Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First Harvest

pixarezzo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First Harvest

Let the C & C begin. Please!

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:52 PM
trilce84
• •
p.1 #2 · First Harvest

I think the overhead lighting is too hot

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · First Harvest

I would agree the lighting is harsh. I also wonder if this is a lighting or other photography exercise. Why did you shoot this and what are you looking to accomplish?

Jul 06, 2013 at 11:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · First Harvest

+1 @ hot/harsh, but that isn't what bothers me about it ...

It looks kinda unnatural to me with the darker shadow band sandwiched between brighter areas both above and below and the darker shadow cast by the subject. Natural lighting doesn't typically fall this way, except maybe when it is reflecting up off of snow or water for some underside fill.

Edited on Jul 07, 2013 at 12:54 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2013 at 12:45 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #5 · First Harvest

I'm curious about the background -- it attracts my eye even more than the real subjects.

Jul 07, 2013 at 12:50 AM
pixarezzo

p.1 #6 · First Harvest

Tough crowd - but I like it that way.

I agree on the harsh lighting - but it was all I had at the time. I did take a couple shots in the shade, but the resulting picture looked very flat.

'Natural lighting doesn't typically fall this way,...'

Don't know what to say about this comment - the lighting was all natural so the reflected light is what it is. If you look at the cast shadows, you can see that the sun was directly overhead and as noted was harsh.

Thanks again for the comments - keep em coming.

Oh, and the background is a very weathered good-neighbor fence and a favorite backdrop of mine.

Jul 07, 2013 at 02:06 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · First Harvest

Hmmm @ natural lighting. Is this a reflection on the right side, or something else?

Did you pull up the shadows in post? Maybe that would explain the lighter areas on the underside, or was there something acting as a fill reflector?

Something just looks odd to me at the lighter underside, and yet it is positioned in shadow from the sunlight.

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:09 AM
pixarezzo

p.1 #8 · First Harvest

Man, oh man. I completely missed that blemish on the right edge of the right tomato that you circled. I think the damaged edge of the hole is creating an unnatural highlight. I swear I turned any blemishes away from the camera.

I did review the PP file (LR5) - I reduced the exposure -.55 and bumped the shadow +50.

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

newhaven
• •
p.1 #9 · First Harvest

This is the saturation mask for the image as posted. White areas = 100% saturation. The red channel is blown out. The colors look muddled. Everything else is fine.

Edited on Jul 07, 2013 at 04:53 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:52 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · First Harvest

Shadow bump ... gotcha. That likely explains much of what I was referring to. Thanks.

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:53 AM
newhaven
• •
p.1 #11 · First Harvest

I used the apply image command to copy 20% of the green channel to the red channel. I believe it looks a lot better.

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:00 AM
pixarezzo

p.1 #12 · First Harvest

You lost me. I'm still trying to figure out the saturation mask thing.

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:12 AM
newhaven
• •
p.1 #13 · First Harvest

The histogram shows that the image is a little overexposed especially in the red channel. The easiest way to fix this is reducing the exposure in raw. I just tried to repair the red channel by copying detail from the green channel.

Jul 07, 2013 at 01:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · First Harvest

Nice job with the apply command.

Care to share steps/mode. I've mostly been using channel/apply command with monotones, not having advanced to using it in color work yet.

Jul 07, 2013 at 03:02 PM
newhaven
• •
p.1 #15 · First Harvest

Sure.
Duplicate the background layer. Then make the red channel of the duplicate layer the active or work layer. Make all of the channels visible so you can see how the apply image command changes the entire image. I applied the red channel through the saturation mask. There is a check box in the apply image command to select a mask. Or you could make the saturation mask an active selection. Adding detail from the green channel through the saturation mask just adds to the blown areas. I set the opacity in apply image to 20% and then adjusted the layer opacity to approximately 70%.

I have a plug-in called Channels Power Tools. But, you can download an optional hsb filter from adobe. I have cs5, so I'm assuming it's still available. The hsb filter or Channels Power Tools will give you a saturation mask.

I think you can also use the channel mixer adjustment layer and adjust increase the green component of the red channel and mask the changes with a mask.

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · First Harvest

Okay, thanks.

I'll see about working through it with color. It's excellent for mono control and creating masks from channels ... now onto the next level of use, i.e. color. I've only recently begun using channel mixer, so I've got some more to learn about controlling it.

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:11 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password