FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Why shouldn't I....

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why shouldn't I....

I mean, what's stopping me from...

Sergio's got a great style. I may not agree with it all entirely, but it's distinct and looks professional and refined in its own way. Last I remember, his gear set is very simple.

Why do I have so much gear I lug around to each big wedding? 16-35, 24, 35, 50, 85, 70-200 (stays at home sometimes), 3 cameras, ~6-7 flashes...

Couldn't I still do a good job with...less stuff?

Bright daylight is going to be hell today. 113 for the high. Bright days like this make me want one of those uberflashes someone told me about recently (4x the power of a 580EX)...and an assistant to carry my stuff around.

I'm not complaining, I'm just thinking about things. I am getting tired of a complicated gear list and am trying to figure out how I can bring less without sacrificing anything. I need 16-35 for dresses, 24 for getting ready room, 35 and 85 for everything else...50 is the most disposable for me, and sometimes I go without it. 70-200 only comes for some ceremonies. The biggest bulk otherwise is the flashes, which I often need 3-4 off-camera for big reception areas and 2 on-camera.

Sigh. Off to my 12-hour july 4 shoot.

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:07 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why shouldn't I....

I wish I had a shoot

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:16 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why shouldn't I....

form wrote:
I need 16-35 for dresses, 24 for getting ready room, 35 and 85 for everything else...

Sounds like you really just need 16-35 + 85 - why bother with the rest?

- trr

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:36 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why shouldn't I....

form wrote:
I mean, what's stopping me from...

Couldn't I still do a good job with...less stuff?

going to be hell today. 113 for the high.

Off to my 12-hour shoot.

Your problem is you like to light stuff a lot. Nothing wrong with it. Just the way you do things. I'd seriously recommend switching to a Lumedyne or Quantum system. Portable moderate sized battery powered strobes. You'd get more power out of one than you would three speedlights.

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:18 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why shouldn't I....

Minimalism for the win. I can't remember the last wedding when I used anything besides a 35mm. My wife pretty much just uses a 50mm and swaps it out for an 85mm now and then. When shooting solo, I just use the 35 and keep the 85 in a baggy. Haven't needed it yet.

Bottom line, weddings are as complicated as you make them. Make 'em simple bro.

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:27 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why shouldn't I....

Work whatever way feels good to you man. I know great photographers who carry very little and guys who carry everything. I dont know you, Joey, but my guess is that a lot of gear would bring you security for the day.

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:33 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why shouldn't I....

TRReichman wrote:

- trr

+1 - I've often used this. Gone even simpler and just used 35 + 85 pretty much all day now.

But then, I wouldn't pay any attention to what I or anyone else uses.

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why shouldn't I....

You should get really good at a few things before adding more options.

A lot of people use gear to compensate for ability.

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:54 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why shouldn't I....

skasol wrote:
I wish I had a shoot

I'm glad I don't. Too much other work to do for the business to squeeze in a shoot.

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:37 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why shouldn't I....

That's a lot of primes. Just pick 2 (say 35mm and 85mm), along with the 16-35 and 70-200

Actually for me the 70-200 is also optional (depends on venue) - I can do most things with 85mm as my longest

I reckon you could get by with 2 bodies rather than 3

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:47 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why shouldn't I....

TRReichman wrote:

Of course, you won't be able to impress the client with those 24 @ 1.4 and 35 @ 1.4 shallow-depth-of-field shots.

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:08 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why shouldn't I....

The minimalist style like Sergio is more than just leaving lenses at home. It's a mindset, a different philosophy. You have to "see" differently. Some folks can do it, others struggle.

Jul 05, 2013 at 08:17 AM
rich park

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why shouldn't I....

dmacmillan wrote:
The minimalist style like Sergio is more than just leaving lenses at home. It's a mindset, a different philosophy. You have to "see" differently. Some folks can do it, others struggle.

+1 on this - just have to use the gear that gives you the confidence to go out and execute to the best of your abilities. for some, that means using less which allows for them to simplify to focus on shooting and for others, more gear brings versatility and safety. whatever makes you comfortable.

Jul 05, 2013 at 08:56 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why shouldn't I....

Yesterday I got along basically with 16-35, 35, 85 and 5 flashes. I brought out 50 for a few occasions but went back to 35/85 for most of the night.

I could have used fewer flashes if I didn't have to light a reception area.

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:01 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why shouldn't I....

For me it matters what i have to carry around and what alters my point of view. So I concentrate on 2 lenses (35/85) and one off camera flash in the hand (slung over my shoulder on a strap).

I don bother how many flashes I have to set up in the venue-corners. Usually 2-4. It is setting up and forget about it.

With the new cameras like 24 MP, I donīt feel the need to have anything longer then 85, you can crop the hell out of it if you need more reach. Who needs more then say 5-9 MP for a church shot? Thatīs a 350 mm lens.

heiko

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:17 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why shouldn't I....

I was thinking about this the other day, and realized that I could shoot just about everything with a 35 1.4 and an 85 1.2 (or 1.8).

I use a 17-35 for stylistic stuff and party shots at receptions, and a 70-200 for reach sometimes. Occasionally a speedlight.

Wedding shooting just seems more simple now, likely due to my style shifting and high-iso capabilities.

Jul 05, 2013 at 04:58 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why shouldn't I....

I think it's a great question to ask yourself, Joey. When does being ready for everything actually start to get in the way of actually getting the shot? A few years back I know it did for me. I'd spent years building a kit. Adding a lens or a flash or a set of triggers to fill a "hole" in my kit like that thing would change everything for the better. In the end gear management became a real issue. I was drowning in it.

So I spent some time working out what I really "needed" versus what I really "wanted". It took nearly a year of thinking and planning, but in the end I actually got to a place where I think I carry the right kit for me, without stuff. Sure there are times when a 500mm would come in handy, but do I really want to lug one around for use once every ten weddings for a single shot. I don't think so.

As it turned out my "need" list is longer than my "want" list. I'd love nothing more than to turn up with my two Leicas a 21mm, 50mm and 135mm. No flashes. But I have to have a couple. I need a macro because my clients want those shots. And an AF zoom works in receptions. I know a guy who shot with an M7 and a 50mm only. I can't do that because my clients expect more. But I still managed to go from 20kg to less than 10.

I also learned to pack for each wedding. I no longer have a fixed kit. I don't bother taking filters if it's raining. I don't take a long zoom to a cocktail reception. I don't take my fastest glass if the ceremony is at 10am on a beach. But I'll pack a 50mm f1.1 if I'm shooting everything around sunset. I've had a 35mm in my bag for nearly 20 years. But recently I've sold them because I know I just don't use them much. Another thing I don't need to fret over.

I've found having less stuff really liberating. My goal is to lose more stuff each year. Eventually I want to be wheree I only carry what goes into my belt pouches plus a camera over each shoulder. But I know it wouldn't work for others. It's a really individual thing.

Gordon

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:19 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why shouldn't I....

dmacmillan wrote:
The minimalist style like Sergio is more than just leaving lenses at home.

What I'm most envious of guys like that is the minimal dollar investment they can have in gear and still book the good jobs.

Well that and how little weight they have to shlep around on their person all day.

And that they don't end up walking around the wedding all day looking like a paratrooper.

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:28 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why shouldn't I....

flash wrote:
I also learned to pack for each wedding. I no longer have a fixed kit.

It's a nice luxury to be able to pick and choose what you need for each job from a large kit at hand.

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:51 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why shouldn't I....

I was thinking/dreaming of, the next time I got a client who says I am beyond their budget I could offer to shoot but only take a 35/1.4.

...and I am not sure that the outcome would be any worse...

heiko

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.