Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 5diii back button servo

photo1a
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5diii back button servo

I'm on a road trip, trying to figure out a back button for change from one-shot to servo. The only thing I can find online (I don't have my manual) is using the depth of field button. Is there a way to use the * button or AF-ON button to switch from one shot to servo?

Jul 08, 2013 at 01:59 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5diii back button servo

Only the DOF button and the button on the super telephoto lenses can be assigned that function. You can just keep it in Servo and use a single push of the AF-On button to act like one-shot. But it won't use the real one-shot algorithms.

Jul 08, 2013 at 02:29 AM
robbymack
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5diii back button servo

Rather than mapping the servo/one shot switch to the dof button why not just map af to the back button and keep it in servo all the time? To pull one shot focus you just focus on your target release the back button and fire the frame

Jul 08, 2013 at 02:48 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5diii back button servo

The main point of back button focus is to avoid needing to switch back and forth. The AF can be left on servo.

EBH

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:04 AM
photo1a
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5diii back button servo

Thanks for your answers, problem solved.

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:13 AM
photo1a
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5diii back button servo

Actually, I have a question for clarification. Here is my understanding:

Custom controls, go to AF-ON, scroll over to AF-OFF and press set.

If my drive is set to servo, I hold down the AF-ON back button to continuously focus (servo). When I want a single shot, I release the back button and depress the shutter I usual. Is this correct?

Jul 08, 2013 at 09:47 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5diii back button servo

Servo fails to lock on subjects that one shot will lock onto, usually related to very low light. I wouldn't trust servo to accurately stick to subjects that are static either, it tends to miss them pretty often when it makes "minor adjustments."

Jul 08, 2013 at 09:55 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5diii back button servo

photo1a wrote:
Actually, I have a question for clarification. Here is my understanding:

Custom controls, go to AF-ON, scroll over to AF-OFF and press set.

If my drive is set to servo, I hold down the AF-ON back button to continuously focus (servo). When I want a single shot, I release the back button and depress the shutter I usual. Is this correct?

No, if you press Set for AF-OFF, it means you've just reversed the function of the AF-ON button. When you press it, the camera will stop AF.

You want to set the AF-ON button to metering and AF start, and then set the shutter button to metering start only. That removes AF from the shutter button and places it only on AF-ON.

As for leaving the camera in Servo and using the AF-ON button to simulate One Shot, I think Form is correct - it won't be as reliable as One Shot when focusing on difficult subjects. This has certainly been my experience with the xxD family of cameras, but my 7D is better, and I have always heard that the 1-Series are better still. So with the 5DIII's advanced AF, I would expect this to be less of an issue, and Servo probably works pretty well on non-moving objects.

Mark

Jul 08, 2013 at 10:07 PM
photo1a
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5diii back button servo

Thanks much for the information.

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:01 PM
MaunaKea7007

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5diii back button servo

Canon (Virginia center) a couple of times told me NEVER use Servo AF on static subjects, Ditto AI Focus. I thought it an extraordinary moment for them to be so adamant about it. I was discussing my new 5DMk3 during summer last year fairly soon after release of that camera.

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5diii back button servo

I don't think there's any reason for them to be that adamant. I probably wouldn't shoot a wedding in AI Servo, but as EB-1 stated, getting One Shot behavior when in AI Servo is probably the best use of AF-ON.

Say you want to get a shot of a soccer or hockey goalie. Use AF-ON to focus on the goalie, then lift to stop AF. Now you can shoot with the shutter button, keeping the goalie in focus and the camera won't grab focus on the crowd of players likely to be in front of the net.

Another place to use it is shooting a batter at the plate. AF-ON to grab focus, then lift and recompose so the batter is on the edge of the frame. Then his or her stride will carry the batter into the middle of the frame on the swing. If the ball is hit, back onto the AF-ON button as you swing to follow the ball and shoot the fielder.

Mark

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Luta13
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5diii back button servo

form wrote:
Servo fails to lock on subjects that one shot will lock onto, usually related to very low light. I wouldn't trust servo to accurately stick to subjects that are static either, it tends to miss them pretty often when it makes "minor adjustments."

Not my experience at all. My cameras stays in AI Servo at all times. Since the 6D is rather slow FPS, when using that camera it stays in Continuous at all times as well. I can control one shot or continuous with a quick/long press of shutter button. Most of my shots are stills/landscapes/architecture. But, I refuse to fumble with gear all the time and If I need AI Servo I want it on. I would rather be searching out a good composition than pressing buttons on my camera. Never ever noticed an issue.

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:31 PM
MaunaKea7007

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5diii back button servo

Mark S: your scenario depends on after stopping-AF-movement to be slight or across the plane of focus. You must be shooting with enough DOF to catch the little distance changes, right? I do like the idea of ignoring a player/ skater that enters the frame, but at the wrong angle to the goalie he will change distance So you use this technique when you *know* exactly what the player will do about distance.
Canon was saying that trying to HOLD (servo) focus on something still was asking for trouble. I was surprised but especially about their lack of trust for AI focus which I thought was *meant* to be the best of both in unknown motion situations. Subject is still, focus locks but as you start to press the shutter the subject moves. I thought this is what AI Focus was covering. Doesn't work was Canon Chesapeake's implication.

Luta, Have you tried AI Focus? Is it offered on the 6D? A building is always in focus at the point you want it to be focused at wider apertures?

Jul 12, 2013 at 09:07 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5diii back button servo

I haven't bothered to test still subject AIservo vs. one-shot AF accuracy with the 5DIII, as I simply use the dof button when I need to switch to one-shot quickly. If I am not needing quick switching, I just set the mode to the one I need knowing the dof button is there just in case.
I did have reproducible issues however with the 5D classic. I had probably 20% keepers with servo compared to nearly 100% with one shot. This situation was only noticed with shallow dof. I am convinced with the 5D classic, using ai servo all the time was not a good idea, but have no idea if the situation has changed with the newer bodies/firmware.

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:56 PM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5diii back button servo

dgdg wrote:
I haven't bothered to test still subject AIservo vs. one-shot AF accuracy with the 5DIII, as I simply use the dof button when I need to switch to one-shot quickly. If I am not needing quick switching, I just set the mode to the one I need knowing the dof button is there just in case.
I did have reproducible issues however with the 5D classic. I had probably 20% keepers with servo compared to nearly 100% with one shot. This situation was only noticed with shallow dof. I am convinced with the 5D classic, using ai servo all the
...Show more

Remember that AI Servo functionality is continually tweaked or even completely overhauled from one model to another, much like the implementation of auto ISO. To me, it feels like the latest bodies are much better at AI Servo for static subjects than older models, and also it seems like the lens I use also matters. Canon USM lenses seems to lock and stay put, some of my Sigma glass seems to twitch constantly.

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:34 PM
MaunaKea7007

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5diii back button servo

After the Canon reps chased me away from AI Focus during conversations in summer 2012 I have stayed away from that 5DMk3 setting, as I said above. Reading back over this thread I see that no one responding at this moment is using AI Focus as a way to switch between One-Shot and Servo (and then I figure it falls back to One-Shot).

OK -- Why not? What the Canon guys said? "Doesn't work." Have people in this community seen that it results in OOF images? I, too, have the DOF button set for switching but even this can be too slow. Depends on the situation, obviously.

I apologize for being too lazy (too busy, actually) to test this so hoping to leech someone else's hard work to look closely at this independently of Canon's suggestions.

jonathan7007

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5diii back button servo

AI Focus sucks! My "good" cameras (currently 1DX and 1DIV) don't even have it!

Jul 12, 2013 at 09:07 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5diii back button servo

I make it a habit to download the manuals for any equipment I am taking on the road:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#BrochuresAndManuals

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM
photo1a
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5diii back button servo

I have the manual. I did not find it particularly helpful on this topic.

Jul 21, 2013 at 04:14 PM
photo1a
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5diii back button servo

MaunaKea7007 wrote:
After the Canon reps chased me away from AI Focus during conversations in summer 2012 I have stayed away from that 5DMk3 setting, as I said above. Reading back over this thread I see that no one responding at this moment is using AI Focus as a way to switch between One-Shot and Servo (and then I figure it falls back to One-Shot).

OK -- Why not? What the Canon guys said? "Doesn't work." Have people in this community seen that it results in OOF images? I, too, have the DOF button set for switching but even this can be too
...Show more

This is what I found when I tried it.

Jul 21, 2013 at 04:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password