Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Are people getting less polite?

Armee
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are people getting less polite?

I have been here a while and did many transactions with hundreds of people.
But I don't know if it's me,but it seems that some people are getting less polite.
Let me explain,whenever I send a message,often lately,I'm not getting a reply back.
Now I know that some will say,I will ignore some offers etc etc,but common courtesy dictates
at least a "no thank you" reply.
I might be old fashioned but I always reply to any offer or counter offer.
Any input and/or opinion will be appreciated.
Armand...

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:56 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are people getting less polite?

It's unfortunate, Armand. Seems to be a 'new breed' of eBay types lately, that are just
interested in the Buy and Sell. Word has gotten out how great it is and they come here
with no sense of community and don't care to share. Their loss, ignore and be glad you
are part of the family...manners intact.

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:45 AM
bin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are people getting less polite?

Depends on the offer. I generally reply to sincere and reasonable offers. But within the last 2 years, lots of crazy people have come on board like trench says making strange and ridiculous offers that I don't even bother replying anymore. A few examples:

1) I was a selling a battery. And some guy offered me a lowball. And then I noticed he was also selling the same battery for higher than my asking price. So it seemed to me like he was trying to lowball me so that he can flip the battery and make a profit on it. I didn't think that deserved any replies.

2) I was selling a camera for a price reasonable for a mint condition camera. Some guy lowballed me a price that you couldn't even get for a 7+ condition camera. So I ignored him. Then he makes another offer upping the price slightly. I was just like, stop playing games and don't waste my time. Some people just do it to see if somebody will bite.

In general if you're nice, sincere, and reasonable with your offer, I will reply. Otherwise, PM gets deleted immediately.

Jul 07, 2013 at 10:32 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are people getting less polite?

trenchmonkey wrote:
that are just interested in the Buy and Sell.

That sounds like you are describing the OP. He's had essentially no posts outside the buy/sell forum.

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:30 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are people getting less polite?

Seems to be a 'new breed' of eBay types lately, that are just
interested in the Buy and Sell.

The rest of the sentence should probably be quoted, Dan
Armand has a solid 5 yrs of lurking and we've exchanged numerous PMs
over the years. Some folks are more into gear and not much on posting
their work, or don't feel comfortable w/leaving comments. It's all good.

Jul 07, 2013 at 12:45 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are people getting less polite?

A WTB had me waste an entire morning photographing lenses, filters, hoods and adapters for him. Then he didn't reply for 2 days and finally when I pinged him he low ball offered on 2 of the items and asked me to send them to Vietnam.

What a waste.

Jul 07, 2013 at 08:24 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are people getting less polite?

I agree with the sentiment expressed by Will. This site is about so much more than the Buy and Sell board. In fact, that feels like a different world from the gear and presentation forums. Personally, it took me some time to warm to other elements of FM, so I don't have judgment of those who focus on buying and selling. I like to say that "kit building is forever." That is true, but limiting oneself to that single forum is to miss out on a very rich experience. I'm much less interested in what happens on the Buy and Sell forum than I am in what happens elsewhere on this site, and frankly, I think we're doing quite well, which is contrary to what OP is commenting upon. Again, I think Will is right. We've had a rush of folks who recognize that paying a subscription fee on FM is MUCH cheaper than paying fees on E-Bay and hence have brought their business here... for better and worse. More than ever, it becomes critical to do due diligence with every buyer. Although I don't often buy here, I put a premium on dealing with folks who've demonstrated their trustworthiness. Newcomers won't likely be hearing from me.

So if the Buy and Sell board doesn't suit your needs, you might want to drop into another forum that tickles your fancy and get to know some of the great folks who spend time on this site.

Jul 08, 2013 at 02:02 AM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are people getting less polite?

Armee wrote:
I have been here a while and did many transactions with hundreds of people.
But I don't know if it's me,but it seems that some people are getting less polite.
Let me explain,whenever I send a message,often lately,I'm not getting a reply back.
Now I know that some will say,I will ignore some offers etc etc,but common courtesy dictates
at least a "no thank you" reply.
I might be old fashioned but I always reply to any offer or counter offer.
Any input and/or opinion will be appreciated.
Armand...

Sorry to hear that Armand, but it seems it goes both ways. I replied to a PM for one of the items I am advertising in the Buy and Sell forum. I offered him a price for an item that was LNIB. The person gave me a counteroffer that I could not accept. When I told him that I had to respectfully decline his counteroffer, I was given a pretty rude response.

While I do agree that people are getting less polite in general, sometimes you have to weed through garbage to get to the good stuff.

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are people getting less polite?

It is worse by the day.

EBH

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:24 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are people getting less polite?

“There is an old German fable about porcupines who need to huddle together for warmth, but are in danger of hurting each other with their spines. When they find the optimum distance to share each other's warmth without putting each other's eyes out, their state of contrived cooperation is called good manners. Well, those old German fabulists certainly knew a thing or two. When you acknowledge other people politely, the signal goes out, "I'm here. You're there. I'm staying here. You're staying there. Aren't we both glad we sorted that out?" When people don't acknowledge each other politely, the lesson from the porcupine fable is unmistakeable. "Freeze or get stabbed, mate. It's your choice.”
― Lynne Truss, in Talk to the Hand

Jul 08, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are people getting less polite?

&*!#^% , #*%... ! IMHO of course... #@%

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Are people getting less polite?

trenchmonkey wrote:
It's unfortunate, Armand. Seems to be a 'new breed' of eBay types lately, that are just
interested in the Buy and Sell. Word has gotten out how great it is and they come here
with no sense of community and don't care to share. Their loss, ignore and be glad you
are part of the family...manners intact.

Will:
You're quite right.
My only point being is that like mom used to say, a thank you or a please doesn't cost nothing
but goes a long way..:-)
Let's keep the community and respect going...............

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:04 AM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Are people getting less polite?

Binh Ly wrote:
Depends on the offer. I generally reply to sincere and reasonable offers. But within the last 2 years, lots of crazy people have come on board like trench says making strange and ridiculous offers that I don't even bother replying anymore. A few examples:

1) I was a selling a battery. And some guy offered me a lowball. And then I noticed he was also selling the same battery for higher than my asking price. So it seemed to me like he was trying to lowball me so that he can flip the battery and make a profit on it.
...Show more

Binh:
I see your point but I more often than before get no reply.sometimes I even re-message,still no reply.
I don't want to make it sound like it's the majority because it ain't,
But it's increasing nonetheless.

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:08 AM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Are people getting less polite?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Seems to be a 'new breed' of eBay types lately, that are just
interested in the Buy and Sell.

The rest of the sentence should probably be quoted, Dan
Armand has a solid 5 yrs of lurking and we've exchanged numerous PMs
over the years. Some folks are more into gear and not much on posting
their work, or don't feel comfortable w/leaving comments. It's all good.

Will:
Thank you for coming to my defense buddy.
I am on the forum quite often and read and read,whenever I have something in
my opinion of substance,I will contribute.Otherwise I am content reading and pondering.
BTW,I am exclusively on FM ,not a member of a dozen forums,,!!

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:16 AM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Are people getting less polite?

MaxBerlin wrote:
A WTB had me waste an entire morning photographing lenses, filters, hoods and adapters for him. Then he didn't reply for 2 days and finally when I pinged him he low ball offered on 2 of the items and asked me to send them to Vietnam.

What a waste.

My point exactly.....

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:17 AM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Are people getting less polite?

CGrindahl wrote:
I agree with the sentiment expressed by Will. This site is about so much more than the Buy and Sell board. In fact, that feels like a different world from the gear and presentation forums. Personally, it took me some time to warm to other elements of FM, so I don't have judgment of those who focus on buying and selling. I like to say that "kit building is forever." That is true, but limiting oneself to that single forum is to miss out on a very rich experience. I'm much less interested in what happens on the Buy and
...Show more

Well dear sir,if the buy sell forum doesn't interest you that is your choice.
I never complained about the forum in general bur rather but the politeness of some members
on the Buy and sell.

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:21 AM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Are people getting less polite?

honorerdieu wrote:
Sorry to hear that Armand, but it seems it goes both ways. I replied to a PM for one of the items I am advertising in the Buy and Sell forum. I offered him a price for an item that was LNIB. The person gave me a counteroffer that I could not accept. When I told him that I had to respectfully decline his counteroffer, I was given a pretty rude response.

While I do agree that people are getting less polite in general, sometimes you have to weed through garbage to get to the good stuff.

A bit harsh but you see my point..:-)

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:24 AM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Are people getting less polite?

EB-1 wrote:
It is worse by the day.

EBH

Thank you.....Just saying...

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:25 AM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Are people getting less polite?

DanBrown wrote:
“There is an old German fable about porcupines who need to huddle together for warmth, but are in danger of hurting each other with their spines. When they find the optimum distance to share each other's warmth without putting each other's eyes out, their state of contrived cooperation is called good manners. Well, those old German fabulists certainly knew a thing or two. When you acknowledge other people politely, the signal goes out, "I'm here. You're there. I'm staying here. You're staying there. Aren't we both glad we sorted that out?" When people don't acknowledge each other politely, the lesson
...Show more

Well put Dan,love it.Thank you for making my day.

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:26 AM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Are people getting less polite?

Jefferson wrote:
&*!#^% , #*%... ! IMHO of course... #@%

Thank you...#@%...

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:28 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.