Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Engagement Session Great Falls, VA- comments & critiq...

Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Engagement Session Great Falls, VA- comments & critique welcome

This couple was really cool to work with. Would love to have been able to shoot their wedding; alas I was filling in for a photographer who couldn't make it, and the couple wouldn't have been able to schedule time off of work before the weather turned cold (this was back in October.)

Wish every couple brought as many props as they did!

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Engagement Session Great Falls, VA- comments & critique welcome

More...

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Engagement Session Great Falls, VA- comments & critique welcome

There's a few images here that look underexposed to me. I'd also definitely ditch the huge watermark. I understand wanting to protect your images, but it is very distracting.

The couple looks like they had fun!

Jul 08, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Engagement Session Great Falls, VA- comments & critique welcome

M1k3, thanks for the feedback and kind words. Is it just the last image that looks underexposed? On that one, I kind of purposely underexposed to give it a bit of romantic ambiance... but if it doesn't portray that, then I suppose I'll delete it.

If there are others that appear underexposed, though, then it may be that my LCD needs calibrating more that I think...

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Engagement Session Great Falls, VA- comments & critique welcome

For me there's a few things that I think would improve this set, but first I'll agree about the watermark. It's not professional looking at all and it's even cut off on the verticals!

These photos seem like their ideas, not yours. I'm all for client ideas, but if you're going to shoot things like cheesy 'she said yes' signs, then do it in a creative way. Have some fun with it. There's no fun in this job if we're just pushing buttons. Push limits.

As for the actual photos, this style is a bit more traditional than my taste. With that said, I think you should look out for the fine details. Cutting off hands on a shot where people are standing still is a big no no. Also, there's quite a few where the people are almost kissing but not quite. It's not quite the sexy version of the almost kiss and not quite a kiss... If you want to shoot the almost kiss, tell them to kiss really slowly and keep their heads together the whole time... or have them get as close as possible without kissing. They both work really well.

Jul 20, 2013 at 02:08 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Engagement Session Great Falls, VA- comments & critique welcome

Tony,

Thanks for the feedback- good advice which will be heeded.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Engagement Session Great Falls, VA- comments & critique welcome

Hi Matt!

I think you have a firm foundation for photography skills, but I think you have some work ahead of you in terms of developing a vision of your own (in terms of processing and approach to the session). There really isnt much I can do to tell you how to arrive there as the photography should be your own, but I think the tip is to shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot.....

On the very bright side, the couple seemed relaxed and at ease for the session. I think this is a skill that photographers do not get enough credit for. Good job on that!

One tip is that I think you should use shallower DOF for some of the portraits (ie, 2 and 3). They look 'snapshotish'. But images like 6 with shallower DOF look 'prettier' with the OOF fall colors.

Oh, and lose that watermark

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Engagement Session Great Falls, VA- comments & critique welcome

canerino wrote:
Hi Matt!

I think you have some work ahead of you in terms of developing a vision of your own (in terms of processing and approach to the session). There really isnt much I can do to tell you how to arrive there as the photography should be your own, but I think the tip is to shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot.....

One tip is that I think you should use shallower DOF for some of the portraits (ie, 2 and 3). They look 'snapshotish'. But images like 6 with shallower DOF look 'prettier' with the OOF fall colors.

Oh, and
...Show more

Chuck,

Many thanx. Your tip to shoot, shoot, shoot, sounds sort of like the Belgian, 5-time Tour de France winner Eddy Merckx's advice on what his 'secret' was: "Ride lots".

On #2, I was trying to get the pumpkin, couple and the falls all in focus. But looking back on it, the falls were so far away that I readily see your point about the image looking 'snapshotty'.

You're like the 20th person to tell me to lose the watermark, so I guess I gotta hire a graphic artist.

Thanks once again!

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password