Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon G12 & external flash

grog13
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon G12 & external flash

Hi.
I have a Nikon SB-28 that I've used manually via Cactus triggers on several SLRs, both Canon and Nikon. But it won't work on my G12. Triggers won't fire and the flash won't fire if it's put in the hotshoe. When I plug the flash into the shoe, the Flash Control menu does gray out, so it does seem it's being recognized, but then nothing happens. Am I missing something, or is there something wrong with my hotshoe?
Thanks for any help,
Greg

Jul 05, 2013 at 01:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon G12 & external flash

there is a mechanical switch in the shoe assy on the left side under the leaf spring that engages when a flash is installed. possibly other then turning the internal camera flash off it causes a "handshake" between the camera and it is not recognized as a canon flash and simply says no go.

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:30 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon G12 & external flash

Don't think that's the problem. That switch simply turns off the built-in flash - any object stuck into the shoe closes that switch. Any info about the flash goes through some of the other contacts. I guess it's possible the firmware tells the flash not to fire if the flash is not a Canon, but that would be kind of dumb, and it's not the way my Canons (slrs) have worked.

Jul 07, 2013 at 07:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon G12 & external flash

Is it really dumb on their part?

Jul 07, 2013 at 08:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

grog13
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon G12 & external flash

sjms wrote:
Is it really dumb on their part?

Well, yes, I think it is. If I can't use the flash setup I have with this camera, am I going to run out and buy a Canon flash? No - that would cost more than the camera. I'll get a different camera.
However, I did get a definite answer from someone on the POTN forum who has a G12 & SB-28. Works for him, so obviously my camera has a bad hotshoe.

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:59 AM
grog13
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon G12 & external flash

Don't guess anybody's following this anymore, but just in case someone with the same problem finds it later, my problem was the drive mode - the hotshoe is disabled in continuous mode for some reason. I suppose the idea is that the flash couldn't keep up, but the built-in flash still works. Anyway, put it in single shot and the hotshoe is once again hot.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:18 PM
jrscls
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon G12 & external flash

Glad you got it sorted. I use the 270EX II on my G15 but always in single shot mode.

Jul 20, 2013 at 03:09 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password