Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

moresnowdays

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

So, like many I have a flash on a bracket with my camera allot of times. I've been trying to figure out if I want to try something like the small flash benders with diffusion screen to make a small softbox.

This led me to looking at things like the Winglight, Demb Flip-it, Lumiquest Quickbounce, Promax and Softbox III. I'm wondering what is the best solution to avoid raccoon eyes and soften the light for best results.

Is many others using any of these? What's your favorite flavor?

Jul 07, 2013 at 12:54 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

Sometimes, when there's a dark ceiling, or no ceiling at all, I use a Demb Flip-it. That's it. Otherwise, I try to stay off-cam with fill only. (in the same manner)

Jul 07, 2013 at 01:43 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

What's a bracket?

Seriously, if it's high, white ceilings, i'll still bounce....iso 1600-3200, 2.8, 1/60-1/100s, gel'd flash at about 1/8 power (for high ceilings....).....If there's DARK ceilings, or NO ceiling, i'll pop a diffuser on (think sto-fen, or the little tupperware one that comes with nikon flashes), same camera settings as before, but i set my flash to TTL, and set my FEC (flash exposure compensation) to between -2 and -3ev....spot metering....and still gel'd....

And, of course, i only do the TTL/diffuser thing when i'm not using off camera lighting...as in, if i just cant set any up, or at an event where i'm roaming about over a large area....most wedding receptions, even outside, i'll use off camera lights as well....

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:04 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

Oh yeah, no bracket for me in about a billion years now. lol

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:21 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

NathanHamler wrote:
If there's DARK ceilings, or NO ceiling, i'll pop a diffuser on (think sto-fen, or the little tupperware one that comes with nikon flashes)

Mostly what I've read is that using a Sto-Fen type diffuser when there is no ceiling will not yield an improvement in image quality. It was said that there really would be no change in the image other than cutting back the light output of the flash.

From personal experience, I can't say. Sometimes I think I've seen a softening of the light; other times it looked like no difference. I do think it's probably easier on the subjects' eyes if they are looking directly at a diffused flash going off as compared to a bare flash.

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:14 PM
moresnowdays

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

D. Diggler wrote:
Mostly what I've read is that using a Sto-Fen type diffuser when there is no ceiling will not yield an improvement in image quality. It was said that there really would be no change in the image other than cutting back the light output of the flash.

From personal experience, I can't say. Sometimes I think I've seen a softening of the light; other times it looked like no difference. I do think it's probably easier on the subjects' eyes if they are looking directly at a diffused flash going off as compared to a bare flash.

For those occasional instance perhaps a Lightbox III might be somewhat ideal? You get to through more light, but more diffused that just bare direct.

Sounds like most don't use any of this and deal with light on stands. For those that area strictly off camera only shooters, or in that realm, is an assistant with a flash on a pole more a norm/necessity for you as well?

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:05 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

A stofen typr diffuser kind of mimicks a low power bare bulb flash head. Ligth will bounce off a lot more than just the ceiling so you should get some softening of the light, regardless as long as there are objects for the light to hit. But it's usually pretty subtle unless those things are really close. I'll use one occasionally. But mostly I'd just bounce of a side wall or something to get a bigger light source.

Gordon

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:22 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

I don't really get how these plastic thingies are marketed towards pros....

I'll take my 20x10 foot ceiling/wall vs. any number of Tupperware any day. No/dark ceiling? I'm betting there's a wall you can use. Short of a huge brick warehouse-type setting, I'll bet I can bounce off of something. And if not? All off camera. Yongnuo triggers are cheaper than any Fong Dong anyways...

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:44 PM
pette87
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

rogue benders? are a good option?

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:53 PM
GuyFoto

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

Sunbounce has an interesting solution - the Bounce Wall, which simulates bouncing flash off a wall by using a bracket to hold a card far enough from your flash that you can control the angle, just like bouncing off a wall. Given the number of event situations where the ceiling is high or the walls colored, it gives anyone who has mastered bounce flash a plan B. It also gives you a quick option for shooting a pose or two outdoors.

Rick Friedman has a great tutorial on how to use it best.

The Sunbounce version is very high tech with a ball joint and works well, but it costs $125, and every additional card costs extra. Being a cheapskate, I rigged up a presentable version for a lot less money. You can find it on my blog: http://guyphoto.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/diy-bounce-wall/ .

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

mikethevilla wrote:
I don't really get how these plastic thingies are marketed towards pros.

A lot of people are using 'em! I, personally, don't but ...

Jul 21, 2013 at 03:37 PM
GuyFoto

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

mikethevilla wrote:
I don't really get how these plastic thingies are marketed towards pros....

I'll take my 20x10 foot ceiling/wall vs. any number of Tupperware any day. No/dark ceiling? I'm betting there's a wall you can use. Short of a huge brick warehouse-type setting, I'll bet I can bounce off of something. And if not? All off camera. Yongnuo triggers are cheaper than any Fong Dong anyways...

There are three natural audiences for what I call 1% gear. They are the same whether it's photography or cooking or fishing:

1. Beginners who think that every problem has a piece of equipment as its solution. Since people who go down this path rarely master their craft, they are always open to buying the next trendy gadget.
2. Gearheads, who like to buy everything. They enjoy research, shopping, and collecting more than creating.
3. Pros, who need a plan B and C and D, so will try out a lot of possible solutions. They recognize which ones work for them and master them. They shelve the rest, as they have to work nimbly and assuredly.

I love reading the forums because many enthusiasts and pros will trash any gadget that does not fit their working style and explain in excruciating detail how the ones they choose to use work marvelously. I can tell by reading those posts exactly why or why not I should buy one.

I learn a lot by what people swear by and swear at.

Jul 21, 2013 at 04:19 PM
asparkes
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's on your flash when on a bracket to move freely about?

If I can't bounce -- and, most of the time I can -- I just pull out the little plastic bounce card and put the 14mm diffuser on. Done.

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:26 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.