end

Archive 2013 · Lever-Clamp question.

Cableaddict
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lever-Clamp question.

UPDATE:

I got my RRS leverclamp.
Sure enough, my plates now drop right in.
I'm also glad to see that my cheapo Chinese plates fit just as tightly as my RRS plates. Sweet!

- And so nice to now be able to keep both safety pins installed in my plates.

I'm not thrilled with how much the RRS lever sticks out, but it's been mentioned plenty of times that no one really has a problem with this, so I guess I just have to get used to not worrying about it.

------------------

QUESTION: I need a few more leverclamps. Are there any imported ones that DO open far enough for the top-loading?

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lever-Clamp question.

The tip end of the RRS lever clamp lever usually ends up tucked under the lens plate, or tucked under the front of the camera body, which protects it quite well from catching it on things. If you are bushwhacking, you perhaps should not be using a lever clamp. For most all other photographic work, the lever will not catch on anything, and you are fine. If you worry, use the safety stop screws, and the half open position will very likely keep your bracket or plate in place. For me, I take all my safety stop screws out, and never use them.

With the Really Right Stuff lever clamp, you have a well engineered and well manufactured lever clamp that you will soon be able to operate instinctively by feel without looking at it. I would suggest that you stay with the RRS family for future lever clamps, possibly in one of the three different sizes depending on use, and perhaps reserve your cost savings to getting screw clamps for needs where the speed of operation of a lever clamp does not matter.

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lever-Clamp question.

Cableaddict wrote:
UPDATE:

I got my RRS leverclamp.
I'm also glad to see that my cheapo Chinese plates fit just as tightly as my RRS plates. Sweet!

I'm not thrilled with how much the RRS lever sticks out, but it's been mentioned plenty of times that no one really has a problem with this, so I guess I just have to get used to not worrying about it.

------------------

QUESTION: I need a few more leverclamps. Are there any imported
...Show more

Some of the reviews at Amazon claim this Sunwayfoto lever clamp works with RRS plates:

http://www.amazon.com/SUNWAYFOTO-Duo-Lever-Compatible-DLC-60-Sunway/dp/B005GXUMP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374134977&sr=8-2&keywords=sunwayfoto+lever+clamp

I haven't tried their lever clamp but use two of their screw clamps are they're very well made and top load with my two RRS L-plates.

Jul 18, 2013 at 03:14 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lever-Clamp question.

Cableaddict wrote:
UPDATE:

I got my RRS leverclamp.

------------------

QUESTION: I need a few more leverclamps. Are there any imported
...Show more

In what way are you referring to sticks out? If anything it is designed to not stick out.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lever-Clamp question.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, and to echo what Stan mentioned, the tip of the lever for a Really Right Stuff lever quick release clamp is designed to reside under the Arca Swiss plate or bracket that it is holding on to. So that tip is really tucked up out of the way for almost every thing you would clamp on to it. I find the RRS design simple but elegant, highly functional, and truly designed for speed of use, and that opinion is coming from a Mechanical Engineer who has looked at the design of a lot of things.

The Sunwayfoto lever release clamp that was linked above has the end of the lever kind a little bit more out in the open, but it might not be too bad as far as catching. But it has a safety latch system that requires you to move the little latch before opening the lever on the clamp from clamped to half open, and then requires you to again move the latch to open the clamp all the way. To me the latch would be way too much bother, but then again I am used to the RRS lever clamps. I can assure you from many years of experience that the RRS lever clamps are fast and easy to open and to close, and are very secure.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lever-Clamp question.

The design of these latches with secondary locks introduces a higher level of complexity to make up for a relatively poor understanding of the concept of simplicity of form and function.

Edited on Jul 20, 2013 at 01:49 PM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2013 at 02:31 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lever-Clamp question.

I agree. The Manfrotto RC2 and RC4 clamps also have secondary releases. It's not much of a problem when you're used to it, but it's one of many reasons that I moved to A-S plates and clamps a few years ago.

The RRS lever clamps I now use on my monopods allow me to drop the monopod at a moments notice, when my subject transitions from static to dynamic activities.

Jul 20, 2013 at 06:53 AM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lever-Clamp question.

Well heck, I never realized my Sunwayfoto lever release had that "halfway" position. Weird that they don't tell you think in any advertising or packaging info.

- But like Jim, I much prefer the RRS clamp on my monopod.

On a tripod, it doesn't matter as much, though it's still more of a pain than a convenience. What the heck is the point of having the plate loose-but-not-free? I do like the Sunway's safety button, though. I'd love to see RRS add something like that to the end of their lever.

Jul 20, 2013 at 09:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lever-Clamp question.

Adjustment for balance or functional fit at various times. Some have a use for it some don't.

The relevance the so called safety button can be a limiting factor for some use too.

Yet another spring loaded addition that has limited use for some and a higher potential for failure. The RRS design does without it.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.