Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

shane8168
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

Any thoughts on either of these two software offerings? I don't think I up to paying for PS6 at this point, even with a teacher discount, this thing costs as much as the next lens I want!

I'm looking for a good editing program that will allow me to grow as a photographer from the newborn state (where I'm at now) to the "pretty darned good" state.

Thanks for any input!

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:45 AM
shane8168
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

Or other programs, these are just two I was looking at...

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:46 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

was going thru the same thing a few days ago .

download the trial for each and see what you like best. From what I can see Elements 11 has 95% of what most PHOTOGRAPHERS want from their software .

for me elemants 11 is what I would choose (but pixelmator is cheap enough to have as well) .

But then I mostly use Lightroom so hardly ever send stuff to PS

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:53 AM
TheProducer

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

Difficult to answer without knowing what you use currently. I'm assuming you've already got Lightroom, Aperture, or similar?

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:48 PM
shane8168
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

Guys I have nothing and have ZERO knowledge about photo manipulations!

I use Canon Digital Professional to bring my RAW images in off my camera and can only barely use those tools to work with my images.

I need some help!

Thanks!

Jul 07, 2013 at 09:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

aubsxc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

As a start, I would suggest buying Lightroom 5 (you should be able to get an educational version for less than $100), and learn how to use it by watching the tutorials available on adobe tv or the B&H channel on Youtube.

http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/

The video tutorials are a good place to start, but to get proficient with the software you will need to use it for a while.

Lightroom will allow you to do many kinds of image manipulation without needing a pixel editor like Photoshop. Once you are comfortable with everything LR has to offer and understand its limitations, I would suggest buying PS Elements and learning how to use it. PS elements should be sufficient for most of your pixel editing needs, especially if you enhance it with plugins like the NIK Software Suite (you can buy NIK for a little over $100 if you look for a coupon).

Jul 07, 2013 at 09:25 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

aubsxc wrote:
As a start, I would suggest buying Lightroom 5 (you should be able to get an educational version for less than $100)

I see this quite often.... you should be able to get the educational version for $xxx...... yet the vast majority of us can't, so why do so many posters (and I'm not picking on you specifically) quote the educational pricing so often?

Or is it only me that can't get it and everyone else can?

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

Dave_EP wrote:
I see this quite often.... you should be able to get the educational version for $xxx...... yet the vast majority of us can't, so why do so many posters (and I'm not picking on you specifically) quote the educational pricing so often?

Or is it only me that can't get it and everyone else can?

The OP said, or very strongly implied that he was eligible for educational pricing.

Its just you

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

Oops... I definitely missed the teacher discount as a conscious thought..... even so... why do so many people get these discounts on forums? Is it only students and teachers that come here? Wow

It doesn't seem to matter what I want to do in life I always seem to be in the minority that can't claim any minority discounts or extra benefits

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photoshop Elements vs Pixelmator...

shane8168 wrote:
Any thoughts on either of these two software offerings? I don't think I up to paying for PS6 at this point, even with a teacher discount, this thing costs as much as the next lens I want!

I am all in with PSE 11. There isn't really a choice here for your needs at the moment. It is PSE 11.
LR 5 is not really aimed at beginning amateur photographers. It is a data based editing software that is strongly aimed at people that shoot thousands of photos. Is that you? It has a lot of editing features and is very capable but certainly not end all.

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:27 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password