Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Botswana safari?

hobbes382

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Botswana safari?

I've been on safari to Botswana several times and am considering returning next summer. It is one of my favorite places in Africa. Botswana is an incredible place for viewing and experiencing Africa's wildlife. Photography opportunities can be amazing, and tourist numbers are kept very low. That also means it can get quite expensive, especially for single travelers.

If anyone is interested in joining me in forming a small group of 2 to 4 photo enthusiasts to help keep single supplement costs out of the picture, and perhaps get a private vehicle to focus on our passion for wildlife and photography, please let me know or pm me.

I'm considering traveling next July or August to the following Wilderness Safari camps:
Duba Plains (4 nights?)
DumaTau (4 nights?)
Selinda (3 nights?)
maybe Mombo (maybe not - depends on what kind of prices we can get; it's quite pricey, but is in a fabulous location)

Please let me know only if you have serious interest. I am not a safari/travel agent in any way. I want to go back to Botswana in the worst way, but single supplements send costs over the top for what I want to do.

Just to tease you a bit, here are some shots a took two years ago in Botswana.....

Cheers,
Hobbes

Wild dog

Now famous lone wild dog at Mombo

Jul 07, 2013 at 05:44 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Botswana safari?

Wish I could go Hobbes, but I can say this is an extra nice set ~ Ron

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:54 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Botswana safari?

Fantastic action you have captured in the buffalo take-down sequence. Too many good images to pick faves. Superb stuff.

Jul 08, 2013 at 02:44 AM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Botswana safari?

Oh! Wow!

No wonder you want to go back.

Amazing photography, especially of the wild dogs and the Lilac Roller. Lion shots aint too shabby, either.

Gene

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:36 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Botswana safari?

Super capture of the wild. Thanks for sharing.

- Tam

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:45 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Botswana safari?

Wonderful selection of images with so much great stuff.
Makes me envious.
And I just returned from safari!!

I heard the African Wild Dogs were endangered. If the species is dwindling, you may have captured most of them!

Scott

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:38 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Botswana safari?

Great set!

Paul

Jul 09, 2013 at 05:13 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Botswana safari?

an awesome set Hobbes.. far to many to make any picks

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM
redmule
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Botswana safari?

Amazing series. A few of many favorites: Your Elephant reflection shot, Caracal & the Leopard with the gaping wound on his side are all very cool. Nice job!
Kevin

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Steve Shinn
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Botswana safari?

Nice work. I've not yet been to those camps.

You might, if you have it, say the approx dates, costs etc.

What carrier are you thinking of using if any or are you just going to book the camps, air connections etc. independently?

The three of us were able to usually get a vehicle, ranger and tracker to ourselves... along with the traditional "sundowneres" or course..

I love my family but... it would be nice to travel with like minded folks who are more in tune with the photographer's needs.

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

israeljruiz
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Botswana safari?

Great shots!!!!!

What set up did you take with you? Lens,camera, bags?

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:31 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Botswana safari?

Great stuff indeed. I also love Botswana; I'm going there in Aug. I use different camps but your selection appears to be excellent based on what I see here. Love the dogs. And it's a very safe country to travel in. Don

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:42 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Botswana safari?

Great stuff indeed. I also love Botswana; I'm going there in Aug. I use different camps but your selection appears to be excellent based on what I see here. Love the dogs. And it's a very safe country to travel in. Don

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:42 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Botswana safari?

Great set, good luck with your upcoming adventure

-Tim

Jul 10, 2013 at 06:41 AM
hobbes382

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Botswana safari?

israeljruiz wrote:
Great shots!!!!!

What set up did you take with you? Lens,camera, bags?

Thanks!

I was shooting with a Canon 7D and 40D. The vast majority of shots were taken with the 70-200 f/4 and the 300 f/2.8. A smaller number were taken with the 17-40 f/4. I had both the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters for the 300 (which takes the teleconverters very well), but only used them a few times. In general, I didn't need more reach than the 300. I use a Tenba sling bag for the 300, and the Thinktank Airport Antidote for all the other camera gear.

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:33 AM
hobbes382

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Botswana safari?

sbeme wrote:
Wonderful selection of images with so much great stuff.
Makes me envious.
And I just returned from safari!!

I heard the African Wild Dogs were endangered. If the species is dwindling, you may have captured most of them!

Scott

African Wild Dogs are critically endangered. The estimates I saw last year are that there are approximately 3000-5500 African Wild Dogs left.

That was an amazing sighting. We were sitting with a herd of elephant as they were passing both sides of our vehicle. Our guide was watching elsewhere through his binoculars and suddenly yelled out "Dogs!!" He spotted their white tipped tales bobbing above grass in the distance. He slammed the vehicle in gear and we high-tailed it to where he saw them. A group of wild dogs had just killed an impala. We missed it by only a minute or two. It was a small island where they cornered and killed it. As we sat watching them feast, we heard the squeaking of more dogs all around us. The rest of the pack had arrived. They were very excited and came running through the water to join the feast on the small island. It was amazing to watch them great each other, play, eat, and have a grand old time. It only took about 15 minutes and there was nothing but bones left. Amazing.

The next morning we returned to the same general area where the kill happened, and found some of the adults on a walk with a whole bunch of pups. What a wonderful privilege to see that!!

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:45 AM
israeljruiz
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Botswana safari?

Awesome ! Thx for sharing!

-is

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:28 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Botswana safari?

Amazing series ! Some truly wonderful shots. However only ONE bird shot ?!?

I'm looking at a Safari in the near future but it will probably be SA and Botswana and it seems more than likely 2014 now I'm afraid.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Botswana safari?

Hobbes, what a great set , Africa is on my bucket list , but not next year, Thanks for the offer
Paul

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM
321photos
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Botswana safari?

Fantastic set with lots of variety - thanks for sharing!

Mark

Jul 12, 2013 at 05:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password