Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

kevinsullivan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

I forked over for a monthly subscription. Updater is broken: cannot unzip downloaded files. Premiere fails every time I launch it (after about 30 seconds). I run a stock Windows 7 machine. I spent hours and hours on the phone with a tech at Adobe who seemed to be passing her day engaging me in a wild goose chase for the cause. She never found the problem. Now I get "thank you" notes from Adobe web support for allowing them to help me. Incredibly frustrating. I'm thus recommending that photogs say "no thanks" to Adobe Creative Cloud until Adobe produces a version that works. If they're going to use customers to debug their software, they should at least do it in beta period and not with paying customers.

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Dave Good
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

Kevin, I am not surprised by your experience. I had already decided to not upgrade from my current CS5/LR4. The cloud "solution" just doesn't make any sense for my situation, semi-retired photographer living in a rural area with a slow internet connection.

I was considering upgrading to the newer versions but have now allocated those funds elsewhere. I'm not fooling myself that Adobe will miss me in the slightest. If the need arises in the future I will just explore other options and adapt.

Jul 05, 2013 at 07:09 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

Follow-up. I finally got passed to a senior support engineer. He logged into my system and after about an hour of playing around, looking at error logs, and hacking on various settings, seems to have diagnosed and fixed the problem. It looks to me like Adobe Premiere presented an option for hardware accelerated rendering when the integrated Intel 4000 graphics functions on my motherboard (including 1GB VRAM) didn't actually support that functionality, causing the application reliably to crash. I just wish they'd figure these things out during beta testing, and not foist bugs on their paying customers. To their credit, they did eventually get somebody to work with me who knew what he was doing. His manager then called me on the phone to see if I was satisfied. I asked, "with you senior tech or with the overall experience?" He said, both. I said the senior tech was good. The overall experience was pretty bad. He seemed to understand. So my overall evaluation of Adobe: They're at least trying, and they do have educated humans to talk with.

Jul 05, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

Sometimes one bad experience with just one employee at a company can create a strong negative reaction the the entire company. In your case, one good employee could not reverse the overall negative experience of that company. Glad your running again...

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:08 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

Dave Good wrote:
Kevin, I am not surprised by your experience. I had already decided to not upgrade from my current CS5/LR4. The cloud "solution" just doesn't make any sense for my situation, semi-retired photographer living in a rural area with a slow internet connection.

I was considering upgrading to the newer versions but have now allocated those funds elsewhere. I'm not fooling myself that Adobe will miss me in the slightest. If the need arises in the future I will just explore other options and adapt.

While I by no means want to change your mind on the CC. The core functionality of CC dose not need a fast connection to the internet a 56k modem would suffice for the software to talk to the servers and stay activated.

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:10 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

Jeffrey wrote:
Sometimes one bad experience with just one employee at a company can create a strong negative reaction the the entire company. In your case, one good employee could not reverse the overall negative experience of that company. Glad your running again...

Agree

I won't upgrade to the Cloud - period. If the software doesn't reside on my puter and it isn't licensed outright to me, then I don't want or need it.

That being said, I have never had a bad experience with Adobe customer service.

Now, MS is a different story.........

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

"I won't upgrade to the Cloud - period. If the software doesn't reside on my puter and it isn't licensed outright to me, then I don't want or need it."

Well, the software DOES reside on your computer and it IS licensed to you, so in that respect, nothing has changed. The only thing different is that you now have no choice in that you have to download it and there is no box or disc, and that you have to pay a perpetual monthly licensing fee. Oh, and that pesky licensing agreement that has taken a big wrong turn somewhere along the way.

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

Peter Figen wrote:
Oh, and that pesky licensing agreement that has taken a big wrong turn somewhere along the way.

That alone should stop people dead in their tracks until Adobe cleans up the licensing language.

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:08 AM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

I wonder how well they are doing? There was a lot of negative feelings at the on set.
I will not be going CC!

Jul 06, 2013 at 09:42 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

I hate the CC model too and won't be going there. However, Adobe doesn't seem to be regretting their decision.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-11-14/2014-outlook-software-makers-subscription-drive

This leads me to a broader topic. I've been saying for 10 years that the tech industry is out of ideas. I think my assertion is still correct, but I was too early. We are seeing stagnation everywhere nowadays: smart phones, TVs, game consoles, computers, and cameras. The new products aren't significantly better than the older products and consumers have very little motivation to upgrade. I'm sure Adobe and Microsoft both moved to a subscription model because it was difficult to convince users to upgrade and they wanted a steady income stream. Meanwhile, I recently read that camera sales are down something like 14% this year. One industry spectator suggested that Nikon could be out of business in 5 years. The hardware companies would jump on a subscription model if they could figure out how to do it.

One could argue that most of the creative industries are in trouble too. We are running out of new ideas in entertainment, advertising and photography. Everything on 500px looks the same.

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

kevinsullivan wrote:
If they're going to use customers to debug their software, they should at least do it in beta period and not with paying customers.

Let's see ...

Adobe can pay high dollars to staff more software engineers working with potential future upgrade customers in Beta.

vs.

Have real customers pay to Adobe the privilege to help flush out the bugs through corrections with fewer knowledgeable software engineers, while dumping their changes at will onto your system automatically.

I think Adobe has redefined what constitutes "Beta Period" ... expecting everyone to just get with the times @ the Magic Cloud.

BTW ... my bank decided to re-issue my account/card numbers when I informed them that I had conducted online transactions with Adobe.

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:54 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

leftcoastlefty wrote:
I hate the CC model too and won't be going there. However, Adobe doesn't seem to be regretting their decision.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-11-14/2014-outlook-software-makers-subscription-drive

Yup, the typical consumer is a sheep who will sell their own mother without even thinking about it (really, no thinking) for the latest version of whatever tools they use - if it means being up-to-date and as equipped as their competition. To the majority consumer there's little to no political considerations relevant at all. They don't think, they don't wanna think, they just jump through whatever hoops are needed to get the wares they want. People who think for themselves are always the minority and those who demonstrate integrity on those convictions are even fewer yet. So I guess Adobe won't even notice the tiny percentage who declines to swallow the marketing hype.

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

Jeffrey wrote:

I am another individual who had a bad experience with Adobe tech support. I dealt with more than one employee and never had a successful resolution. The best I can say for Adobe is they are monopolistic and greedy. After that everything is downhill.

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:42 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

kevinsullivan wrote:
.....He logged into my system and after about an hour of playing around, looking at error logs, and hacking on various settings, seems to have diagnosed and fixed the problem.

They requested remote access to customers PC? And you actually gave it to them?

No-one gets remote access to my PC, and any software vendor asking would get a pretty blunt answer from me. The security implications are really very serious.

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

Peter Figen wrote:
"I won't upgrade to the Cloud - period. If the software doesn't reside on my puter and it isn't licensed outright to me, then I don't want or need it."

Well, the software DOES reside on your computer and it IS licensed to you, so in that respect, nothing has changed. The only thing different is that you now have no choice in that you have to download it and there is no box or disc, and that you have to pay a perpetual monthly licensing fee. Oh, and that pesky licensing agreement that has taken a big wrong turn
...Show more

yeah but it is not licensed to him OUTRIGHT only as a rental

Nov 17, 2013 at 08:55 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

RustyBug wrote:
BTW ... my bank decided to re-issue my account/card numbers when I informed them that I had conducted online transactions with Adobe.

Same here. My bank just instituted and emergency cancellation with only a week grace since they said they have no realized the break in was far more serious than every let on.

Nov 17, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

No-one gets remote access to my PC, and any software vendor asking would get a pretty blunt answer from me. The security implications are really very serious.

How is this true in the case of a tech fixing a software problem? The short term allowed intrusion does not compromise your long-term security.

More FUD spread by the uneducated.

The crap we have read (few of which have actually been proven) about Adobe's cloud efforts have been hilarious for those of us in the tech industry but if you think Adobe is your biggest security problem when you turn on your computer, you are really self deluded.

Nov 18, 2013 at 03:30 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

15Bit wrote:
They requested remote access to customers PC? And you actually gave it to them?

What's the alternative, when other troubleshooting methods (eg phone support) had failed?
- do you take your whole computer to an Adobe agent?

You've already shown you trust Adobe by installing their software on your machine.

Tech support via remote access is time-efficient and effective.
Can you suggest a better alternative?

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:09 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

Sarsfield wrote:
How is this true in the case of a tech fixing a software problem? The short term allowed intrusion does not compromise your long-term security.

More FUD spread by the uneducated.

I might not be an IT professional, but i have quite a lot of tech expertise and experience, including 2 years undergrad compsci and several years sysadmin experience on small computing clusters. You are both rude and incorrect to assume i don't know what i am talking about.

The crap we have read (few of which have actually been proven) about Adobe's cloud efforts have been hilarious for those of us in the tech industry but if you think Adobe is your biggest security problem when you turn on your computer, you are really self deluded.

Quite - Adobe are not our biggest problem for sure, but they are also not exactly the poster boys for internet security and competence.

The issue here is that any intrusion to your computer is a major security issue. You think the military or security services will give Adobe remote admin access to fix their computers? Course they won't. Just because there is no obvious threat it doesn't mean it isn't a potential problem. Consider how many employees of large companies have been found to be dishonest - selling customer details, leaking secrets, even deliberately sabotaging their employer for nothing more than malice. You give someone remote admin access to your computer and your password details are immediately at risk (especially those you tell your web browser to remember for you), along with personal information saved in files, and even things like your bitcoin wallet if you have one.

There is also the more basic issue of competence - how skilled do you think most of these remote access technicians really are? They certainly aren't going to be very high up the ladder if they are working tech support. Do you trust them not to screw up your computer even more?

So no, no-one gets remote access to my PC - Maybe i am paranoid, but i'm afraid i don't trust people enough.

Nov 18, 2013 at 08:41 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I cannot recommend Adobe Creative Cloud at this time

Dave Good wrote:

Ditto - CC is a money grab with few benefits, IMO. Jim

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password