Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Personal Shot List?

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Personal Shot List?

have you ever made yourself a personal shot list? We just made one for ourselves because I have had a few weddings where we have forgotten to do pretty standard things...like a solo bride or groom portrait or a shot of the bouquet or something like that. It feels in a way like I should not need one after this many weddings, but at the same time...I am pretty ADD and the wife is preggo...I just feel sometimes like I need a cheat-sheet so I can be sure to get some one the standards that would be important to the bride and her family.

Is that overly lame of me?

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:15 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Personal Shot List?

I don't think it is lame, there are certain things that people want and it makes sense to nail every one of them. As pros we're expected to know that stuff. I kept forgetting a detail shot of the groom's flower and had to drill it into my head (may not matter to us, but it matters to the vendors and to publishers so why not get it?). Sometimes I think this industry thrives on being cavalier and not having lists or anything like that which is sort of silly - the best businesses produce repeatable results which is where a list really comes in handy.

- trr

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:26 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Personal Shot List?

If anything I think a checklist is more of a signature of professionalism than believing you can go without one.

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:32 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Personal Shot List?

Haha. Joel, that is awesome! I'm so glad someone else is ADD like me I have forgotten the solo bride, the bouquet when it was delivered late, etc, etc. Its frustrating as hell and I have begun to bring a 'reminder list' . Actually whats really funny is, the 1st time I realized I needed the list, I FORGOT IT!!

man o man.

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Personal Shot List?

I have a list I keep on my cell phone (in a notepad app) to review when needed - typically the morning of and sometimes during the day. Easy to edit the list as needed.

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:58 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Personal Shot List?

I've moved my list from the back of my hamerhead Metz flash (used to have it taped to the grip) in the nineties, to a list on my smartphone (currently using a modified list on the splash shopper app). I don't need it often. But it's fantastic when I do.

Gordon

Jul 05, 2013 at 04:46 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Personal Shot List?

We keep a printed list handy, too, although moving it to a mobile device is a great idea. I think we've all forgotten shots here and there so reminders are always good.

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:16 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Personal Shot List?

TRReichman wrote:
I kept forgetting a detail shot of the groom's flower and had to drill it into my head.

Do clients value that shot?

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:54 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Personal Shot List?

D. Diggler wrote:

I find that people like to have photos of things they paid for. It is also a shot that takes almost no time to take (usually I take it while they are paying attention to something else or between formal setups. No excuse to not get it.

- trr

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:02 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Personal Shot List?

TRReichman wrote:
I find that people like to have photos of things they paid for. It is also a shot that takes almost no time to take (usually I take it while they are paying attention to something else or between formal setups. No excuse to not get it.

- trr

Haha yup that's exactly when I get it, during formals when waiting for the next group. They don't even know I took it. Granted, by then my second shooter probably already got it during getting-ready, but just in case.

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:31 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Personal Shot List?

D. Diggler wrote:

If vendors who refer people to you who subsequently book you value it, then it doesn't matter if the client values it. If it helps you get more bookings, even in a small way, it matters.

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:31 PM
kenwood
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Personal Shot List?

a shot list, is like a q card during a presentation

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:32 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Personal Shot List?

I'm not a pro but have shot several weddings. I ALWAYS have a list of the "must get" shots. The list is on 3 x cards, sorted as to timing and sequence of the events of the flow of the weddings. Yes, I know most of them, but it's far safer to have the cards.

The list is sequential, so when one group is done, the card for that group go the bottom of the stack and the next group to take are on the next card.

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:32 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Personal Shot List?

Is there a standard list of shots we are suppose to get?

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:39 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Personal Shot List?

canerino wrote:

In my experience, yes.

- trr

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:04 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Personal Shot List?

TTLKurtis wrote:
If vendors who refer people to you who subsequently book you value it, then it doesn't matter if the client values it. If it helps you get more bookings, even in a small way, it matters.

Exactly - I view the vendors as clients in this case. There is a trend for vendors to hire their own photographers when they work a significant, publishable wedding or one they need in their portfolios because other photographers tend to be difficult to work with, poor in their coverage of details, or unwilling to share images. I don't want that to happen on my weddings, so I take care of influential vendors.

- trr

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:10 PM
kayautho

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Personal Shot List?

canerino wrote:

Try this...
http://www.realsimple.com/weddings/ceremony/must-have-wedding-photos-00000000000226/index.html

Jul 06, 2013 at 08:50 AM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Personal Shot List?

joelconner wrote:
have you ever made yourself a personal shot list? We just made one for ourselves because I have had a few weddings where we have forgotten to do pretty standard things...like a solo bride or groom portrait or a shot of the bouquet or something like that. It feels in a way like I should not need one after this many weddings, but at the same time...I am pretty ADD and the wife is preggo...I just feel sometimes like I need a cheat-sheet so I can be sure to get some one the standards that would be important to the
...Show more

I don't think so! My shot list was also sort of a schedule and kept me on track... Actually, I would have a blank one with me at the e-session... The three of us would go over the times, people's names, and special shots that meant something to them... I always breathed a sigh of relief at the end of the night - when I reviewed my list - and saw that every shot had been checked off... It prevents "I can't believe there is no picture of my Aunt Gertrude! We discussed that specifically!"

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:55 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Personal Shot List?

canerino wrote:

In my experience, yes and no.

Standard list of shots that applies to everyone? No.

Standard list of shots for what you typically shoot? Probably not a bad idea to have one...

Jul 06, 2013 at 11:50 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Personal Shot List?

Yup. It's usually a short checklist of stuff but it is helpful for sure.

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.