Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

billsnature
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

I am considering upgrading the collar on my 80-400 VR AFS G. I generally prefer Really Right Stuff to Kirk, but the RRS collar uses the removable foot that also fits the 70-200mm VR. I think their collar is better but their foot is worse. I am not a big fan of the replaceable foot so I am considering the Kirk.

Anyone have experience with the new Kirk collar and foot? Is the collar anywhere near as good as the RRS?

Or is this all a waste of time and money as the stock collar is OK but not great.

Thanks
Bill

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:50 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

I've had both on different lenses. The build quality seems much better on the RRS collar, but the Kirk has that extra support toward the front of the lens, which can't hurt. RRS seems to rely on brute strength to hold the lens. Probably either is better than stock. So, whichever makes you feel good.

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Genes Home
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

I have the RRS on my 70-200, and the Kirk on my 300 AFS. I bought the first for the flexibility it offerred over the regular tripod foot. I bought the second becuase:
a. the Nikon foot was simply poor and contributed to OOF issues from instability.
b. the Kirk had the additional stability of a second bearing point to the front of
the lens which made it more rigid.

Concerning the 80-400 mounts, I think that perhaps ckcarr is correct in his statement that the RRS is a "brute strength" design, similar to the Nikon design but much more robust, and with the flexibility of a removable foot.....and that the Kirk is more like a cantilever bridge design, depending on multiple bearing points to increase rigidity and reduce vibration.

I liked the results the Kirk design gave me on the 300 AFS, so I purchased the Kirk design from B&H, hopefully arriving this week.

If you do long range shooting, or any shooting at 400mm it seems to me that adding rigidity to the lens support system, and thus cutting down extraneous vibration, has to be a good thing. So I would say it is up to you to determine if the gains you would get at long distance/high magnification would be worth the money you would spend. I have found that in my case, for birds and fast action field work, it is definately worth the expense.

Gene

Jul 04, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

I have yet to decide which to buy but I have a number of questions for those who are familiar with the Nikon tripod collar and the alternatives....

1. Is the problem with the Nikon
(a) just with the small foot ? or
(b) just with the collar ? or
(c) with both ?

2. Does the RRS foot miss the flash unit on a D800E if the collar is rotated with the foot up ?

3. Does the Kirk foot have enough space between it and the lens to let you fit your fingers in there to pick up the lens / camera by the tripod foot ?

4. Does the RRS foot make a comfortable and secure handle ? I am particularly concerned about releasing the locking lever accidentally.

5. Will replacing the Nikon foot with a RRS foot work OK on the Nikon collar ?

Just looking at pictures of the RRS and Kirk feet on their web sites gives me the impression that no thought was given to making their foot useful as a carrying handle. Nikon gave no thought to it either, and do not even have attachments for a shoulder strap on the lens. I guess we are supposed to hang the lens from the camera while we walk around with it

I've already got a RRS long lens support bracket but I think it might be a bit too big because the lens is too light for it with the centre of gravity probably too near the camera for it to be very effective.

- Alan

Jul 04, 2013 at 11:46 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

Ordered RRS replacements for my 300mm, 80-200mm, and 80-400 at the same time I ordered my lenses. Very happy with all and have never looked back.

Agree with CK - RRS products could probably support my X-wife from the top of the Empire State Building. And that would be a feat of extreme brute strength!

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

for Alan321

My experience with the 300mm f/4 was that the Nikon collar/foot simply did not stabilize the lens against extraneous vibration, and I bought the Kirk, as stated above, because it was a two-point system which I thought might help in this regard. It does, significantly. That's why I went ahead and ordered one for the new 80-400. As to whether the vibration issue stems from the foot or the collar design, it doesn't matter on the 80-400 because the parts aren't modular for replacement with either Kirk or RRS.

None of these were designed as handles. On my recent trip to South Africa I pulled the the collars off of both the 70-200 and the 80-400 because they were in the way while shooting with flash in the evening as well as during the day off the window ledge and sandbags. But...Dear Lord!...do not let the lens hang from the camera while walking around. Cradle it in your arms or carry the rig by the lens itself. Anything else is a sure road to a bent mounting plate on the camera and elex contacts that don't make contact (not to mention focusing problems).

On the Kirk mount for the 300 f/4 small fingers can slip between the mount foot and the lens, but it ain't comfortable for use as a carrying handle. I am guessing the 80-400 will be no different.

For the 70-200 f/2.8 all I bought was the RRS foot, as I have found no issues with that particular Nikon tripod collar.....I just needed a foot with an Arca plate and the RRS design with its quick release was what I wanted. I love it, but it is easy to trip so I would NEVER carry the lens by the foot.

Gene

Jul 05, 2013 at 10:57 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

Alan321 wrote:
I have yet to decide which to buy but I have a number of questions for those who are familiar with the Nikon tripod collar and the alternatives....

1. Is the problem with the Nikon
(a) just with the small foot ? or
(b) just with the collar ? or
(c) with both ?

2. Does the RRS foot miss the flash unit on a D800E if the collar is rotated with the foot up ?

3. Does the Kirk foot have enough space between it and the lens to let you fit your fingers in there to pick up
...Show more

1 (b) just the collar - it is somewhat thin but also very flexible/springy, which amplifies any movement or vibration. The foot is not too small - in fact it's probably the only good part of the design.

2) Not quite sure what you mean... the RRS collar and foot clears the front of the pentaprism when you rotate it 180 degrees, but in that position it is high enough to block the light from the built-in flash.

3) No idea - I don't like the Kirk design so I never considered it.

4) No, it's not a comfortable carrying handle, but there's also no chance of accidentally releasing the little lock lever unless you also somehow forget to tighten the knob on the side.

5) Can't be done - the Nikon collar and foot are a single piece, and it wouldn't help even if they were since Nikon's foot is not the problem - the collar is.

If you want a carrying handle for your lens, you could always buy one of these...

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Kirk_Super_Grip_Handle.html

Jul 05, 2013 at 11:15 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

I got the rrs collar and its solid as a rock. Never liked the kirk collars because they are to big and bulky.

Jul 05, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

My thanks to everyone. I have decided to get the Kirk collar and their shoulder strap.

Cheers

-Alan

Jul 05, 2013 at 10:33 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

I just got back from 2 weeks in Africa with the Kirk collar on my 80-400mm. Works great.

I have the new RRS arca clamp with the strap bosses on it, and a Luma Labs Cinch strap attached. I carried the 80-400mm around on safari like that with no issues.

The collar is very low profile, but I can just get my fingers under it to use as a handle without pinching, so I'm pleased with that. I liked the removable foot idea of the RRS clamp but it's a bunch more money, and I've always liked the idea of Kirk's 2-point support system. Well made, pretty light weight, really nothing bad to say here.

Jul 07, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

Hey that's great. No cause to regret placing the order.

I hope you enjoyed the trip to Africa. I intended going there last month but I was too ill for too long and so I cancelled. Maybe next year.

How did the new 80-400 work out? I like mine so far but the AF can be a bit fidgety with static subjects in low light in the af-c mode on my D800E. I've yet to try it on my d3s or give it a really thorough work out. It took ages to get my hands on one.

Cheers
-Alan

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:19 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

The 80-400mm was fantastic. It really reduced lens changes in all of that horrendous dust, and performed great in all circumstances.

"Fidgety" is a good word. I have seen that occasionally. However, I find it's strongly mitigated by my using the AF-ON technique for focusing, since my natural inclination is to release the button when I have a good focus, and not push it again unless I need to re-acquire. I imagine it would be a bigger problem using half-press to focus, since every shot would need re-acquisition... not sure, though, since I haven't used it much in that mode.

It's not always fidgety, either, so... I don't know, it really hasn't been a big problem for me. I've had it since about a week after release, and I've got basically nothing but great praise for it. It's basically a match for the 300mm f/4 I was using, except with a zoom range and VR. Oh, and the nano coating really helps with the purple fringing that the 300mm f/4 exhibits.

The 300mm f/4 is still a great bargain, given its performance, but if you've got the bucks, the 80-400mm sure is working out nicely for me.

Africa was amazing. We climbed Kili and then did a safari. Hope you get to go next year!

Jul 07, 2013 at 12:50 PM
colincarter46
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

No problems at all so far with the stock Nikon foot, it works perfectly

I just put a wimberly p45 plate on the bottom of the foot to make it longer and it's now excellent for using as a handle for carrying.

Its stable enough for taking exposures running Into minutes.

I think the Rrs foot looks clunky and an after thought and the Kirk one looks like it will scratch the lens over time or at least make a rubbing line where the front support meets the lens.

Jul 08, 2013 at 06:17 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

binary visions wrote:

Africa was amazing. We climbed Kili and then did a safari. Hope you get to go next year!

I hope to see some pictures from your trip, especially with your 80-400 as this will be my new safari-lens as well. :-)
Which parks did you visit? Serengetti, Ngoro Ngoro?

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:05 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

I'll be posting up some pictures after a while, kind of trying to pile through them now. We visited Serengeti, Lake Manyara, Olduvai Gorge and the Ngorongoro crater.

Here's a quick yank out of the batch:

http://photos.binaryvisions.com/upload/2013/07/08/20130708082346-eeeb6b47.jpg

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:24 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone tried the Kirk replacement collar on new 80-400 AFS G?

Quite impressive Lilac Breasted Roller!

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:21 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.