Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Please help me to decide !!!

gabimaster
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please help me to decide !!!

I'm especially interested about opinions of people that actually own(ed) 5DMk2 and 6D. THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:40 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please help me to decide !!!

Can't beat -3EV

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:00 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please help me to decide !!!

This might help...

Canon 6D, 5D Mark III, 7D, T3i, 600D, 5D Mark II ULTIMATE Review and Comparison

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please help me to decide !!!

I recently sold a 5DII to help pay for a 6D. The 6D AF is better. I generally use only the centre AF point on these cameras.

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:09 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please help me to decide !!!

jcolwell wrote:
I recently sold a 5DII to help pay for a 6D. The 6D AF is better. I generally use only the centre AF point on these cameras.

Is that in single shot or AI tracking. My understanding is the 6d is better in single shot mode, but the 5d2 with it's 6 assist points is better at tracking.

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Please help me to decide !!!

Hi Harry,

Mostly One Shot. I reach for my 1DX and 1DIV for most AI Servo dynamic situations. Maybe I'll have a chance to test the old 6D on AI Servo, over the next few days.

Jim

P.S. even with the 1D-series AF monsters, it helps a lot if you can actually track the subject.

P.P.S. not you, specifically, I'm just sayin'...

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:10 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Please help me to decide !!!

I shoot weddings, and upgraded from 5d2 to 5d3 for the reliable offcenter AF points. Dark reception halls suck, and do in fact require the best lowlight AF you can find

Under what circumstances are you looking for a comparison?

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Please help me to decide !!!

StillFingerz wrote:
This might help...

Canon 6D, 5D Mark III, 7D, T3i, 600D, 5D Mark II ULTIMATE Review and Comparison

Very nice well made video with some really good, practical advice. Thx for posting. Everyone looking into a Canon DSLR should watch it.

Jul 06, 2013 at 11:56 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Please help me to decide !!!

Good camera though the 5D2 is (and it has excellent IQ even by today's standards), it only ever had one really accurate AF point.

All the AF points on the 6D work perfectly. That's just progress I suppose.

The 6D is a 'sweetspot' of a camera, smallish, lightish, goodish. I love mine.

Jul 07, 2013 at 03:44 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Please help me to decide !!!

dhphoto , you've actually noticed an improvement with the AF points other than the center cross-type one ? I saw you owned 5D Mk2 also.

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:40 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Please help me to decide !!!

gabimaster wrote:
dhphoto , you've actually noticed an improvement with the AF points other than the center cross-type one ? I saw you owned 5D Mk2 also.

Without doubt.

I have never been comfortable relying on the non-centre AF points on my 5D2, to the extent that I gave up using them at all, not so with the 6D.

AF was always the 5D2's biggest weakness.

The lack of the nipply multi controller on the 6D is a bit of a shame, but I've got used to using the other control ok

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:45 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Please help me to decide !!!

I have spoken with another 3 or 4 guys and they've told the same thing,but I wanted to be sure since I'm gonna buy 2 bodies of 6D (I like that the back-up body to be the same like the main camera;in fact there will be no main body , and that's because when I'm buying a new camera, I'm making some presets in LR for that camera , so it is a lot easyer to work with 2 identical bodies).

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:57 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Please help me to decide !!!

gabimaster wrote:
I have spoken with another 3 or 4 guys and they've told the same thing,but I wanted to be sure since I'm gonna buy 2 bodies of 6D (I like that the back-up body to be the same like the main camera;in fact there will be no main body , and that's because when I'm buying a new camera, I'm making some presets in LR for that camera , so it is a lot easyer to work with 2 identical bodies).

The 5D3 is clearly a better camera and for me has the advantage of having AF points where the eyes would be in portrait orientation plus in-camera backup but apart from those things the 6D is really a very sweet camera indeed.

Having two would be a good plan.

Jul 07, 2013 at 05:20 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Please help me to decide !!!

jcolwell wrote:

I did exactly the same and yes i have to agree the 6D is better.

dennis

Jul 07, 2013 at 08:24 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Please help me to decide !!!

Thank you so much guys !

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Mark K
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Please help me to decide !!!

It so happens my buddies were all using 5D2...and they compared my 5D3 with 6D, 5D2....6D is, quite fast in low light and beats my 5D3 using single AF point

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:26 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Please help me to decide !!!

One reason I didn't like 6D is its limited shutter speed. 1/4000 only that's the deal breaker for me.

I shoot f2 and below lenses at daylight...don't ask me it's my shooting style.

AF doesn't matter to me... I'm on Manual mode.

5d3 doesn't work for me either, can't change focusing screen...

so there you go... 5D2 all the way.

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Wildfire

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Please help me to decide !!!

I sold my 5D Mark II and replaced it with a 6D late last year. The 6D definitely has better autofocus. The center point can focus in situations much, much, much, much, much darker than the 5D2.

Additionally, the outer points are quick and accurate in good light. (they start to struggle in low light, so I rely on the awesome center point in dark situations)

I don't use Servo mode much but in my experience the 6D has performed slightly better. I find that the 6D is quicker to adjust focus when the subject changes distance and I have less out of focus shots with the 6D (both in number and to the degree of out-of-focus-ness) compared to the older 5D2. However, you shouldn't buy the 6D based on this, as it's still not a great AF system for tracking moving subjects. Get the 5D3 if that is important to you.

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:58 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Please help me to decide !!!

bushwacker wrote:
One reason I didn't like 6D is its limited shutter speed. 1/4000 only that's the deal breaker for me.

I shoot f2 and below lenses at daylight...don't ask me it's my shooting style.

AF doesn't matter to me... I'm on Manual mode.

5d3 doesn't work for me either, can't change focusing screen...

so there you go... 5D2 all the way.

I'd knock this, except that I used my 85/1.8 wide open on my 60D, and was at ISO100 and 1/8000 just to cope with morning light. Worked wonderfully, loved the effect, and the effective 136mm focal length along with that lens' fast and accurate AF turned the 60D into a great little close sports lens. I was obviously in the action, but it worked well.

So I was kind of disappointed with the 6D's limitation there- but I know I can work around it. I'll need ND filters if I'm going to do long exposures in daylight regardless, and that's something I'd surely like to try. Got my hiking boots on and broken in .

Jul 09, 2013 at 07:13 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Please help me to decide !!!

johnctharp wrote:
So I was kind of disappointed with the 6D's limitation there- but I know I can work around it. I'll need ND filters if I'm going to do long exposures in daylight regardless, and that's something I'd surely like to try. Got my hiking boots on and broken in .

john,

6D just won't cut it for my shooting style, and no I don't use ND filters, this will be difficult for me to manual focus, i want bright viewfinder..actually I don't do long exposures.

sorry bro.

people here liked 6D & 5d3 for specific reasons... one pro guy I know still using a 5d mk1 because of IQ compared to all 5d2, 5d3 and 6d.

5D3 is almost there for me, focusing screen is the problem. i hope the OP knows 6D's limitations if he is ok with those...well then go ahead. they have pretty good deals right now.

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.