Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

photogreen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

LumoPro folks asked me to test the new flash prior the actual release date. (Disclaimer, I'm NOT affiliated with LumoPro). Now that the flash is launched to the market, I thought I'd share my review and thoughts:

LumoPro LP180 Quad Sync Manual Flash

Overall, this flash is pretty cool. The built-in light stand mount is a great feature for people using speedlights with umbrellas. The flash feels very solid. I really like the build quality (better than LP160). Built-in filter holder can be useful, too (22 color filters are included for FREE!). The lever lock, I believe, is even better that the one on Canon 580EX II. So, yeah, I've been pretty impressed so far

What are your thoughts? Any comments?

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

I don't like the look personally, but it looks like a great flash. I have an LP160 that I've been using for my strobist setup for a couple years, and it's been fantastic. I've been using my Vivitar HV 285 as a second light (I trigger both with radio triggers). The thing I love about the LP 160 is that it is truly setup for studio use, and it's dead simple to adjust zoom and power without any issues...the LP 180 looks like it has stuff set out for this purpose, and all the new features look to be aimed at making a powerful, yet easy and fast to operate flash.

I might have to look at getting a 180 sometime, even if just for the 1/3 stop increments. I work 10 minutes from Midwest Photo, so I may pop in there some day soon to take a closer look. Thanks for the heads up and the review.

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:17 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

Well, I didn't get my wish (a sub-$200 bare-bulb capable flash), but it looks like a nice unit nonetheless.

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:27 PM
saelee
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

The only thing that I like about this flash is the ability to mount it from the side. Personally I think the design of all hot shoe flash is a bad design where you mount it on one of the weakest point on the flash.

Jul 10, 2013 at 09:38 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

The only thing you like? What else would you want in a manual flash?

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM
saelee
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

Yes it is a manual flash, it does not need to be $200.

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:40 AM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

BrianO wrote:
Well, I didn't get my wish (a sub-$200 bare-bulb capable flash), but it looks like a nice unit nonetheless.

Why do you need a bare bulb flash so badly ? Would a lightsphere suffice? Too much light loss?

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

photogreen wrote:
Why do you need a bare bulb flash so badly ? Would a lightsphere suffice? Too much light loss?

It's not so much a need as a want.

I don't use Gary Fong stuff, but I do use a Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce a lot for bridal candids and the like. Yes, light loss can be an issue, but it's not usually a serious issue with my 580EX...or even the 430EX most of the time.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM
MMarquis

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

Ordered 2 LP 180's to replace my ageing Vivitar 285's. Looking forward to the threaded side mount and the 1/3 adjustments. I am very curious how the threaded mount is going to work out. Seems like a great idea since I've broken so many hot shoe mounts on my vivitars, both the plastic and EBay metal aftermarket ones.

Aug 08, 2013 at 03:53 AM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

the side mount works out great for me so far. just make sure the flash is attached securely

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jim atyeo

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

I purchased 2 of them myself recently. I have been trying them out in comparison to my other flash units that I use for manual flash,sb80dx,sb28,580exii sb800 and 430exii. The lumoPro is a delight to use. It is so fast to make adjustments and the different ways to trigger the flash is excellent. I too love the 1/4-20 mount on the side of the flash, Its amazing no one has done that until now. The flash recycles very quickly with and without the battery pack. I will be using these more and more for my main flash units, except when I need ttl, although I was using one of them recently on camera in manual mode and really didn't have many problems. Fortunately, the stuff I was shooting wasn't moving fast like things might at a wedding reception or a corporate event. The flashes themselves are right up there power wise to the 580ex and maybe a bit more zing. Color temp looks like the normal slightly cool look. Easy to fix with a 1/4 cto. Very sturdy build and love the lack of a lock for moving the head. I am absolutely in hog heaven with mine.

Aug 13, 2013 at 03:05 AM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

jim atyeo wrote:
... I too love the 1/4-20 mount on the side of the flash, Its amazing no one has done that until now...

that my thought, too, when i saw the mount for the very first time

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM
jim atyeo

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

Thought I should give an addendum to my recommendation of the LP180's. I purchased 2 about 2 weeks ago, things were fine at first. I am now having problems with both units. One unit will not fire from the mini plug connection and the 2nd one is not responding well to the buttons that change power and zoom length. The sad part is I contacted Midwest Exchange today and they seem real hesitate to do anything. First off, when I spoke to a fellow that works there about the mini plug port not working, he asked if I couldn't just use the PC port. Uhh, I bought it to specifically use the mini port. It is supposed to be more reliable. Really.
So he shined me on a bit and said he would have to get back to me with an RMA. Did not hear anything back from them. I think I will let David Hobby know as well since he also recommends them. I would bet very much he would not be treated like me. These are supposed to have a 2 year warranty I see why now. I have a friend that uses the Yangnuo units and never seems to have any problems.

Aug 22, 2013 at 01:25 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

jim atyeo wrote:
...I have a friend that uses the Yangnuo units and never seems to have any problems.

Yongnuos had problems early on as well. Don't forget that the LP-180 is a brand new design.

I'd suggest you contact LumoPro directly and see if they'll be able to give better help than Midwest did.

support@lumopro.com

Good luck.

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:45 AM
LumoPro

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

Jim,

I sincerely apologize for the service received. I will be in contact with them to discuss this situation specifically. We expect nothing less than an exceptional customer experience with our products at an authorized dealer, and I'm disappointed to hear about your situation. You can contact me directly at kevin (at) lumopro (dot) com to have the problem solved immediately and in addition discuss what we can do to rectify the situation in addition to getting you new functional flashes. I will send you new units (hand tested personally by me) with a return label to retrieve the defective units.

We pride ourselves on a strong team of dealers, high quality products, and warranties to back up those promises. If anybody has issues, I will be happy to answer questions or aid in improving customer experience with our products.

Regards,

Kevin
Product Manager/Tech Support
LumoPro

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:15 PM
jim atyeo

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I will email you tomorrow. Makes me feel better towards LumoPro products, knowing I have some other recourse.

Aug 23, 2013 at 01:38 AM
jim atyeo

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

I would like to extend a huge thank you to Kevin at LumoPro. He quickly took care of the isuues that I had with my LP-180 flash units. You can tell that customer service is not just words to LumoPro. They go the extra mile and take the time to make sure the customer is happy with their products. I am so confident now in the company and product, that I am going to order a 3rd unit tomorrow. I just can't say enough about how wonderfully designed this unit is and how easy to use. I find that my assistant can use these flash units a lot faster than she can the Canons or Nikons. She is not a techie and likes things simple. She will now grab the LumoPro's first before the other flash units. So yes, she's real happy that we have these flash units.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM
LumoPro

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

Jim-

Thanks again for giving us the opportunity to make this right. All products are man made, and therefor will occasionally present flaws. We do our best to control these mistakes by hand testing all units, but in this isolated incident we made a mistake. We're don't try to hide behind anything, we all make mistakes. While we try to minimize the mistakes, we definitely do everything we can to own up to it and make it right.

Should anybody have any problems with any products, we encourage you to contact us so that we can improve our systems, products, and service.

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:27 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

I don't need a 3rd flash at the moment, but I think I'll pick up one in the next month or so. It's always fun to play with creative lighting.

Aug 29, 2013 at 01:39 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New LumoPro LP180 flash

On a side note, I can't find these in stock anywhere.

Aug 29, 2013 at 04:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password