New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D800 top LCD cracked

dbl00buk2

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 top LCD cracked

Just wondered if anyone here experienced this issue with their D800;
Somehow, someway (I won't elaborate how) the camera strap lug attachment hook
Made contact with the top edge of the LCD cover and cracked it. I forgot to mention
That there is no strap attached to that lug hook. Looking close enough, if you move
That hook towards the LCD cover and push it down with some (not really extreme)
Pressure, it will make contact (taking consideration of the little plastic guard attached to
The hook). Since I don't have my D700 anymore, and never had this problem before,
Anyone experience this? Nikon repair said that it would need to be shipped to them
For cover replacement.

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:36 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 top LCD cracked

If it's like some other Nikons, you should be able to just pry that glass off and stick on a new one. Not sure what places sell it, but you might be able to get one directly from Nikon.

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:45 PM
dbl00buk2

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 top LCD cracked

Thanks for the input but when I called Nikon parts support they said no dice.
The camera needs to be repaired by them.

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:53 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 top LCD cracked

Can you still read the LCD? If it were mine, and I could still use the display, I would just leave it. Probably not worth the cost. Different matter entirely if the screen is shot.

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:16 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 top LCD cracked

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
If it's like some other Nikons, you should be able to just pry that glass off and stick on a new one. Not sure what places sell it, but you might be able to get one directly from Nikon.

Nikon doesn't sell parts anymore. They force you to send the camera in to get fixed.

Jul 05, 2013 at 10:48 PM
code137

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 top LCD cracked

BenV wrote:
Nikon doesn't sell parts anymore. They force you to send the camera in to get fixed.

This is one dumb move and one major reason I've avoided jumping completely into the Nikon system. I love my D800, but I refuse to invest too much more into the system because of some of their current service and repair issues. Also Canon CPS was a breeze compared to what they are asking of me for the NPS application.

Jul 05, 2013 at 11:08 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 top LCD cracked

Did you receive a quote?

EBH

Jul 05, 2013 at 11:18 PM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 top LCD cracked

Is your LCD module damaged or just the protective lens damaged.
If it is the later then you can try replacing it with a GGS III protector instead (if it is true that it can be ply out).
Just my thought on cost cutting to prevent US Service Center classification of " Impact Damage"

Reply from my smartphone while on the move

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:44 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 top LCD cracked

You said "top LCD"; doesn't that mean the one on the top surface of the camera, not the viewing screen on the back of the camera?
If you have copious free time, please post/link a photo of the cracked LCD and this "strap lug attachment hook" that did the damage. thx...

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:13 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 top LCD cracked

They probably will replace the mount as well as that is their main repair goal: impact damage.

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:17 AM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 top LCD cracked

I take it that the OP meant the display on the top plate, because he said that the damage was done without any strap attached.
The GGS III protector comes in 2 pcs, one for the top and one for the back. The top is exactly the same size and uses self adhesive while the back is snap on. The only thing that I am not sure is the thickness.

Reply from my smartphone while on the move

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:14 PM
dbl00buk2

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 top LCD cracked

I take it that the OP meant the display on the top plate, because he said that the damage was done without any strap attached.
The GGS III protector comes in 2 pcs, one for the top and one for the back. The top is exactly the same size and uses self adhesive while the back is snap on. The only thing that I am not sure is the thickness

Thanks Guys for the input. Indeed it is the top LCD glass not the module (thank God).
At this point I may see if KEH can repair it vs. the Melville shop, better than me trying to jury-rig a piece of GGS protector glass. I'll be heading for CA in a few weeks and I really want to take the D800 along.Rather than risking a shipping/repair delay, which would screw-up my chances of taking it on the trip, I'll just put a piece of clear strong packaging tape accross it until I get back.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:30 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 top LCD cracked

It's the opening and removing of the top body metal cover that's tricky and critical. I've opened D1/D1x body many times before but won't try it on my D3X for now. Have that D800 sent to a repair shop rather than a diy solution. Cheers.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Jul 06, 2013 at 08:13 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 top LCD cracked

Hmmm...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Nikon-D800-Top-Small-Outer-LCD-Screen-Display-Window-Glass-Cover-TAPE-/370826426302?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item5656fa37be

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:05 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 top LCD cracked

BenV wrote:

Those things below sure look like parts to me.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonprt/en_US/list/ThemeID.30573000/parentCategoryID.59997300/categoryID.60762600

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:19 AM
code137

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800 top LCD cracked

Thank you for the link. I had read elsewhere that a busted battery door would require sending the entire camera to Nikon. I'm glad at least that part doesn't seem to be true.

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800 top LCD cracked

But that is only a very few parts compared to the past, when the local camera repair shop could order all sorts of parts for you.

EBH

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:43 AM
code137

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800 top LCD cracked

True, it just really bothered me a bit more excessively with the battery door. I had seen it mentioned on lensrentals article
Mostly a battery door that seems to break off if you look at it hard. I suspect either weak plastic or too thin of a pin on the door design are the likely culprits. That wouldn’t have been a big deal if you could buy replacement doors, but with Nikon’s new policy you have to send the camera in for factory service.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/lensrentals-repair-data-january-july-2012

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:59 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.