Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

retrait
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

The 4th of July fireworks in San Diego went smoothly this year. The sky got overcast beginning late in the afternoon and stayed throughout the night. The beautiful fireworks began sharply and showed off San Diego's celebration of the Independence Day with lots of spectators. People gathered the harbor and the park across to watch the tandem magnificent shows.

Thanks for viewing.

Tung

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:44 AM
Bryan Mordt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Very nice Tung, this photo has been a standout in the recent July 4th images on here.

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:55 AM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #3 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Bryan Mordt wrote:
Very nice Tung, this photo has been a standout in the recent July 4th images on here.

I agree!
cheers Andrew

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:50 AM
dhb820
• • •
p.1 #4 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Very nicely done!

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:13 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Best I've seen this year, well done.

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:34 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Fantastic shot.
Harsha

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:54 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Great composition capturing that scene!

Do you mind my asking how you processed this one? I noticed that your last shot posted a year ago of the Golden Gate also had this same "signature" golden look to it. HDR?

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:26 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #8 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Excellent image Tung. Looks like a great vantage point for the fireworks display.

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:16 PM
retrait
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Bryan Mordt wrote:

Thanks Bryan for your kind words. Going out shooting on the 4th was a fun event always.
-Tung

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:42 PM
retrait
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

AndrewThomas wrote:
I agree!
cheers Andrew

Thank your very much Andrew for viewing. Regards,
-Tung

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrait
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

dhb820 wrote:
Very nicely done!

Thanks Den for your kind words.
-Tung

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:43 PM
retrait
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

stanparker wrote:
Best I've seen this year, well done.

Thanks Stan. Glad you liked it.
-Tung

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:44 PM
retrait
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

harshaj1 wrote:
Fantastic shot.
Harsha

Harsha, pleasure to have your viewing.
-Tung

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:45 PM
retrait
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

ckcarr wrote:
Great composition capturing that scene!

Do you mind my asking how you processed this one? I noticed that your last shot posted a year ago of the Golden Gate also had this same "signature" golden look to it. HDR?

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your kind comments. Shot was in Bulb mode, to capture as complete of the fireworks series as possible (kind of 'manual' multi-exposure). Image was in raw, I used CS5 to process the image with a touch of the add-on NIK's Color Efex Pro and a slight run thru of denoise in Topaz. Hope that helps.

-Tung

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:57 PM
retrait
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Tuan Le wrote:
Excellent image Tung. Looks like a great vantage point for the fireworks display.

Thanks Tuan. This has been my prefer location for several years as it offers a nice San Diego skyline in the frame, but the park is getting so crowded. Walking for miles from street parking if you are not there earlier in the day.
-Tung

Jul 06, 2013 at 05:01 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #16 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

very nice, I tried using multiple exposure, but they were only being shot from one location so you just ended up with a mass of bright lights. I figure I'd get the same thing if I just did a long exposure, unlike this where they are in different locations & heights.

Jul 06, 2013 at 05:30 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Hey Tung,

What a cool shot! I really like the look of this and how you were able to capture so many different fireworks in one shot without having to stack images. Was this shot from Mission Bay? I have seen some cool firework shots from San Diego, if I am not in Colorado on the 4th next year, I think I might just have to make it down to San Diego to shoot them!

Jim

Jul 06, 2013 at 11:11 PM
retrait
• • • •
p.1 #18 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

MikeW wrote:
very nice, I tried using multiple exposure, but they were only being shot from one location so you just ended up with a mass of bright lights. I figure I'd get the same thing if I just did a long exposure, unlike this where they are in different locations & heights.

Thanks Mike for viewing. I'll explain in details how the shot was taken in my next post. Thanks for your kind words.

-Tung

Jul 06, 2013 at 11:45 PM
retrait
• • • •
p.1 #19 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

JimFox wrote:
Hey Tung,

What a cool shot! I really like the look of this and how you were able to capture so many different fireworks in one shot without having to stack images. Was this shot from Mission Bay? I have seen some cool firework shots from San Diego, if I am not in Colorado on the 4th next year, I think I might just have to make it down to San Diego to shoot them!

Jim

Thank you very much Jim for your kind comments.

The shoot was taken from Centennial Park in Coronado, this park has a look over the channel to San Diego harbor, next to the ferry pier. I choose this location as it offers the view of San Diego Skyline in the background.

I would like to explain in detailed steps on how the shot was taken. Hope this will benefit some viewers who would want to get the next fireworks event. The goal is to capture as many fireworks as you like in one shot.

I know there are several ways to achieve the same thing, but here is a run down how I did. (but first, I apologize if this might bore someone who has already been familiar with the process)

As noted, I indicated in my earlier post, 'multi-exposure', actually I opened and closed the lens using the black cardboard a few times to get fireworks, to the camera, it is only one exposure.

Camera settings:
Looking at this photo's exif, the shot was set at F/11, ISO/160, and a total of 8.7 seconds duration, White balance was left as AWB but it could have been better to be at 5100K. The focal length was at 24mm as I used the 24 TS-E lens. My camera was locked on tripod level to the ground (the TS-E was shifted up to capture higher the sky space while leaving the skyline building straight up, for those who is familiar with the TS-E know what I mean). Without the TS-E you would have to tilt your camera up 10-15 degrees to capture your frame higher in the sky, but the buildings might look a bit slanted)

So here are the procedures to shoot the fireworks:

-Camera steady on tripod during shoot.
-Use your remote shutter release cable
-Pre focus the background scene (if you use AF lens, set your lens to MF after focused). I found lens was about infinity focus.

-Set shooting mode to BULB
-Set other settings F/11, ISO 160, white balance 5100K etc. (note: you can flex your aperture and ISO according to your camera body and lens used)

-When the firework series started,
-Press and continue to hold the button of the shutter release.
-Cover your lens with a black cardboard
-Then remove the cardboard to capture enough the fireworks scene then quickly cover the lens back with the cardboard.
-Continue to cover the lens.
-as next scene of the next fireworks fire up, remove the cardboard again to capture that fireworks...repeat this until you feel you've have captured enough fireworks.

-Release the shutter cable to let the camera close the shot and record your image.

(Note: if you open the cardboard from the lens too long, you may get your shot over-exposed, also observe the firework as one may have lots of brighter light, there is no set rule of how long you remove the cardboard from the lens but you will have a feel as when it is about long enough to finalize the shot)

-Once the shot taken, quickly look at the played back image and continue on next series of fireworks and adjust the duration of cover the cardboard.

Hope this helps. I will be happy to answer any further questions if you PM me directly.

Best regards,
-Tung

Jul 07, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · 4th of July fireworks in San Diego

Wow, beautiful image.

Rob

Jul 07, 2013 at 02:04 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell