'm not saying that you are wrong. Because I really like the RRS tripods. But what Gitzo series 3 model do you have ? Because most of the time people here compare their older discontinued Gitzo tripod with a brand new RRS. (like Ken did before) so it's not a fair comparison.



Jul 09, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Sharona
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


Lasse Eriksson wrote:
Of course there are more "fail stories" with Gitzo. There are of course more "good stories" also.
Remember that Gitzo have probably sold thousend times as many tripods as RRS


Lasse - You are quite right. I had the Gitzo 3532LS in my office, comparing it to the RRS 24L. I really liked the Gitzo, it seemed to be a great tripod.

What swayed me to RRS was correspondence with someone who had really rotten luck with her two Gitzos (the metal portion where the legs attached sheared clear off, along with the leg) and the miserable customer service from them in getting things resolved. And there were many stories of this terrible customer service. I will not likely be buying another CF tripod in my lifetime, so I wanted to get it as right as I could. The RRS also was somewhat lighter, another plus for me. But you are quite right, there are millions of happy Gitzo users out there, so it all comes down to what works best for each person!



Jul 09, 2013 at 02:36 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


Lars Johnsson wrote:
I'm not saying that you are wrong. Because I really like the RRS tripods. But what Gitzo series 3 model do you have ? Because most of the time people here compare their older discontinued Gitzo tripod with a brand new RRS. (like Ken did before) so it's not a fair comparison.


there will always be something "new and better".

how many tripods do you own now?



Jul 09, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


sjms wrote:
there will always be something "new and better".

how many tripods do you own now?


Only seven tripods But the last i bought was about 1 years ago So I have enough now



Jul 09, 2013 at 03:43 PM
leftcoastlefty
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


The point about customer service is a good point. I broke a Gitzo once when I fell down a rocky slope. (Totally my fault and a RRS would have broke in the same situation.) I was able to buy replacement parts from Gitzo, but they had to come from Italy and the whole process took most of 2 months. By contrast, RRS is effectively right around the corner for most of North America and they speak English. There's some value in that.


Jul 09, 2013 at 05:36 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


leftcoastlefty wrote:
The point about customer service is a good point. I broke a Gitzo once when I fell down a rocky slope. (Totally my fault and a RRS would have broke in the same situation.) I was able to buy replacement parts from Gitzo, but they had to come from Italy and the whole process took most of 2 months. By contrast, RRS is effectively right around the corner for most of North America and they speak English. There's some value in that.

However, another way to look at the situation would be that there might be some value in you learning to speak Italian.



Jul 09, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Glenn NK
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Gitzo vs. RRS tripod


Roland W wrote:
There are no standards for how to come up with load ratings for tripods, so you can not just look up the rating and say how much more rigid a set of legs is.


This is correct, and defines the problem.

Load ratings are mostly useless because strength is rarely if ever the problem. I've seen a picture of a large man being suspended from a tripod - it didn't break.

The important feature of a tripod is stiffness, which although somewhat related to strength is not the same thing. Stiffness determines how much the camera will shake or vibrate - more stiffness, less vibration/movement.

Consider hanging a weight from a thread or a rubber band. The rubber band will likely hold up more weight (strength) before it breaks than will the thread, but it will stretch (deform) more than the thread.

The rubber band has strength, but no stiffness. The thread has less strength but is stiffer.

For a given material (CF or aluminum), a larger diameter will be stiffer (it will also be stronger).

Stiffness is inversely proportional to length - longer legs = less stiffness.

Glenn






Jul 09, 2013 at 07:42 PM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password