Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

DonH
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

http://news.yahoo.com/couple-dies-route-popular-rock-formation-014530468.html

Please, if you're going, start your hike in pre-dawn light, wear a broad-brimmed hat, and carry more water than you think you will need.

Edited on Jul 25, 2013 at 04:25 PM · View previous versions

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:39 PM
camboman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

Very sad, but I am surprised it hasn't happened before. I did it in 95 degree heat and the 3 miles seemed longer than it actually was due to the deep sand in places and the route finding involved.

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:55 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

I won the lottery last year and attended the meeting for lottery winners. The BLM was very clear and spent a lot of time discussing the nature of the hike and the need to be prepared and carry lots of water. Even with the warnings it is easy to make a mistake. Desert hiking in the summer is certainly a situation where mistakes can be fatal. When you are 70 years old the stress can easily become too much.

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:20 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

That is no hike for summer months. I've seen it get really hot there in April, wouldn't even consider June or July.

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:57 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

Unfortunately the Wave just claimed another.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56629184-78/hiking-deputies-hike-wave.html.csp

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

Sad news.

I'm really hoping the BLM can resist the inevitable pressure to close or otherwise over-regulate the hike. As others mention, they already do a very good job of explaining the dangers.

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:04 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

I think that BLM can do at least two things that will save lives:

- Stop online lottery maddness, and do it only onsite. This way, they can issue no permits on the days of extreme conditions.

- Also, mark the trail with cairns. That's the right thing to do even if I can see multiple reasons for not doing it.

Sasha.

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

There's a lot more lightning strike deaths, drowning's and falls than this. Seems there was a rash of people falling off the Angel's Landing a few years ago, not sure that's happened much recently.

This one is tragic because of her young age, the wedding anniversary, and little children left at home. I feel terrible for the family & friends. It also makes a good headline due to those facts, where other deaths barely get reported.

Still, two people got killed by lightning yesterday in the Grand Canyon, another hit in Estes Park. Five people were hit by lightning in a field by Greeley CO last week.

Someone died in a fall in Glacier a few days ago...

Fact is, these are unusual circumstances, and sadly you just always have to be 100% aware in the outdoors.

If you like to study these things (I do sometimes) go here: http://home.nps.gov/morningreport/

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

Regardless of the circumstances and the stupidity of the victims, when something like this happens and it gets media coverage, the morons in charge of the rules will make it harder on everyone in the future. Bellyaching by a misinformed public matched with politicians or appointed regulators always equals horrible results.

People need to be responsible for their own actions, especially after ALL the guidelines and warnings that the BLM, NPS and other agencies provide.

But you never know. Perhaps this couple who so conveniently died together, were executing a secret pact and drank the magic koolaid before departing on the hike. Not a bad way to go....

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:55 PM
scraptag
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

Just heard the wife of a young couple died at the wave recently too. She was 27 and had cardiac arrest on the way back. It looks like they got lost coming back. So sad. But I don't think I would chance it in the summer, even if I won the lottery.

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

I feel sick to my stomach to hear all these sad news. I still remember vividly that I had a very close call last year at the Ricketts Glen State Park. I was stopped short of about 1 foot from the fall off to a swirling water falls. We all have to be careful while we are out there with all the enthusiasm of taking pictures.

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:19 PM
Bart Carrig
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

It's always a tragedy when lives are lost, and even more so with the impact on the families and friends. We enter into these adventures to see these amazing locations, and we know there are risks. I have been going to the Wave for almost a decade now; got lost the first time, as I had only a hand-made sketch of the location on a napkin. I think the "government" (by which I mean the very capable and knowledgeable people at the Paria station) does a fine job of explaining the difficulties, the risks and the precautions that are called for. They have improved the maps as technology has improved. The waypoints are are available by GPS. I DON'T trust the cairns at all -- in fact, that's how I first got lost. Nor do I think they are needed. You can easily be lost in the woods, even on well-estiablished trails such as those in the Northeast; it doesn't take much (weather, blowdown, changes in lighting, etc) to throw you off. The truth is, if you don't have basic route finding skill or knowledge; haven't read the maps; studied the area -- if you go it alone, you are at risk. Any other mistake aggravates it.

To me it seems frightful to think that government's response should be to enact more regulations, more intrusions, or impose more limitations on this beautiful, wild area that is beautiful mostly for that exact reason.

My favorite feature of the west, is that it is, in a sense the "wild west" and there is a culture of individuality and individual responsibility. Here in the Northeast, we have fences and safety nets over bridges where the risks are obvious, and governments and owners now get sued for not installing same. (Too many lawyers -- and that comes from one of them). I, for one, don't need Big Brother to intercede in nature. It never really helps. We all wind up with the lowest common denominator.

Just IMHO.

Bart Carrig

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

I agree 100% with Bart's post.

The Paria Station's rangers do an excellent job of showing the route and explaining the risks.

There is no substitute for experience and knowing when to turn back or better yet, when to not go.

The Wave is just too popular - it's on many international travelers' check list. The lotteries have turned into huge events. Perhaps these deaths will raise awareness amongst the casual visitors who just want to "do" the wave.

If lawyers get involved, they may just make the entire area off limits to limit the BLM's liability. No one wants that.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Deaths at The Wave (+1)

Figure 4+ months of potentially dangerous weather x 20 hikers per day. Subtract 10~20% for no-shows and road closure days, and you've still got over 2000 potential victims per year. I'm actually rather surprised that more folks haven't gotten into serious trouble and perished. I don't know if the woman who died ran out of water (at age 27, you'd assume so), but a random heart attack or two is almost overdue.

A few years ago I had to abort an ill-timed hike on a hot day in late April. The temperature wasn't much over 90, but the combination of sand and rough terrain, and the extra weight of water, tripod, MF camera (Bronica = $#% brick!), etc. was surprisingly tiring! Also,the light colored rocks do seem to reflect an unusually high amount of heat. Although I live in Tucson and hike in the summer, I found this hike was much more strenuous than anticipated. On the way back, I did what many do - I got slightly confused and wound up crossing the rocky ridge about 1/8 mile too soon. I wasn't lost, just off course and 'displaced.' The view was, however, quite different, and I can see someone who had only causally studied the area becoming thoroughly disoriented in short order.

I suspect that the people who get well and truly LOST are the ones who cross the ridge too late and therefore miss the visible trail that leads up the sandy hill. Turning in the 'right' direction takes them to the wildly rugged terrain overlooking Wire Pass. Not a place to be wandering when exhausted and low on water.

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:38 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password