Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

melane3

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

Can someone explain to me why more than 50% of the sellers on this website refuse to ship items to Hawai'i, even if they will ship an item via regular USPS Priority Mail. As one of the fifty American states, we pay the same price for stamps and regular mail (< 5 lbs, I think) as our fellow americans in the other 49 states. For example, I can ship a small Priority Mail package to New York for $11.30, the same price it costs a Kansan to ship to New York.

Yet a seller in San Diego will ship to NY (2400 mi away), but refuse to ship to Hawai'i (2600 mi away). Why? I have no idea. I do realize that UPS, FedEx, and heavy or large US Mail packages cost more, but not regular mail.

Why would sellers ignore Honolulu a city of > 1,000,000 people, who mail order items routinely, because Hawai'i is a very expense place to live. I personally drop over $10,000 annually at Amazon, eBay, Best Buy, Apple Store, and numerous other websites.

Why all the statements like, CONUS only, no shipping to Hawai'i, etc, even when the sellers are shipping small or medium USPS Priority Mail? Is it just a knee-jerk action because too many people do not understand US geography and how the US Postal System functions?

Just wondering.

Jul 06, 2013 at 09:52 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

1) USPS doesn't accept all package sizes.

2) Tracking a package is more sophisticated with the other carriers.

3) Some people have accounts with FedEx or UPS, not USPS.

4) Flat rate Priority Mail boxes are on the smallish size. When you use your own box the price difference between the P.O. the other carriers is about the same. UPS & FedEx will wrap your packages for you...at a price. This is a plus for those who don't have shipping supplies. With USPS you are on your own.

5) Not everybody likes USPS. Others are misinformed, thinking there is a potential hassle shipping beyond the 48. That may not always be the case, but the seller tries to keep costs down, or is sometimes asked to absorb the shipping.

Each FM buyer/seller is different. There are many people here who wouldn't give shipping a package to Hawaii a second thought, IF the buyer agrees to the shipping charges. That is the roadblock.

PS. Not shipping to Hawaii might also have to do with the fact that you only have 4 posts. You don't list your state or city in your profile, nor any equipment.. If you are only on FM to buy/sell will have some resistance until you start contributing more.

Edited on Jul 07, 2013 at 01:39 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2013 at 12:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

I always shipped to HI and AK, but charged the buyer the difference for increased shipping costs.

EBH

Jul 07, 2013 at 01:36 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

Why no shipping to Canada? Why no shipping to Somewhereelse?

Really, it's up to the seller. If you're not in the described area, then send a PM to ask if they'll ship to your location. If the answer is no, then it's no. 'Why' doesn't figure into it.

Jul 07, 2013 at 02:06 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #5 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

jcolwell wrote:
Why no shipping to Canada? Why no shipping to Somewhereelse?

Really, it's up to the seller. If you're not in the described area, then send a PM to ask if they'll ship to your location. If the answer is no, then it's no. 'Why' doesn't figure into it.

Besides Canada, Hawaii, and Alaska there is no "somewhere else". Know of any New Yorkers turning down shipping to New Jersey?

Jul 07, 2013 at 02:48 AM
gutterscum

p.1 #6 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

Try being in Australia and wanting to buy from US members lol.

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:22 PM
melane3

p.1 #7 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

Just to be clear, I am discussing sellers that are shipping via US Priority Mail small, medium, or large normal-sized boxes with tracking and insurance. If they will ship that package from Oregon to Florida, I wonder why they would not ship it for exactly the same price to Hawai'i. I find that odd.

Also, these sellers list no shipping to Hawai'i in their original posts, so it is not about me. Interestingly, if one is requesting payment via PayPal, one should be more concerned with a buyer's eBay/Paypal transaction record. I research people's FM record before I contact a seller; however, before money is exchanged, I pay much more attention to their eBay/PayPal record.

FYI, I am not commenting on the no shipping to Hawai'i statements because I am denied access to photographic equipment - if anything I buy way, way too much. An interesting point is that I buy much of my equipment from China, Korea, Japan, and Canada, and most of these sellers have no qualms about shipping to any American state.

Foreign sellers will ship to Hawai'i, yet > 50% of the American sellers on FM will not. Like I said, I find that odd.

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:56 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #8 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

I find it odd that you are pressing the point. Are you expecting sympathy, or answers from those not involved in your problem? You could ask the sellers directly. There are only general answers to your question. To say half of the people you have dealt with (?) don't ship to Hawaii because they aren't as informed as other sellers residing overseas is not going to make many friends here.

Jul 08, 2013 at 02:17 AM
mpix345
• •
p.1 #9 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

Well, if people are shipping in USPS flat-rate boxes and refusing to ship to Hawaii they are probably ignorant about the rates. But how would you know they will use a flat-rate box from their ad?

It's really as simple as shooting someone a PM to discuss.

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:48 AM
melane3

p.1 #10 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

Borderlight, the reason I raise the issue is to raise awareness. Sympathy has nothing to do with it. People who read these posts very likely are a few of the people to might come to realize that normal shipping to Hawai'i costs that same as the other 49 states.

It would seem that my goal is obvious.

As for not making friends, I would point to your numerous condescending remarks as exhibit A.

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

melane3

p.1 #11 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

mpix345,

I started this discussion after I offered to buy a relatively small $1200 lens from a seller, who advertised US Priority Mail shipping with tracking for $12 (which likely means normal shipping in a medium Priority Mail box), and he responded flatly, "I do not ship to Hawai'i."

In my original PM to the seller, I said that I know he listed CONUS only, but I asked him to check the USPS website to determine the exact cost to ship to Hawai'i (which would be the same). Yet, he just responded, "I do not ship to Hawai'i."

I did do business with a great FM seller a couple of weeks ago, so the issue is not universal. It is widespread, however.

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:21 AM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

This is one of those face palm, B/S gripe threads: "I'm right, damn it!"

I am one of those people who decline to ship outside of CONUS due to cost. FedEx/UPS rates, IIRC, were substantially more for HI. I also don't like using USPS because tracking just sucks with them. When I do receive stuff through USPS, the gear usually arrives at my front door before the tracking showed any movement.

I did use USPS on a buyer's request once. The tracking was right on: my lens went from LAX to Boston at first, then to Seattle, and finally arrived at SFO. I was freaking out during the entire weekend because I thought the lens was going to a wrong destination.

It has been a while since I've sold anything, however. I also "never" use a standard vendor box.

The comparison between foreign businesses and individual sellers is really not a great one. We can't speak to the reasons for these businesses who are willing to take on additional risk with foreign transactions.

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:22 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

As a Canadian, I could never understand why some US sellers won't ship to certain states... shipping from here, it costs the same regardless of which state I ship to, including Alaska/Hawaii.

Jul 13, 2013 at 06:32 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

gutterscum wrote:
Try being in Australia and wanting to buy from US members lol.

I sold a Canon 1D to a fellow in Melbourne. The buyer compensated me for actual shipping cost and for currency conversion. I filled out the customs forms. Everything went smoothly, though Australian customs held on to the package for about two weeks before he was able to get the camera.

I've shipped multiple times to Europe, Brazil and Australia. But I was dealing with friends who were prepared to risk shipment without tracking or insurance. I've sent rather expensive lenses that way using USPS First Class International shipping, which is very inexpensive. Not only has there never been a problem, most times the package never reaches customs. I always fill out the forms accurately, but apparently when a package is shipped through normal postal service, it receives less attention than one shipped by the major carriers. They appear always to be picked up by customs.

Again, I do that with friends willing to risk losing their investment, which not many people are willing to do, especially when dealing with strangers.

Jul 13, 2013 at 06:52 PM
melane3

p.1 #15 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

Just to be clear, I started this discussion in reference to sellers who ship via regular-sized small, medium, or large Priority Mail boxes (See first post). I far as I can determine at the USPS website, the cost is the same for shipping to all 50 states. Therefore, I asked why so many sellers who advertise shipping packages by this specific method will not ship to Hawai'i. This is a perfectly valid question, as I buy thousands of dollars of photographic equipment annually - all of it shipped to Hawai'i - most of it shipped via USPS mail

Yes, FedEx, UPS, and other methods are more expensive, but those are not the method I am referring to. But in regard to those methods, however, why not just ask the buyer to paid the additional cost, instead of excluding an entire American state? The cost can be quickly determined on the shipping agents' websites.

An amazing aspect of this discussion is why a few posters seem so upset by someone asking a reasonable question.

Jul 13, 2013 at 08:48 PM
melane3

p.1 #16 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

Molson,

I agree completely. I have not had the opportunity to ship to Canada, but I have purchased numerous items from Canadian vendors and individuals. In all instances, shipping was fast and reasonably priced.

Insurance and tracking is readily available, also.

Michael

Jul 13, 2013 at 08:53 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #17 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

Your opening statement in the original post had a negative tone and an obvious speculation with no way to verify it (the 50% bit). If you want to promote a constructive discussion, perhaps reconsider how you start it. As for the issue itself, it will always be a case-by-case basis, so there was never a chance for a final answer from this thread.

Bolster your rep with some positive posts and establish yourself as an upstanding FM member, as that will also help. I know it's a Catch 22, but some people will be uneasy about selling to any member with little feedback, regardless of the location.

Jul 13, 2013 at 09:51 PM
melane3

p.1 #18 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

My record on FM (nor for that matter, my 100% eBay rate dating back to 1999) have nothing to do with people posting CONUS only in their original posts. It is obvious that they are referring to every in my state, not just me.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

But choice of words can make a difference. Had you said "I'm very frustrated that sellers are willing to ship to CONUSA but not to Hawaii where I live..." Your frustration becomes the point rather than the crazy (according to you) behavior of sellers. The 50% figure is a WAG and no one who visits this thread is going to go do a census to find out whether you're right or wrong. But the fact you're frustrated is one that no one can refute. If all you want to do is rant, you're welcome to say whatever you wish, but don't expect folks to line up and cheer for you, especially since you have invested so little in this website. Not much sympathy from folks who have. But rant away... it is still a free country and Fred is remarkably generous in how he moderates the threads.

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:04 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #20 · Why no shipping to Hawai'i?

"I reserve the right to decide what shipping service I use, where I ship to, and whether I need the shipping costs, including insurance to be covered by me, my buyer, or jointly. This is based in part on costs, product value, risk of loss, and the reputation/attitude of the buyer."

This is the motto I live by when shipping anything. I am open and honest on all transactions, and if the buyer has a special request, I will reasonably consider it. I have shipped internationally (probably around 10 different countries now) and to non-CONUS states and APO addresses for years now, but have been selective based on this creed.

Others obviously have a more conservative view on risk and cost, and in some cases hassle. Selling somebody a lens outside the US that requires going to the local branch that might be a great distance away to fill out a customs form, etc may just not be what a person wants to spend their time or gas doing.

I have a shipping center in my basement for my online business, so this is less of a concern for me personally but not so for others. Just PM a seller and discuss it, each person will undoubtedly have a different answer, or might reconsider their stance.

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password