New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

In a petting zoo section of the Brisbane Zoo- many years ago in Australia.
#1. The girl had done nothing wrong, but the 'roo grabbed her, anyway.
The girl wasn't hurt by the confrontation, although I suspected she might have different thoughts about petting zoos in her future.
#2. The second child had much better luck.

Charlie Shugart 2013

Fun at the Zoo in Australia

Charlie Shugart 2013

Fun at the Zoo in Australia

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:33 PM
AussieTimmeh

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

Kangaroos are dangerous animals and I am left apprehensive in the first photo of the end result. That grabbing can be one step before opening up with the back legs and kicking the person, which can result in death.

I'll be honest; while the photos are nicely taken and interesting to look at, they definitely do not portray 'Fun at the Zoo in Australia' to me. As a dad of a girl roughly that age, I find the first image upsetting and a relief to hear she was ok.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer... the colours and lighting are nice.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

The first shot really captures the moment. I like the composition showing the adult partially cropped. Best part is the expression on her face. She's definitely afraid. In photography you don't have to only capture happy expressions.

The second shot has the feet cut off, so a little less appealing.

Thanks to AussieTimmeh for pointing out the dangers.

Last thought - "Attacked by a Kangaroo" and "Fun at the Zoo" are the two titles you chose for this set. No fun in the first photo, but it seems to fit the second one.

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:29 AM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

I concur with AsssieTimmech's view on the 1st pic - about how fortunately that no one has gotten hurt by the kangaroo in this case. The look of the Kangaroo you have captured is the look when a Kangaroo is about to do a kick (they use their tail to support their bodies so they can lift their back legs to kick). Very lucky nothing has happened to the little girl in this case.

Hope you and family had fun with your visit to Australia and thanks for sharing the photos

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

I had one crawl across my lap in Ballarat the other day because he decided he did not want the food on offer in my right hand but wanted to eat the paper in my left. They can be pushy.

Glad that little girl ended up ok.

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:57 AM
zalmyb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

Scary. The photo itself is great. Wonderful expression and action, and I love that color! Provia?

Jul 04, 2013 at 09:57 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

Like any animal there's always that risk.
I take my kids to the halls gap zoo and they love going to feed the roos and some other animals.

In some areas like the grampians national park they come down and hang around the camping grounds. Tourists love them.

Jul 04, 2013 at 10:01 AM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

Wow, talk about the 'decisive moment'!

Jul 04, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

"Fun at the Zoo" was tongue-in-cheek. An apparently unsuccessful attempt at humor.
It seems obvious to me that any attack by a large animal is anything BUT fun. Frankly, I'm surprised that the comment was taken literally- by anyone. Oh well.
The kangaroo did not lean back on its tail and kick (I know the dangers of that maneuver). And the girl got out of there right after I clicked the shutter.
As I clearly stated, she was NOT hurt.
If she had been hurt, I probably would not have posted the shot. Certainly I would NOT have made any attempt at humor.
Charlie

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:26 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Attacked----by a kangaroo

I like the swirly bokeh in the first image - do you know what lens this was.

Having lived in Brisbane for 8 years we used to go to Lone Pine Koala Park almost on a weekly basis and I never witnessed anything like that. OTOH the emus where rather scary trying to steal food from visitors in a fairly aggressive way until they installed some self-feeding stations there about a couple of years ago.

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:26 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.