Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              8       9       end

Archive 2013 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

Caveat that I'm not sure if this should be in Alt gear or Canon forum. I thought I'd post it here since it is mirror-less, a new mount, and can be adapted easily. Just thought I would get this started with my EOS-M.

IMO, having owned the X100, this is a better smaller camera for my uses albeit no hybrid optical viewfinder. Its two main drawbacks are no EVF option and no jog dial besides the awkward 4 way dial. Then again, you can switch lenses and you get 18mpx instead of 12mpx.

The sensor might have a smidgen less dynamic range than the X100 but the AF with the newer firmware is far faster and locks on without hesitation and doesn't get confused easily. There's also no loose EC dial to switch inconveniently.

The body is made in Japan and feels mostly all metal. Build quality wise, I'd say it's far better than your typical rebel tXi. It feels slightly nicer than my E-PL5 and OM-D if I'm honest. it is very solid and premium feeling except the battery door which isn't great but about par.

I see little reason to get this over a Sony NEX-3N since you at least get a tilt screen with that although with not as nice of a build and horrible menus. You do also get a hotshoe. The reason I got it was because of the lens, 22mm F2 is a 35mm equivalent. The lens is very good although not lightning quick in focus. Nobody makes a 35mm equivalent fast prime in this size short of the X100.

_7070066.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_7070068.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

Edited on Jul 07, 2013 at 05:06 PM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:59 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

Some samples although I did some heavy processing.

Jul 07, 2013 at 05:01 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

Any plans to adapt lenses to it? I think this is where the system interests me the most. Combine it with the new sensor released in the 70D (assuming it has decent characteristics), and this could be a serious alternative to the NEX line for alt lens use, yet with good compatibility with my existing EF collection (granted, the EF lenses will be huge on it).

The current firesale prices for this camera are quite tempting. Is that what hooked you?

Jul 07, 2013 at 05:07 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

I think the 40mm EF is a good candidate for adaptation.

IMO, I might get the kit 18-55 because apparently it's very good. I no longer own any canon lenses after I sold off my T1i a few years ago. However, if I shot with a 70D or 60D, this would be a no brainer backup camera to have.

As far as adapting other lenses, I don't think anyone should pick this camera over a NEX because the 16mpx Sony is a better sensor and you can get an EVF and peaking on some of the NEX cameras.

rscheffler wrote:
The current firesale prices for this camera are quite tempting. Is that what hooked you?

Yup, and the 22mm F2 lens.

Jul 07, 2013 at 05:09 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
I think the 40mm EF is a good candidate for adaptation.

IMO, I might get the kit 18-55 because apparently it's very good. I no longer own any canon lenses after I sold off my T1i a few years ago. However, if I shot with a 70D or 60D, this would be a no brainer backup camera to have.

As far as adapting other lenses, I don't think anyone should pick this camera over a NEX because the 16mpx Sony is a better sensor and you can get an EVF and peaking on some of the NEX cameras.

also, the 1.5x versus 1.6x crop factor makes the NEX slightly better for adapting lenses.

i probably would have bought one of these at $300 just for the 22mm lens if i didn't just buy an rx-1.

Jul 07, 2013 at 05:43 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
IMO, I might get the kit 18-55 because apparently it's very good.

They packed three aspherical elements and a "four-stop" IS into it, so I'd be curious to see how it performs. The samples I've seen look very good, even at the wide end.

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Peire
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

There is no such good (299USD) offer in Europe.If it were I would probably buy EF-M+22mm,despite lack of tilt LCD and need to buy another adapters for my lenses.

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:10 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

freaklikeme wrote:
They packed three aspherical elements and a "four-stop" IS into it, so I'd be curious to see how it performs. The samples I've seen look very good, even at the wide end.

Problem is I already have one of these which is smaller and goes on a nicer sensor (E-PL5)
http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1400/cat/15

If I didn't, this seems not bad.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1532/cat/11

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:16 PM
asbalyan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

I am not pro or experienced like you guys.... .. But I have used Canon 350D as well as XSi.. and now moved to X100 and NEX-5... Not sure its LR updates or sensor, but its almost day and night difference what I can get from over exposed areas from new set up (NEX and X100) compare to old Canon...
About underexpose/shadows, old Sigma DP1 (not M) is still king for me... and then comes X100...
Sadly, I converted Sigma to full spectrum now... Though enjoying IR results..

BTW, high ISO noise from Canon became deal breaker for me...

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:49 PM
jwin
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

NIKKOR-PC 105/2.5 @ F2.5

Canon FL 55/1.2 @1.2

Zeiss ZE 100/2.0 @2.0

Canon EF-M 22/2.0 @2.0

Canon EF 45 TS-E @f9.0

Canon EF 200L/2.0 @2.0

Canon EF 100-400L @f5.6

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
Problem is I already have one of these which is smaller and goes on a nicer sensor (E-PL5)
http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1400/cat/15

If I didn't, this seems not bad.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1532/cat/11

I wasn't at all impressed with the 14-42 II on the EP-2, but that may have just been camera.

Jul 07, 2013 at 07:27 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

jwin wrote:
Canon EF 200L/2.0 @2.0

Nice shots, jwin. I would love to see what the camera looks like mounted on this one if you have the inclination to shoot it.

Jul 07, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

^^^^^^ fantastic shots above with a multitude of great lenses on the M! Mine arrives Friday with the 22mm, and I can't wait. I don't think I'll put all my lenses on the M, but I'm def looking forward to using my C/Y 50 1.4 and C/Y 80-200. The 80-200 is small enough that I think it'll be a great fit!
Gregg

Jul 07, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

^^^^^^ fantastic shots above with a multitude of great lenses on the M! Mine arrives Friday with the 22mm, and I can't wait. I don't think I'll put all my lenses on the M, but I'm def looking forward to using my C/Y 50 1.4 and C/Y 80-200. The 80-200 is small enough that I think it'll be a great fit!
Gregg

Jul 07, 2013 at 07:32 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

freaklikeme wrote:
I wasn't at all impressed with the 14-42 II on the EP-2, but that may have just been camera.

I've always thought the same thing but looking at some of my favorite shots, it was taken with the Oly 14-42 II R, big optical improvement over the 14-42 I.

There's also the fact that 4:3 at 14mm will be wider and record more data than Canon APS-C at 18mm.

Jul 07, 2013 at 09:43 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
I've always thought the same thing but looking at some of my favorite shots, it was taken with the Oly 14-42 II R, big optical improvement over the 14-42 I.

There's also the fact that 4:3 at 14mm will be wider and record more data than Canon APS-C at 18mm.

No argument there. The first version I had on the EP-1 was terrible.

Yeah, but even if the Canon sensor were at 1.5, at a focal length normalized against a specific field of view for a 36x24mm sensor, 14mm on the M4/3s versus 18mm on a 1.5 APS-C for example, the M4/3s will capture a greater area by virtue of the aspect ratio. Our standard for equalizing the field of view is based on the long edge of the sensor only, so the only way to draw a direct comparison is to normalize the aspect ratio.

Jul 08, 2013 at 12:03 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

I was under the impression that, given an equivalent field of view, the 4:3 was recording more information because of the top and bottoms.

I thought I saw this demonstrated when someone showed a 24mm equiv FoV from MFT vs that from APS-C.

Forgive the outer border but I just did that for visual effect.

Jul 08, 2013 at 12:16 AM
sflxn
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

Interesting rumor on Canonrumors. There's going to be a "pro" EOS M targeted at FF users. They're also developing their own version of a speedbooster for EF to EOS M. I wonder if that includes fast AF.

Jul 08, 2013 at 12:22 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
I was under the impression that, given an equivalent field of view, the 4:3 was recording more information because of the top and bottoms.

I thought I saw this demonstrated when someone showed a 24mm equiv FoV from MFT vs that from APS-C.

Forgive the outer border but I just did that for visual effect.

Yeah, that's a perfect illustration. I think we're saying the same thing here. I originally thought you were saying the 1.6 crop factor of the Canon was the reason the M4/3s 14mm would be wider than 18mm.

It's odd to me that the long edge of the 135 format continues to be the standard by which we discuss FOV equivalency, since aspect ratio makes it very much an apples to oranges comparison, except when talking APS-C/H versus FF, since the aspect ratio is maintained.

Jul 08, 2013 at 02:53 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon EF-M Mirrorless Thread

More pictures pls.
I'm kind of curious how easy it is to manual focus?
I really hope they implement some kind of peaking system in the higher end camera utilizing the Dual Pixel sensor.

Sadly, if they build a focal reducer, it will probably kill any chance of a FF sensor.

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:02 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password