Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

5diii back button servo

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 5diii back button servo

TeamSpeed wrote:
Remember that AI Servo functionality is continually tweaked or even completely overhauled from one model to another, much like the implementation of auto ISO. To me, it feels like the latest bodies are much better at AI Servo for static subjects than older models, and also it seems like the lens I use also matters. Canon USM lenses seems to lock and stay put, some of my Sigma glass seems to twitch constantly.

1D-X second Cf slot is the sa

Jul 21, 2013 at 04:27 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · 5diii back button servo

MaunaKea7007 wrote:
Canon (Virginia center) a couple of times told me NEVER use Servo AF on static subjects, Ditto AI Focus. I thought it an extraordinary moment for them to be so adamant about it. I was discussing my new 5DMk3 during summer last year fairly soon after release of that camera.

Interesting. My 5D3, in particular, seems awfully nervous on near static subjects. A little tricky since a bird on the ground that is only moving about a bit can need AI servo, DOF can be so low, even moving the head from up to near ground position can need different focus, but sometimes AI servo seems too twitchy on 5D3.... not sure what the ideal solution is.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.2 #3 · 5diii back button servo

I think as long as you don't focus and recompose, many of your one-shot static shots should be in focus. If something twitches, it twitches and I doubt tracking mode is going to pick that up with a great success rate - I have not tested this as I 'feel' one-shot gives me more keepers. This weekend I practiced with some slow shutter speed images of a perched bird at 1/80 using live view, one-shot, cable release, and mirror lock up. A lot were fine, but I could tell in some photos parts of the body looked soft from movement.
For those times when your non flying bird twitches out of the focus plane I would use use high burst frame rate to improve your keeper rate.

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:55 PM
bboule
• •
p.2 #4 · 5diii back button servo

I use Servo AF 90%+ of the time with my 5D3 and use the AF-ON button in "AF-OFF" mode when I need it. (Mostly for the rare cases where I use focus-recompose).

I haven't had a ton of issues with this. Servo AF works wonderfully on this camera.

In terms of utmost accuracy I find using the central higher precision points has more of an effect than servo vs one-shot if you're using a fast lens. I have seen some cases where shooting at say f/2 the outer points can't get tack sharp focus on someones eyes and the inner points have zero difficulty. But even that is very occasional, it seems to only happen in lower light situations.

Jul 22, 2013 at 03:15 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · 5diii back button servo

dgdg wrote:
I think as long as you don't focus and recompose, many of your one-shot static shots should be in focus. If something twitches, it twitches and I doubt tracking mode is going to pick that up with a great success rate - I have not tested this as I 'feel' one-shot gives me more keepers. This weekend I practiced with some slow shutter speed images of a perched bird at 1/80 using live view, one-shot, cable release, and mirror lock up. A lot were fine, but I could tell in some photos parts of the body looked soft from movement.
...Show more

Thanks, I'll try using one shot on them more with the 5D3.

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:56 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password