Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · wow, dpreview is so lame

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · wow, dpreview is so lame

I started a posting there about an adobe CC issue where I had uninstalled lightroom 5 and their app manager thought it was still installed and their support couldn't figure out how to get app manager get the status synchronized to allow me to reinstall it.

They deleted the thread. I posted again about the issue and it was deleted. Then I posted that the moderators were deleting threads and postulated that they were deleting threads that their advertisers might not like. So I was banned!

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · wow, dpreview is so lame

jzucker wrote:
I started a posting there about an adobe CC issue where I had uninstalled lightroom 5 and their app manager thought it was still installed and their support couldn't figure out how to get app manager get the status synchronized to allow me to reinstall it.

They deleted the thread. I posted again about the issue and it was deleted. Then I posted that the moderators were deleting threads and postulated that they were deleting threads that their advertisers might not like. So I was banned!

Unless you were personally attacking some individual, then I don't necessarily agree with a post being deleted. However, are you surprised about the last part?

EBH

Jul 04, 2013 at 06:16 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · wow, dpreview is so lame

Just like the FM board, DPReview is a private forum. They can delete what they wish. There's no inherent right to publish on a private forum.

If you want your opinion on the web, the best method is to start you own blog. You'll have the control.

Jul 04, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · wow, dpreview is so lame

DPreview is owned by Amazon...so they are much more freak-outish about their sponsors being criticized.

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:44 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · wow, dpreview is so lame

I recall when I was active quite a few years ago on a photography website called TrekEarth that was created by a young man who lived across San Francisco Bay from where I live. I often said to him in private conversations the same thing I've said to Fred. I hope they make a great deal of money for all the hard work they put into creating and maintaining a website. What was clear for Adam on TrekEarth was that his money would come from selling the website, so increasing eyes and decreasing controversy were his prime goals. Unfortunately, there were a couple of incidents involving criticism of photos of children taken in Southeast Asia by a respected member of the site. He was banned and there was a backlash that led to quite a number of outspoken members being banned, including some of the best photographers posting on the site. I tried to raise the subject on a general forum like this and the thread was removed, much as OP experienced on DP Review. Adam did sell the website and it is even more bland. I still have an account and quite a few photos there but it holds no interest for me any longer, largely because so many of my friends abandoned the site following the controversy.

Dan is correct, these are private websites made available to the public but always at the indulgence of the owner of the site. Fortunately, Fred is an excellent "landlord" and the folks drawn to this site by and large are adults. Apart from the occasional upset over a transaction on the Buy and Sell board, which is surely a different beast from the gear and presentation forums, this is a pretty relaxed and enjoyable corner of cyberspace. I enjoy being here a great deal.

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:59 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · wow, dpreview is so lame

jzucker wrote:
....they were deleting threads that their advertisers might not like. So I was banned!

I like dpreview's camera reviews, but the random member topics are difficult to follow. I wouldn't have joined just for that reason. Maybe, in the long run, they did you a favor by banning you. Less time typing, more time shooting.

Jul 04, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · wow, dpreview is so lame

DPR has more asshats per capita than your normal forum. You lost nothing by being banned except the opportunity to be flamed.

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · wow, dpreview is so lame

I wasted some time there - a few days. It was horrible. Posts were deleted. Lots of newbies idiots and fanbois. They love their NEX6s. You'd have to pretty lonely and simple minded to stay there.

Jul 05, 2013 at 01:29 AM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · wow, dpreview is so lame

MaxBerlin wrote:
...Lots of newbies idiots ....

If the newbies are geniuses, is it ok then

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:23 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · wow, dpreview is so lame

MaxBerlin wrote:
I wasted some time there - a few days. It was horrible. Posts were deleted. Lots of newbies idiots and fanbois. They love their NEX6s. You'd have to pretty lonely and simple minded to stay there.

You can say the same about many sites. The people on most sites think that site is just the greatest and that they are superior in some ways to everyone else.

EBH

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:27 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · wow, dpreview is so lame

I have never even considered registering there for many of the reasons posted in this thread, even when I was a "noob".

Jul 07, 2013 at 01:42 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · wow, dpreview is so lame

The Web Site contains bulletin board services, buy/sell forums, news groups, forums, and other services, features, message or communication facilities on the Web Site (collectively the "Services") designed to enable you to communicate with others. You agree to use those Services only to submit or post messages and material that are proper and, when applicable, related to the particular Service, so long as the content is not illegal, obscene, threatening, defamatory, invasive of privacy, infringing of intellectual property rights or otherwise objectionable material of any kind. Content for the Services that consists of or contains software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation,
...Show more

While it does not sound like your post violates their T&C, they still reserve the right to terminate it for almost any reason. While I haven't seen your posts, assuming that you were civil & matter-of-fact like what you posted here, their action would seem inconsistent with their own ethics.

The authority and credibility of this site has been built on over 7 years of quantitative, consistent and totally transparent testing, with all results available for inspection, and unmoderated feedback through the user forums ensuring all visitors have the right to question our conclusions. Products are supplied for review on the understanding that the manufacturer / distributor has no right to influence the final conclusions or ratings.

No content is ever written in exchange for money, gifts or the promise of advertising. No advertising will be accepted unless it is with the understanding that advertising on the site does not guarantee any
...Show more

Regardless, DP Review has some great content but their forums seem to attract behavior that should have been outgrown somewhere around the 6th grade school yard. Anybody old enough to be using equipment of these sizes and prices should have more maturity than what is often expressed there.

Long live Fred Miranda and his wonderful forums for the variety, maturity, and professionalism expressed.

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · wow, dpreview is so lame

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Regardless, DP Review has some great content but their forums seem to attract behavior that should have been outgrown somewhere around the 6th grade school yard. Anybody old enough to be using equipment of these sizes and prices should have more maturity than what is often expressed there.

Long live Fred Miranda and his wonderful forums for the variety, maturity, and professionalism expressed.

Well said!

Jul 09, 2013 at 07:49 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · wow, dpreview is so lame

Dpreview is owned by Amazon? Never knew that. I've always hated Dpreview, I was on it for a few days and saw nothing but insults and test charts about why CameraBrand A is better than CameraBrand B.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:17 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password