New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

Jan Brittenson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

Here's a shot with the Zeiss ZF.2 18 on the D800E that lets you know roughly how well it works. It's really not much different from the 21 (which is slightly crisper in the corners) or the 14-24. None of these lenses really leave a whole lot of detail on the table. None of them are perfect either. As you can see it's still pretty good at the side edges, and mostly okay in the corners. (The chair is a little OOF, and the floor more representative.)

This was also handheld at 1/20s, which shows how easy it is to handhold a wide angle like this even on the D800E.

You could probably sharpen these a little more (I only applied a little input sharpening using my standard LR settings for the D800E).

center

edge

corner

Jul 13, 2013 at 05:10 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

14-24/2.8G or if you want something you can put a filter on, the 24/1.4G. Granted, you don't need the speed, but the 24/1.4G is THE sharpest wide-angle lens I've ever used.

If you do the 14-24/2.8, the LEE filters for it is fairly hard to find and fairly hefty also. Strongly suggest a good Gitzo systematic with the BH-55.

Jul 13, 2013 at 06:00 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

Anyone try the 18 ZF.2 and 15 ZF.2 on the D800E?

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:49 AM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

Jan Brittenson wrote:
Here's a shot with the Zeiss ZF.2 18 on the D800E that lets you know roughly how well it works. It's really not much different from the 21 (which is slightly crisper in the corners) or the 14-24. None of these lenses really leave a whole lot of detail on the table. None of them are perfect either. As you can see it's still pretty good at the side edges, and mostly okay in the corners. (The chair is a little OOF, and the floor more representative.)

This was also handheld at 1/20s, which shows how easy it is to
...Show more
Nice. Not bad at all.

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:51 AM
jph1
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

Something else to consider: If you are really just buying a lens for landscape. Check out the lens test sites. Then look at the performance at the aperture and focal length you think you will be using the most for landscape. Most people shoot landscapes at around f/11 for maximum depth of field. At that aperture, the lens performance is not that different as diffraction starts to creep in.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

I shoot landscapes with both a Canon 5D3 + 24 TSE MK II & a Nikon D800e + Zeiss 21 ZF.2. I've also rented a Nikon 14-24 to try on an old 5D2 a while back. I purchased the Zeiss at the same time I purchased the D800e - I wanted the best 20ish mm lens I could find for the D800e that would also easily accept filters (I was set up for 77 and 82 mm filter use, both screw on and Conkin system). I really love the Zeiss but I've gotta say that had the Fotodiox filter system for the 14-24 been available when I bought the D800e, I might have bought the 14-24 instead. Heck, in all honesty, I'm thinking about switching to the 14-24 plus Fotodiox filter set up. The image quality differences between the Zeiss and 14-24 seems minimal and the Nikon has a fun focal range. It'd be tough to give up the Zeiss tho. Superb IQ even in corners and even wide open, it's a joy to use and it's sorta smallish.

Good luck with your decision!

PS: if you go dual system, get yourself a good Nikon/Canon adapter so you can use all that Nikon glass on your Canons if/when necessary.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

JulianDeLaRosa wrote:
Anyone try the 18 ZF.2 and 15 ZF.2 on the D800E?

Julian, go over to the alternate gear forum, lots of folks using those combinations. Start with the 2 zeiss image threads.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

akclimber wrote:
I shoot landscapes with both a Canon 5D3 + 24 TSE MK II & a Nikon D800e + Zeiss 21 ZF.2. I've also rented a Nikon 14-24 to try on an old 5D2 a while back. I purchased the Zeiss at the same time I purchased the D800e - I wanted the best 20ish mm lens I could find for the D800e that would also easily accept filters (I was set up for 77 and 82 mm filter use, both screw on and Conkin system). I really love the Zeiss but I've gotta say that had the Fotodiox filter system
...Show more
I have used the 14-24 on my Canon 1Ds 3 and it is a superb lens. Throw that lens on the D800E and it is spectacular! I own the Zeiss 21 and 25 f2. Love the rendering with Zeiss too!

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Julian, go over to the alternate gear forum, lots of folks using those combinations. Start with the 2 zeiss image threads.

Thanks! I'll head on over there!

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

I posted a few more over in that thread... I use the ZF.2 18 quite a bit since it tends to be the lens I have with me, unlike the 14-24 which I tend to bring only for certain types of subjects where I know I'll be using it a lot.

Jul 16, 2013 at 04:06 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Help picking Nikon Lens for Lanscape with D800

swldstn wrote:
To all,

I'm a serious Canon shooter (5D Mk III, 1D X) with lots of glass but like the Nikon Guy trying to branch out to Canon, I want to branch out to Nikon. I'm not swapping everything out. Want to get the high resolution for landscape. Very happy with my Canon lenses that cover 50 to 300 mm to use with my Canon bodies.

I've given serious thought to getting a D800 (or E version) and a lens great at lanscape to use. Immediately thought of the 14-24mm I've heard so much about but thought I'd ask the experienced Nikon shooters
...Show more

Lots of good suggestions here already. The 18-35G is also worth a look if you do not need larger apertures and can make do with that focal length range. According to DXO it is as sharp as the 14-24. It takes 77mm filters and is light and small. Corners are not perfect but pretty good. Central sharpness is very good. I find it to be a very usable landscape lens and works very well with the 800e.

Another suggestion is of course the Samyang 14mm for the very wide end.

Jul 16, 2013 at 05:11 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.