Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · With and without 500D close-up filter

verbiage
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · With and without 500D close-up filter

Hello,

Posting my first thread here on the Macro forum (if memory serves).

I was wondering for a long time what would happened if a closeup filter were attached to a macro (1:1) lens (100 mm in my case). Extension rings (about 60mm worth of them) didn't seem to reduce MFD too dramatically (down to about the equivalent of 1.5:1 magnification - very roughly, as I didn't shoot any rulers), and the 500D was not available in the right size. Finally, a step-up ring came along, and I got to try this combination.

If anyone is in the same boat, the following comparison may be of interest (not sharp, I know, I guess I should have stacked for focus). Both are 100% crops, the ladybug was about 4 - 5 mm long (once again, no ruler ) The first one is the closest I could get with the bare lens and still autofocus (could manual focus work at closer focusing distances? I think it might, but I'm not sure...). The second one is the lens plus the 500D closeup filter. Both are sharpened for printing, so are probably over-sharpened for the screen.

Comments welcome.

verbiage 2013

Bare lens

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    100mm    f/14.0    1/250s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

verbiage 2013

Lens + closeup filter

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    100mm    f/16.0    1/125s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · With and without 500D close-up filter

Looking good

I use to shoot with Canon's 100mm macro + a 500D closeup filter and I thought the image quality was excellent -certainly it wasn't negatively impacted by the closeup filter. I know this isn't a popular thing to say, but adding glass to your lens will not decrease image quality -adding poorly made glass to a lens will.

I think the misconception about adding glass to a lens was caused by people attaching 5$ filters to 1000$ lenses...

Edit: You can get a lot of detail in a macro image without stacking -depends on the size of the subject though. If you're shooting an insect that's only 2mm long then stacking is probably the only way you're gonna get the fine details to show, but for a subject as large as a ladybug I just don't think that stacking is necessary. The better you get at controlling the motion in a scene (your motion and the subject's) the more detail you'll get in the final image. Diffraction is easily amplified by very small movements (less than the width of half a pixel is enough to cause problems) and sometimes the short burst of the flash can't freeze all of the motion in a scene...

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:31 PM
verbiage
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · With and without 500D close-up filter

Thank you, John.

I am only a little concerned about leaving the nice 500D exposed to the elements (no pun intended). I'd rather not tempt fate by adding yet another piece of glass in front (a UV filter), so I guess a screw-in lens hood will have to do.

Cheers,
Slav K.

p.s. You have some awesome insect portraits on your website. I guess they're mostly done with the MP-E 65?

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · With and without 500D close-up filter

Mostly the MPE-65mm, but I also shoot with the EF-S 60mm and tubes (better than the 100mm, IMHO, because at life size mag the 60mm is really a 37mm lens -easy to get it to almost 3x with just 62mm of tubes), and the aforementioned 100mm + 500D + tubes.

Hope you don't mind me adding a photo to your post -but here's what can be done with the EF-S 60mm + tubes. Tech specs: Canon 40D (F13, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon EFS-60mm macro lens with 50mm of extension (almost 2.5x) + an MT-24EX macro twin flash (manual mode 1/16 power).

Really some amazing glass for the money...

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · With and without 500D close-up filter

First off don't crop your images. they are already soft and cropping them just makes them look worse. if you want to get closer just rev mount a 28mm lens

This was shot at life size with a camera with much less resolution than your MK 5 ll

Like John said , the 500 D won't degrade the image quality , but cheap glass will .

Follow the link below if you have not seen it . More magnification comes cheap by rev mounting lens directly to the camera.

Don't crop and manual focus your shots.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/663112

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

verbiage
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · With and without 500D close-up filter

Thank you, Tom.

The problem is I don't have any non-EOS lenses, and I would only have to shoot them wide open when reverse-mounted. Right now, I cannot really buy any more lenses, or the expensive EOS reverse mounting adapter with electronic aperture control. If I see an old mechanical-aperture lens somewhere at a price I can afford, I'll get that; until then, it'll have to be what I have. And, possibly focus stacking.

John: sure, that's an excellent photo to post - shows what can be done when it's done right!

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:03 AM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · With and without 500D close-up filter

Ha! I know cropping is frowned upon by some but I consider it just another tool to help refine my pix according to my sense of proportion or balance, even if only from 4/3 to 3/2 but entirely for composition purposes.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:08 PM
verbiage
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · With and without 500D close-up filter

Actually, my reason for cropping was to show 100% comparison between bare lens and lens with 500D on . I like getting in close, but probably didn't get close enough with either setup - not as close as they are capable of.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:55 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · With and without 500D close-up filter

You can get a rev ring for around 10$ and if you have a eos 50 mm lens put it on the camera normally set the f stop where you want it , mash the dof preview button , while holding it down remove the lens from the camera and the lens will stay where it was set then rev mount it . there u go . u don't need elec. contacts. also old lens can be bought for under 20 $

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:54 AM
verbiage
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · With and without 500D close-up filter

I'm not removing any lenses while the camera is still on. Ever again. Thank you, though.

Would you say a 40mm lens reversed would produce decent magnification? I have a fancy-ish Voigtlaender M-mount lens I'm trying to sell, which just won't happen. At least it has an aperture ring. But first, I'd have to master what I have + focus stacking, I guess.

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password