New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · ?? about pocket wizard system

egd5
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ?? about pocket wizard system

I'm leaning toward the pocket wizard flex/mini system for my Nikon system. I know the flex/mini will do all I want and more. It is the more part where I wonder if there is some way I could save money. I don't care about i-ttl, I will just shoot in manual. But I DO want the ability to adjust power levels from the camera. I have 3 flashes and the SU-800. I'd like ideally to be able to use the 3 flashes in a tri-flash setup in an umbrella and control the power from the su-800 on the camera. I've watched several videos from the pocket wizard site and know I can do thin with the flex/mini system, BUT, they are so darn expensive. So, tow questions,
1. Is there a way to combine some other pocket wizard component that is cheaper into the mix that will still do what I want? Like maybe just use a plus as a receiver instead of the flex. Since I don't care about ttl would it still fire the flash and allow the power to be adjusted through the mini/su800 on camera?
2. If not 1 above, is there some type of cable or cable splitter system that will allow me to use only one flex to control 2 (or 3) flashes?
BTW, I already have radio popper px system and cactus5 system. I don't like the rp system because of its menus and attachments to flashes, and the cactus just doesn't do all I want. I've been looking at various systems and so far the pocket wizards seem to fit my needs best, other than the high cost. But I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks for reading a long post.

Jul 07, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Batty_F

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ?? about pocket wizard system

I think the power settings are part of the PocketWizard "ControlTL" system which AFAIK is only available on the MiniTT1/FlexTT5.

Splitting the FlexTT5 signal seems to have been attempted a few times but without success. It might be worthwhile to ask the person who operates this site: http://michaelbass.blogspot.com/2007/01/misc-custom-connections.html#PWFlexTT5Splitter

Jul 07, 2013 at 01:41 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ?? about pocket wizard system

Do you need Hypersync?
If not, why not the Radiopopper JrX Studios for manual power control...much less expensive flashes (about $80-90?)

Jul 07, 2013 at 02:18 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ?? about pocket wizard system

Thanks guys. I looked at Michael bass' site, I'll read it more thoroughly later, thanks.
I looked at the jrx and got all excited until I saw that it works as a trigger only, no power adjustment, for sb 900/910. Of course that's what I have. I'll study it some more, maybe I read it wrong. I'm curious what the Nano is they say is coming soon.

Jul 07, 2013 at 02:51 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ?? about pocket wizard system

Except the Radio Poppers don't work consistently! Buy the PW system and be done with it, TT5s have sold here used for as low as $125 each. You just have to catch a deal!

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:29 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ?? about pocket wizard system

Yes, I'll buy from here. Almost all the camera gear I own came from FM.
I must admit, my radio popper PX system has never failed, It's just a pita to use. And if you ever get the units out of synch it's not simple to get them back again.

Jul 07, 2013 at 10:39 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ?? about pocket wizard system

Yongnuo triggers might work for you. They apparently work on all Nikon bodies except for D800's and D4's.

Jul 08, 2013 at 06:42 AM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ?? about pocket wizard system

I looked at them. I believe they do work on the D800, but not on the D3s or D4. I have a D3s. They do look good though and get a lot of good reviews.

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:40 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ?? about pocket wizard system

I have the SU-800 and the PW Flex system and I love them both but I haven't found anything more accurate and reliable than the PW product. It's worth every penny.

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:41 PM
MaunaKea7007
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ?? about pocket wizard system

Like my Odins (always work) but they lack that special Nikon hypersync feature. (I use them with Canon)

Jul 12, 2013 at 03:40 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ?? about pocket wizard system

I go 'round and round'. Now I'm thinking I will get both the odin system AND the strato II system. The strato receiver can be used as a receiver for the odin too. I can get both systems for about the same cost as the mini/flex system.

Jul 12, 2013 at 07:20 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ?? about pocket wizard system

RJKphoto wrote:
Except the Radio Poppers don't work consistently! Buy the PW system and be done with it, TT5s have sold here used for as low as $125 each. You just have to catch a deal!

Radiopopper systems have a much better track record vs the PW flex and mini. Only after PW upgraded the mini and flex were they any sort of reliable. PW plus 2 and 3's on the other hand are the best hands down.

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:17 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.