Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Deaths at The WAVE

scraptag
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Deaths at The WAVE

Just saw this on Yahoo news. So sad. But also reminds me that no shot is worth risking it all.
LinkLink

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Deaths at The WAVE

The elderly should be especially careful of dehydration and heat stroke, etc.

It's a good idea to have a satellite phone when you are in the middle of nowhere.

EBH

Jul 07, 2013 at 01:08 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Deaths at The WAVE

Sad, but this is inevitable when people venture out into the wilds without suitable preparation. The easy modern western lifestyle means that many folk don't realise that nature can still be very dangerous.

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Mickey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Deaths at The WAVE

"The easy modern western lifestyle" ?

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:30 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Deaths at The WAVE

Mickey wrote:
"The easy modern western lifestyle" ?

I think he's referring to Western Norway.

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Deaths at The WAVE

Well, we don't have as much snow in the west as you do, but there are plenty of difficulties in hot weather.

EBH

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:52 AM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Deaths at The WAVE

The Norwegians supposedly had to deal with Ice Giants and Asgardians (Thor), and a rogue Nazi general (Captain America.) Our way of life is too easy!

Jul 10, 2013 at 06:25 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Deaths at The WAVE

I mean that the major risks we face in our lives do not relate to nature or natural forces. The most dangerous things we do in life are drive cars, cross roads etc. and for almost anything even remotely dangerous there is a sign warning us of the danger. And if there isn't, you can sue. This leads to a sort of trained complacency, where people assume that the absence of a warning sign means that there is little danger.

Norway, incidentally, suffers similar problems with folk (generally foreign tourists) going out into the mountains completely unprepared. They don't understand that a GPS only works while the batteries have charge, nor the procedures for surviving a snowstorm in winter and don't realise that there is no mobile phone coverage. Occasionally there are some that don't understand that annoying an Elk or Musk Ox for a photo is a stupid idea too.

I have great sympathy for the couple who died, but at the same time i can't help feeling that walking out into a desert without sufficient water and shade is basically asking for trouble to come your way.

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:10 AM
gutterscum

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Deaths at The WAVE

Died doing what they loved.

Bastard of a way to die though.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Deaths at The WAVE

I mean no disrespect for the couple that died - though I must confess confusion as to why they would have done such a thing - but 15Bit is correct. I live deep in the Sonoran Desert. It does top 115F. One can literally be 50 miles from water. Saguaros provide no shade.

To enter and pass thru life without being aware that we live on an awesome but deadly planet is a truly sad form of ignorance. Every vehicle I've ever owned has always carried fundamental tools, minimalist shelter, heat/cold protection, the ability to signal and to start a fire, water, and at least a week's worth of dried/preserved food. Yes in many case it has been c-rations finally upgraded to MRE.

Truth is that I don't believe that automobiles will really keep working and I don't want to end up anywhere without at least an edge to aid in survival. And yes, as nice as a GPS is maps are still invaluable.

I go out into this desert at least weekly, but I never do so without all of the above. If I'm walking I always take water, a protein bar or two, a good hat, and good boots. If the weight is too much I leave equipment behind, not water.

15Bit is so correct. So much of those in or from Western European cultures no longer know life while utterly beautiful is also completely deadly.

Sad story.

Robert

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:59 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password