Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · #561 Red Barn

Tom Harpstead
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #561 Red Barn

I decided to change to this. It is an IR composite that I had been thinking about doing. This Morning the sky was very nice for IR. The base layer is the unprocessed image (red barn). The middle layer was processed for IR black and white (white foliage). The top layer was IR processed for IR false color (blue sky).

Thanks for viewing.

Red Barn, White Clouds, Blue Sky

Edited on Jul 06, 2013 at 05:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:52 PM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #561 Red Barn

Looks tasty Tom!

Mike

Jul 04, 2013 at 06:34 PM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #561 Red Barn

Mike, It was very tasty

Tom

Jul 06, 2013 at 11:30 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #561 Red Barn

Love this!

Jul 07, 2013 at 01:47 PM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #561 Red Barn

The new one looks pretty good too Tom.

Mike

Jul 07, 2013 at 01:50 PM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #561 Red Barn

Paul and Mike,

Thanks

Jul 07, 2013 at 05:29 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #561 Red Barn

Outstanding!

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #561 Red Barn

Thank you Rich.

I have been asked what was the processing I did. I am happy to share it here too.

I used lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS5.
I have an 590nm filter (super color IR or Goldie IR) converted camera. This filter allows the sky to be processed to be blue. I set a custom white balance to the scene on the camera. I also have a camera specific color profile for LR to use.

From LR edit the photo in PS. For the first layer I used the auto white balance and the adobe color profile. This gives a photo that has lots of red and very little color latitude.

(LR only was used to apply the WB and color profile, I non destructively edit in PS to achieve the desired images, and at the end flatten to copy as a layer for the final editing)

Back to LR apply as shot white balance, and the camera color profile. (there is lots of tutorials on this at lifepixel and youtube). Again from LR edit in PS, I then did the standard IR color enhanced processing to get the "bright" foliage and blue sky. (this will be the top layer in PS). Flatten and copy to the first photo.

Undo the flatten and I then converted that to black and white for the middle layer. Again I flattened and copied to the first photo.

Now the first photo in PS should have three layers. The base layer is the red layer, I had my next layer the BW photo, and on the top was the false color photo. You may have to rearrange the layers to get the desired effect that you want.

Then all I did was to erase the parts of BW layer above the red layer that I did not want, ie the red parts of the barn. And same for the top layer I erased the parts of the false color layer of the barn, and foliage that I did not want.

I hope this makes some sense for you. Please add any additional clarification as I know I left out many steps that seem obvious to me that I forgotten that I have done them.

Tom

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:18 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.