Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lightroom, MacBook Air, and Windows?

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom, MacBook Air, and Windows?

To keep things nice and short, I'm thinking of picking up an MBA mainly for its battery life. This is what I intend to use when I'm travelling. At home, I use a custom built Windows machine and it's my main computer.

I find the Smart Previews to be a very handy feature especially for laptops. How can I incorporate that into my workflow especially if I'm going to be using a Mac as my portable computer and Windows as my main computer? Is it possible for me to work on the MBA and then get the catalog in the MBA to sync with my Windows computer?

I'm trying to figure out how this will all work as it seems a bit complex. Help?

Jul 06, 2013 at 09:50 AM
joshn
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom, MacBook Air, and Windows?

I have the same setup - hand-built PC at home, MBA for the road, but I've been using totally different tools on each so there's no syncing whatsoever.

What software are you going to be using on each computer?

I'm also in the process of trying to install Windows 7 on my MBA via Boot Camp. It should theoretically solve all my problems.

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom, MacBook Air, and Windows?

the OP wants to run the same catalogue for Ligtroom on the 2 machines .

as far as im aware this is possible . ive not used smart previews yet , but in theory this is what they are designed for.

I did just migrate from a WIN7 machine to a new imac , i upgraded to LR5 at the same time , but i just pointed LR5 at the cat file from my old machine and it did the rest . Obviously i have to re find my images (I had done tne prep before the change so this was quick and easy) , but this step should not be an issue with smart previews

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:08 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom, MacBook Air, and Windows?

joshn wrote:
I have the same setup - hand-built PC at home, MBA for the road, but I've been using totally different tools on each so there's no syncing whatsoever.

What software are you going to be using on each computer?

I'm also in the process of trying to install Windows 7 on my MBA via Boot Camp. It should theoretically solve all my problems.

I want to run Lightroom and using Windows on the new MBA have been proven to drain the battery faster than OSX.

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:16 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom, MacBook Air, and Windows?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
the OP wants to run the same catalogue for Ligtroom on the 2 machines .

as far as im aware this is possible . ive not used smart previews yet , but in theory this is what they are designed for.

I did just migrate from a WIN7 machine to a new imac , i upgraded to LR5 at the same time , but i just pointed LR5 at the cat file from my old machine and it did the rest . Obviously i have to re find my images (I had done tne prep before the change so this was
...Show more

What makes you think so? I don't like to work with assumptions. I need to know whether this will really work or not.

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom, MacBook Air, and Windows?

the catalog is OS agnostic. Once you copy it (or make it appear as local via Dropbox) LR will open it. As noted, due to the difference in naming conventions of the user's directories, you may (more like 'almost definitely will have to') have to 're-find' the root of the image tree and LR will do the rest.

What you cannot do is have the catalog on what the computer thinks is a network or shared drive.

You could put everything on a tiny 2.5" USB2/3 disk also.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom, MacBook Air, and Windows?

howardm4 wrote:
What you cannot do is have the catalog on what the computer thinks is a network or shared drive.

You can actually (in windows at least), you just have to be clever about how you mount the drives.

My preferred solution is a portable 2.5 inch disk in an e-sata enclosure.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom, MacBook Air, and Windows?

I'm aware of that. I chose not to recommend an unsupported (by Adobe's definition) mounting method

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM
mcbane

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom, MacBook Air, and Windows?

"I want to run Lightroom and using Windows on the new MBA have been proven to drain the battery faster than OSX."

Windows XP used to constantly have background file system activity and would kill batteries. I havent found that to be true with Win 7. Could be you dont have some extraneous disk indexing or antivirus process killing your battery.

Since you have a Mac, consider running Win 7 under VMWare. When Windows wedges you can reboot it super fast. And when it gets unstable or infected you can very quickly roll back to an earlier pre-infection snapshot of the VM.

Jul 23, 2013 at 03:14 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password