Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Upgrading performance of high end system with smudge or mixer brush

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrading performance of high end system with smudge or mixer brush

i'm having some performance issues when using photoshop mixer or smudge brushes on 21MP, multi-layer files when the brushes are set to use all layers.

Here is a synopsis of my system. Just wondering whether to upgrade the CPU, graphics card, or something else to eliminate the lag time when using these brushes in "all layers" mode.

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
MEMORY: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory [+133] (Corsair or Major Brand)
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [-107] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
HD - 256GB SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM Sata both running off 6GB/S ports

I have approximately 80GB free on the SSD, and 500GB free on the 7200 drive.

Swap file, photoshop and lightroom scratch files are on the SSD.

Jul 08, 2013 at 01:37 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrading performance of high end system with smudge or mixer brush

There isn't much you can buy that would be considered a significant upgrade to the system you have.

CPU: The 6-core 3930K may be a hair faster in PS for some functions but will likely be imperceptible to you. Similarly, moving to a Socket 1150 Haswell system will provide incremental improvements at best. A better option would be to overclock the 3820 to 4.2 GHz or higher. This is easy and safe if you have a good cpu heatsink and you will find guides online.

Memory: 64GB is not going to make a difference

GPU: 650Ti is overkill for PS, and buying something more powerful will only consume more energy and generate more heat and noise.

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:28 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrading performance of high end system with smudge or mixer brush

Your talking processor intensive operations not I/O memory or gpu so your already near the top of the heep. Over clocking is the only place to go. Crank that processor up as high as you can and they will quicken up a bit but by no means get snappy.

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:29 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrading performance of high end system with smudge or mixer brush

If that tool isn't graphics card accelerated then there is no amazing big change you can make, only incremental improvement via overclocking.

If the tool has OpenCL acceleration then buying a high end ATI/AMD card might help as they are currently a lot faster than NVidia for OpenCL.

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.