Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Little League Shots

yoshidude

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Little League Shots

Hello Everyone,

This is only my 3rd posting here at FM, so please let me know if I need to be doing anything different for participation in the Sports Corner.

I have some friends who invited me to their son's little league game last week, and I really had a great time taking photos. I'd appreciate any feedback, and am looking forward to continuing to improve.

I didn't have much of the action, as I was doing my best to get some individual shots of their son, but these are some of the one's I liked best.

All photos taken with Nikon D7000 and 80-200mm 2.8 w/ polarizer

Kind Regards,
Scott

Batter Up!

On Deck to be On Deck

Inflicting a little chatter to shake things up

Paper covers Rock!!

Intense focus

He caught a good game

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:22 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Little League Shots

#6 is your best. Comments to follow...

1) I don't like the crop. Either go head to toe, or crop at mid hip and go vertical. Either way, we need more legs or you get the tree stump look. It's also a tad soft.

2) Nice expression, but since it's such a layup shot, I would prefer it without the fence in this case.

3) Sorry, but nothing here.

4) Fence distracts.

5) Good. Next task is try and get ball in frame on a swing.

6) Like I said, I like this one the best. Good candid. Maybe take a little off the top.

Not sure why you are using a polarizer, but exposure and WB look fine.

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:51 PM
yoshidude

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Little League Shots

Thanks for the advice and critique. I do appreciate it. I mentioned the polarizer only because I'd left it on my lens without realizing it. It's amazing how stuff like that can happen, and in a 60 minute game, it was over in no time!

Thanks again. I look forward to another shot at making more interesting images.

Scott

Jul 07, 2013 at 03:14 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Little League Shots

yoshidude wrote:
Thanks for the advice and critique. I do appreciate it. I mentioned the polarizer only because I'd left it on my lens without realizing it. It's amazing how stuff like that can happen/b], and in a 60 minute game, it was over in no time!

Thanks again. I look forward to another shot at making more interesting images.

Scott

Scott if it is the only time, you are a rare breed.

Jul 07, 2013 at 03:25 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Little League Shots

Scott, I have to agree with Paul's suggestions. In the future, if you have to shoot from behind the fence there are a few things you can do to minimize its appearance.

1. The closer you are to the fence (I usually have the lens hood against the fence) the less noticeable the fence will be.
2. The farther your subject is from the fence the less noticeable the fence will be.
3. The longer your FL the less noticeable the fence will be.
4. The shorter your DOF (lower f-stop) the less noticeable the fence will be.

Keep shooting and posting, most here will try to be helpful (even if sometimes harsh).

Bill

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kris416
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Little League Shots

The 80-200 is a good lens! I had one before.

I agree with Bill about pressing that lens right up against the fence especially behind the batter to get great pitcher shots.

Also, agree with Paul on trying to get the ball in the shot with the batter swing, preferably at the point of contact (which is tough... for me at least!)

Last thing: (Paul this goes out to you too) I think cropping mid-thigh or waist high on a swing looks pretty cool if the bat/ball are in the shot.. what do you think?

Jul 12, 2013 at 03:40 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Little League Shots

kris416 wrote:
Last thing: (Paul this goes out to you too) I think cropping mid-thigh or waist high on a swing looks pretty cool if the bat/ball are in the shot.. what do you think?

Agree...

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Little League Shots

Paul is a probably the best person to listen to, but I will put my two cents in.

1. Besides being soft, there is a lot of dead space in the image. Also, the horizon is off a bit. Now, if this was tighter, and sharper, I have a lot of parents at this level that would buy this shot.

2. Yes, the fence sucks, but I am guessing that this was a grab, and I actually like it. I would like it more without the fence, but there are times when you just are in the wrong place at the right time.

3. I disagree with Paul here. There is something about this shot that I like. Playing catcher (when I was a LOT younger note: started at catcher, moved to center, finished in high school at short stop), I like the look on the catchers face, and I like the batter. That being said, it is missing something. Or, to be more accurate, it has too much of something. Too much separation between the batter and the catcher. Potentially changing position down the fence/line a bit to change the angle would give the illusion that the catcher and batter are closer. I think this one would not work if you were tight on just a player (either one). I can see why Paul does not like this, but I can also see how a parent would like this. It could be better, but it could be a lot worse.

4. Yes, the fence distracts some, but the angle distracts more. This is a toss up for me.

5. A little tighter would make this one real nice.

6. Unlike Paul, I do not like this one. Too much dead space at the top, and the look on his face is boarder line "I am about to cry" or "you caught me with my hand in the cookie jar."

Now, I am going to make some assumptions. You did not have field access. Whether it be because they had a photographer there, or you just did not want to walk out on the field, or they would not give you access, that is understandable. And I applaud you on shooting from the outside. Too many parents with cameras will just walk onto fields to shoot without regard for anyone, including themselves. That being said, shooting from the stands/outside the fence, these are not terrible in my opinion. Doing a favor for neighbors, they will probably be happy, but not ecstatic like they would if you gave them Paul Alesse quality photos.

Now, if you take what everyone here has said, and apply it the next time you shoot baseball, you will see improvement.

Jul 12, 2013 at 04:58 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Little League Shots

Carl Auer wrote:
3. I disagree with Paul here. There is something about this shot that I like. Playing catcher (when I was a LOT younger note: started at catcher, moved to center, finished in high school at short stop), I like the look on the catchers face, and I like the batter. That being said, it is missing something. Or, to be more accurate, it has too much of something. Too much separation between the batter and the catcher. Potentially changing position down the fence/line a bit to change the angle would give the illusion that the catcher and batter are
...Show more

I guess my issue with #3 isn't so much regarding the nuances of the game, but moreso where my eyes are drawn to and unfortunately, the large man sitting in the chair with the colorful shirt splits the uprights on this one and kills the shot for me. Often times when the subject of the frame is off-center, it really needs to draw you in right away with no distractions and this falls short in that regard.

With catcher shot, I see what you are saying Carl. I think the potential is there. I like the shooting down aspect of it and yeah, it could be cropped better, but overall, look for opportunities like this throughout the game to find isolated players with interesting expressions.

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:46 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password