Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

Edward Rotberg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

I have been a PS user since PS 1 (admittedly at that time for my business and not photography). I am personally taken aback by the gall displayed by Adobe with the whole CC subscription thing. This has also been the consensus among the local pros that I have discussed this with.

I don't make my living with my photography, but it is my passion. My workflow requires PS, and LR may be where I start, but every image I process goes through PS. Besides, I suspect it won't be long before LR is also shoveled onto the CC path. I've had all sorts of people tell me that I could make do with Picasa, Gimp, Pixelmator, ... These are folks who if they have ever used PS, have only used it at the most shallow level. Currently, there is NOTHING on the market that does what PS does. Which leaves me in quite a quandary.

So what are your opinions about Adobe's new subscription model? At least they have not extended it to Lightroom - yet. Since I am currently using CS5, at this point I am planning to upgrade to CS6 just to have the last version available. Right now I can probably afford a year of $10 per month for CC, but after that it goes up to what, $20 per month? $30 pr month? That is harder to justify. I have never used any other software that was subscription based and which would completely stop working once your subscription ran out. While I can probably afford the $10/moth now, a year from now, if I am retired, $20/month will be very difficult to justify.

I'd love to know where all of you stand on this. I would hope that Adobe would also like to know.

= Ed =

Jul 07, 2013 at 08:47 PM
aubsxc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

Photography is a passion for me and I don't make a dime from my pictures. I don't need Adobe to make pictures and I plan to keep using my PS CS6 perpetual license as long as possible. I'm sure alternatives will become available in the course of time if Adobe does not relent from their rental only model.

Jul 07, 2013 at 09:31 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #3 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

Hi Ed,

I'm hoping I can finally say that I'm in my post-Adobe days...there's been nothing of value to me that's been added to Photoshop since I started using it back in v3.0.5...my hope is that this move to the cloud will energize their competition to poach their customer base with competitive tools, and me along with them. Like aubsxc, I do this for personal satisfaction and don't see a cent for any of what I do. That I also paid for both CS2 when I went to a G5 running OSX, and again to CS5.5 when I went Intel OSX, methinks they've gotten enough of my hard earned cash for one lifetime...perhaps a lifetime upgrade license for PS veterans is more in order here!

Jimmy G

Jul 08, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #4 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

jimmy462 wrote:
Hi Ed,

I'm hoping I can finally say that I'm in my post-Adobe days...there's been nothing of value to me that's been added to Photoshop since I started using it back in v3.0.5...

Well we share initial version numbers, but surely you don't mean that adjustment layers, filter fades and smart objects have found no place in your workflow? I understand that they're not essential (as in indispensable) but they surely have added value to the program for me. Puppet warp, not so much.

I do agree that lately the OMG additions to Photoshop have been MIA, and I plan to ride my last version into the dirt.

Jul 08, 2013 at 01:27 AM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

Ho1972 wrote:
Well we share initial version numbers, but surely you don't mean that adjustment layers, filter fades and smart objects have found no place in your workflow? I understand that they're not essential (as in indispensable) but they surely have added value to the program for me. Puppet warp, not so much.

I do agree that lately the OMG additions to Photoshop have been MIA, and I plan to ride my last version into the dirt.

+1

I NEED many of the PS features, like smart filters, adjustment layers, and a number of others. But I will use CS5 or CS 6. I have no desire to install software that will eventually just stop working.

= Ed =

Jul 08, 2013 at 01:33 AM
dadagallery
• • •
p.1 #6 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

I started with PS 2 and have upgraded every chance except 1 since, but I'm looking for a new program in the future rather than the CC.

Jul 08, 2013 at 01:40 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #7 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

Ho1972 wrote:

Hi Ho1972, etal,

FWIW, 3.0.5 had layers. My main reasons for round-tripping an image through PS have pretty much always been to moving a keeper into a wider gamut at 16-bits per channel and uprezzing before applying any exposure correction tweaks through curves, etc. Then applying any needed cropping and then down-rezzing, resizing and gamut changing back to my output of choice. A pinch of sharpening, if needed. My needs, I suppose, are a lot simpler than others...I've pretty much been a "if I didn't "get it right" in my camera with composition, moment or lighting it ended up as a tosser" kind of guy. Heck, my, um, RAW's back in '95 were slide and film scans done on a UMAX 24-bit flatbed over SCSI! And, today, my digital RAW conversions are almost exclusively done in DPP, I've always loathed the Adobe interface for that kind of work.

Now, for those in need of regular support, and all the fancy doodads, filters and "Art Department" image manipulation tools, I "get it", and I feel your pain that you're being extorted into a subscription. But for me, give me a full 16-bit per channel and multi-gamut tool by the time I'm ready to upgrade my computer and I'm out of Adobe land. All the equivalent darkroom development and printing tools have already been electronically recreated for the past twenty years, I don't know what Adobe thinks they're selling.

Anyhoo, that's how it looks from my corner of the universe.
Jimmy G

Jul 08, 2013 at 02:36 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #8 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

dadagallery wrote:
I started with PS 2 and have upgraded every chance except 1 since, but I'm looking for a new program in the future rather than the CC.

+1

Jul 08, 2013 at 02:48 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #9 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

I plan to continue using PS CS6 for as long as I can. I'm betting that the competition will fill this void by the time I need a replacement. There are already programs that are close although I prefer PS. But if I was forced to, I could and would adapt. No comments on Adobe's latest direction but it doesn't work for me personally.

Roger

Edited on Jul 08, 2013 at 03:05 AM · View previous versions

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

No.

EBH

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:04 AM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

For most of Adobe's software I will hang on to CS6, but CC might tempt me for something like Dreamweaver that really does benefit from regular updates as web coding norms change fairly quickly. Dreamweaver seems to be getting more and more cumbersome with each successive release, but sadly this is another market that Adobe seems to have monopolized quite well since buying Macromedia.

The bigger question is how many corporate users will jump on the CC bandwagon. That is one aspect that will determine uptake by individuals in the longer run.

I will also be much more wary of "bug fix" update patches for CS6 versions from now on. I do not trust Adobe to not start surreptitiously "persuading" us to switch to CC in some way. As it is, the last update I applied to a few CS6 programs resulted in a change in startup behavior that my firewall alerted me to.

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:26 AM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

pipspeak wrote:
As it is, the last update I applied to a few CS6 programs resulted in a change in startup behavior that my firewall alerted me to.

Care to enlighten us further on this?

The ubiquitous-ness of the cloud showing up in everything these days is, I guess, a good thing, as long as it remains optional. I've been backing up to the cloud for more than a year now, so Adobe is trying to shove a feature down my throat that I have absolutely no need for. Certainly, CC wouldn't be backing up anything other than my photography files, so it is a complete waste for me. Those files, in fact all of my files are already backed up this way.

Just the thought of Big Brother watching over my workflow sends chills up my spine. I do hope the corporate community balks hard at this new version. I hope Adobe starts to feel the pain. The sample size of this poll is pretty small, but so far, it is trending towards a large number of folks abandoning the CC ship. The old model worked well for Adobe. If this is an attempt to reduce piracy, I hope it blows up in their faces, because it is definitely misguided. They are hurting their paying customers with this move, and if the trend of this poll is any indication, they will lose more money than they will make up with such an ill-thought out policy.

All just MHO.

= Ed =

Jul 08, 2013 at 02:37 PM
campyone
• •
p.1 #13 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

No but I don't find any of the poll choices accurate for me. The closest would be "No way, this is highway robbery" except that I don't know whether it's highway robbery or not. For all I know it's a very fair price. But whether it's fair or is highway robbery, $20 a month is about $10-$12 a month more than I've been paying for upgrades.

The last upgrade that made a major difference for me was CS4. I've upgraded to CS5 and 6 and while there were a couple things on each that I use, for me the upgrades weren't worth the cost. I suspect that future upgrades through CC will be more of the same, PS is a pretty mature program at this point and revolutionary improvements in the future seem unlikely. So I'll stick with CS6 as long as I can, which I think will be a pretty long time.

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:05 PM
momo_nyc

p.1 #14 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

I'm finally starting to look at this Adobe change as a way for me to save some money. First, saving about 240 euros because I won't be updating Photoshop CS6 this year. Second, I'll be saving 250 euros a year, at first, when I don't sign up for Adobe's subscription offer. The savings will only go up as I expect the monthly fees to slowly rise.

Some expenses will be incurred down the road as I try software from other companies. There will be some cost for new books, learning materials, that I once spent to learn Adobe software programs.

Today, I have no idea what I'll replace Photoshop CS6 with, but I can use it for a few years as I try out other software. I expect Lightroom to go subscription too, although right now Adobe says it won't. Not sure what I'll replace Lightroom with, but investigating what other software manufacturers offer. All this will stir the creative/intellectual pot and will be a good learning experience.

I do wish Aperture from Apple was 'better'. It seems there are some with doubts about an Aperture 4 ever appearing. I hope Apple doesn't let it become spindrift. Maybe they'll introduce an even stronger product to go up against Adobe's Lightroom.

The next 18 to 36 months will show how my choices have been the right choices. No way I'm going to pay a monthly fee to rent software.

I played with pixelmator for a few weeks and bought it. I like the feeling of supporting a company that is not Adobe. I hope the folks at pixelmator continue to grow. Sure, it isn't Photoshop, but I like the feeling of supporting a company that may eventually give Adobe some competition. Hope for others as well. NIK. onOne. Capture 1. Aperture. Topaz. I'm hoping they jump on this opportunity and give Adobe the competition they truly need.

I'll probably buy PhotoLine sooner or later. pl32.com and maybe Photo Ninja. I'll at least give their trials a shot. And by the time I'm ready to give up on Lightroom, I think Capture One Pro from Phase One will be a good replacement with their catalog structure.

There's some stress about change. But I'd rather deal with that stress than with a company I no longer trust or have confidence in.

Adobe has a bad business attitude. Take this or nothing. We don't need 10 percent of our old customers. I no longer matter to them.

Au revoir Adobe.

Ed, I did click on the vote of having CS6 and hope Adobe sees their error, but I honestly don't believe that will happen. It is a pretty big price increase, but I'm not sure it's robbery. The lack of choice while at the same time paying near double, that's what gets my goat. So much bla bla about all this already. And who are we talking to? We talk amongst ourselves out of frustration, anger. It's not fun being treated like crap. The accountants and execs at adobe have a plan. I bet they stick to it. And if they ever offer something to replace photoshop, a perpetual license deal for something more than Elements but less than Photoshop CC, I don't believe I'd give Adobe any more money.

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:15 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

momo_nyc wrote:
I do wish Aperture from Apple was 'better'. It seems there are some with doubts about an Aperture 4 ever appearing. I hope Apple doesn't let it become spindrift. Maybe they'll introduce an even stronger product to go up against Adobe's Lightroom.

I too am concerned we haven't seen anything in the form of a significant offering to the next iteration of Aperture from Apple. I too was concerned about Aperture's future ... though, when they updated the Aperture SDK (something that hasn't been done since Aperture v2) it went a long way in offering some positive indication that Aperture still has a future. I can't recall a developer updating an SDK for an end of life product. I'm hoping this fall we will see a small avalanche of new products from Apple ... and not just on the hardware front.

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

I joined the Cloud as I received an offer I could not refuse. I do earn money from photography so it is just an expense. At least I have access to the entire suite and as a small business I do not have to come up with $2600 for the suite in one go. Currently at $20 per month for a years is very reasonable. Even when it goes up to $50 it is still better to budget this amount rather than the lump sum of hard cash.

Regarding Aperture. I still prefer this to Lightroom. I just find lightroom too cumbersome. People have been saying that Apple is giving up on Aperture and where is version 4. Who cares on the version number because what has been happening is that they have been updating version 3 with some hefty stuff. All the latest cameras are supported so they are maintaining the current version for free. No need to pay for a new version when the current version has the updates. I am sure they will come out with a new version later in the year.

Look at Final Cut Pro. Everyone was up in arms because users were stuck in the past. The new version made it easier to use and they did not like it. The one feature that Apple screwed up on was multi camera support but they did fix that.

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:48 PM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

I have been watching this poll for a while now. The totals change bot for a couple of days now, the percentages that I'm interested in have not varied much. While an admittedly small sample, it seems that 85-90% of people will definitely not be going to Adobe CC for a long while, if at all. Another 4-5 percent are undecided.

While I'm sure that I'm being naive, I remain hopeful that Adobe may yet see the folly of this new policy and amend their plans.

Thanks to all who have participated.

= Ed =

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #18 · Do you plan to move to Photoshop CC?

Contrary to what may have been posted or the "poll" reports, all the 'pro' shops I know of have gone in to the cloud.
I don't see Adobe reversing any time soon, anyway.

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:08 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password