New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · website provider

Alekhine
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · website provider

Hi all,

I'm recently in the process of building a new website in order to separate landscape photography from weddings.

So I've been searching the web for a professional website/portfolio provider for a few weeks.

I've found nothing really interesting despite I am after a minimal and clean design. The only feature that I need is ecommerce to sell my pictures.

Then I came across widerange galleries, which seems to be really good, plus it is used by many known landscape photographers.
But in my opinion they are are way overpriced!! The rates start at 2400 usd up to 6000 plus they require your site to be hosted on their servers and a yearly 240 usd hosting fee in addition.

I really wonder why they are so popular... there must be some other good company that provides good service at a reasonable price?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

My apologies if this is off topic.
Guido

--
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde
http://www.guidotramontano.com

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:06 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · website provider

Guido,
You might consider posting this on the Pro forum. I just setup my website using Zenfolio. I have been real happy with the easy to use templates and the low cost, but I am not expecting to sell any prints. Zen has a business level service for $240/year but it still may not provide the features you need.

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:57 PM
Alekhine
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · website provider

Camperjim wrote:
Guido,
You might consider posting this on the Pro forum. I just setup my website using Zenfolio. I have been real happy with the easy to use templates and the low cost, but I am not expecting to sell any prints. Zen has a business level service for $240/year but it still may not provide the features you need.

Thanks, I've tried Zenfolio and must admit that it's amazing but what I dont like about it is that you cannot have a fixed design/graphic as a permanent frontpage.

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:32 PM
johndawg
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · website provider

I use a company called omnis.com. Been with them for 12 years.
It's 86 a year and I use the free Wordpress install. They make it super easy and there a a lot of templates, for look and feel, you can install. Template installation is simple if you know how to FTP files...

Jul 09, 2013 at 11:20 PM
mbpautz762
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · website provider

I've tried lots of custom / themed websites, and honestly, it depends on if you want e-commerce functionality and whether or not you want to self-fulfill your products. I've tried zenfolio, which is my #1 recommendation for an all-around site if you DON'T self-fulfill your products. I found I can self-fulfill prints at half the cost of what their mpix lab was asking by using adoramapix, so I started looking for more options.

-I use a rawfolio theme on top of a wordpress install for my 'big boy' website, which I couldn't be happier with except for the total lack of e-commerce and client proofing.
-I'm currently on a trial from PhotoDeck, which so far is absolutely brilliant with everything. I would check them out if you want e-commerce.
-Also check out SquareSpace - they are very highly recommended by some of the top photographers in the world, as well as various business owners.

if it weren't so dang time consuming, I'd do a trial of every one of these and pick my favorite. but it takes days and weeks to get one of these perfectly setup

Jul 18, 2013 at 02:42 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.