Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

SchnellerGT
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

I have shot with the original "brick" many times, so I am familiar with it. I have rented it on at least a half-dozen occasions. (Thanks LensRentals.com!) But this new 24-70 2.8L II is a new monster.

What does it "feel" like to use?

1. Seems to focus as faster or faster than my 135 F2L.
2. Focus just seems more accurate. It just locks on with greater "umph" and precision than any other lens I have used. You can feel it in your finger tips and it's just magic. But it does its magic with great speed.
3. It is a zoomable prime. I am getting better results with it than any 35L I have rented before. Entire zoom range is sharp. Vignetting is a non-issue. CA is not an issue.
4. It's not that heavy at all by comparison to the brick.
5. It finally does to the 5D (II in my case) what the 17-55 F2.8 IS did for my 20D. But it's much better built and is not a dust magnet. It is an amazing walkaround lens on full-frame!

As someone who also owned the Tamron 24-70 VC, the Canon lacks the warmer tones of the Tamron but offers better, faster, more accurate AF as well as better bokeh, far less vignetting, and weighs less.

Is it worth the asking price? Only you can decide that.

Have you been looking for that "17-55 IS" replacement for FF? Is your 24-70 2.8L offering 95% of what you need and you want that edge? If so, Canon has produced an answer for you.

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:35 PM
cineski
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

I have admittedly had a small chip on my shoulder about this lens simply because it should not be at the cost it's at. I rented one for my wedding last weekend and I further admit the lens is outstanding. Even with its incredible optical performance, the lens should list at $1800, not even close to where it is especially with no IS. Also, the lens has a very poor shade design (I got plenty of flare....even though the flare was handled well) and overall feels cheap compared to the mark I (the rental had the rubber on the zoom and focus peeling off!!!). I'm trying really hard to tell myself it's worth it. Wether I get it or not, my 24-70 mark I isn't going anywhere and will be used for backup since it's also an outstanding lens. Anyway, glad you're digging the lens. It is rather great.

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

I assume you're not interested in a Mk II super-telephoto...

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:49 PM
stan23
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

I have both the 24-70 and 70-200 MKII's, they are also my most least used lenses. they are both very sharp and a joy to use, but I prefer the dof on my faster primes.

The 24-70 is outstanding in all focal lengths--insanely sharp wide open. As for cost, I agree with most, I think the lens should be in the 1700 range. It's hard to believe that the 24-70 is the same price as the 70-200 II - seems you get a much more bang for your buck with the longer zoom, but I get it. It's much harder to produce a wide angle zoom, thus the high price point.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

I agree, I just cannot see how the 24-70 II as freaking good as it is, can be anywhere near the price of a 70-200 f/2.8 with IS; it does not compute Will Robinson.

Interestingly, even though these lenses are the similar prices in the shops, my staff prices for these two are wildly different and the 24-70 price is much cheaper as you would normally expect. So this means to me their is huge amount of profit margin in the 24-70. Will it drop in price? I'm not sure it will given the 70-200 is pretty much same price as launch or only a bit lower. Maybe the 24-70 will ease a little but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:28 AM
shroud72

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

I picked up this lens a few weeks ago and shot it quite a bit on my old crop sensor 450d until just recently buying a 6d.
I agree this is a fantastic lens and its as good as my 100L macro in sharpness but at all focal lengths.
I got this lens with €300 cash back from Canon Spain so ended up paying €1699 for it. I figure that this lens should provide 20 years of use so if you divide it out its only about €85 a year to own.

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:40 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I agree, I just cannot see how the 24-70 II as freaking good as it is, can be anywhere near the price of a 70-200 f/2.8 with IS; it does not compute Will Robinson.

Interestingly, even though these lenses are the similar prices in the shops, my staff prices for these two are wildly different and the 24-70 price is much cheaper as you would normally expect. So this means to me their is huge amount of profit margin in the 24-70. Will it drop in price? I'm not sure it will given the 70-200 is pretty much same price
...Show more

I also expect the profit per unit built into the current 24-70 L II price to be huge.
If its build was on the Zeiss lens level, then I could accept its price. But it is not by a long shot.
Within two years even of infrequent use, in many lens copies I anticipate both the zoom ring as well as the MF ring developing rasping or squealing noise when turned. Perhaps becoming slack/loose too.
That hyped up L build is largely a marketing sham, when it comes to their plastic line of EF lenses, although it's been a very profitable sham, I must say.

There's more to a lens than sharpness alone. The old 50 f/1.8 MkI, 50 Macro and 70-200 f/4 non-IS are also very sharp lenses, and we know what their prices have been.

Jul 05, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

SchnellerGT wrote:
1. Seems to focus as faster or faster than my 135 F2L.

It is just ...slow F2.8 ...

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:17 PM
slrl0ver
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

SchnellerGT,

Would be interested to hear any other comments you have on the Tamron 24-70 VC , esp. on the AF side. Did you microfocus adjust the Tamron?

- slrl0ver

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:25 PM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

People seem to think the $1600 - $1700 price point instead of the $2050 is right for this lens. My last 24-70 lasted me more than 10 years. If my II lens is going to last me at least that long, then it's only $30 - $45 more per year that I'm not paying that much more to enjoy the sharpness of this lens in the long run but my sharper photos are going to last me much more than the lens itself.

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

Try living in the UK, it's £1800 over here! That's verging on around $2700.

Jul 05, 2013 at 10:02 PM
eth3rton
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

I am seriously considering pairing this lens with a 5D MKIII but am a little thrown by the pricing. I don't mind paying as long as the build quality is there. This isn't the first time someone has questioned the build on this particular lens. Is there anything - zoom wise - comparable AF & sharpness wise to this lens? I will probably end up buying it but am a little worried...

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:01 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

PetKal wrote:
I also expect the profit per unit built into the current 24-70 L II price to be huge.
If its build was on the Zeiss lens level, then I could accept its price. But it is not by a long shot.
Within two years even of infrequent use, in many lens copies I anticipate both the zoom ring as well as the MF ring developing rasping or squealing noise when turned. Perhaps becoming slack/loose too.
That hyped up L build is largely a marketing sham, when it comes to their plastic line of EF lenses, although it's been a very profitable sham,
...Show more

Not to nitpick but the people getting off on this "zeiss quality" stuff are not in the same market group as the people buying the 24-70 mkII or mkI. Plastic bodies might feel flimsy to you after using the metal bodied bricks that Zeiss lenses tend to be, but they hold up to day to day wear and tear significantly better than the terrible thin anodized outer layer of the Zeiss 50 MP that I have. The hood has a couple scratches through the black anodized outer layer just from being set down on a few rough surfaces (concrete/asphalt). A big silver scratch in a zeiss hood is much more noticeable than a scuff mark on a plastic body or hood. That and these precious zeiss lenses are not built to handle anything more than hobbiest photography - I can't take it to the beach, in the rain, or into windy environments where dust gets kicked up because it isn't sealed well at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 50 MP for its image quality, but the whole "metal = better" argument is a load of crap for heavy shooting. I had my 24-70 mkI for 4 years and used it in some pretty atrocious conditions as a workhorse lens and it showed no signs of degradation other than a slightly looser - preferably so from its overly stiff initial state- zoom ring.

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:23 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

I got the lens today, can't wait to use it at the upcoming 3 weddings I have to shoot between this weekend and the next

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:54 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

OP does it work with your D600 fantasy ?

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:14 AM
shroud72

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

chris78cpr wrote:
Try living in the UK, it's £1800 over here! That's verging on around $2700.

Hdewcameras.co.uk has it much cheaper at £1349.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:20 AM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

If you took two lenses, one metal body and the other plastic and drop at a distance where the plastic body lens would break, how would the metal body fare? I suspect it would dent and be unusable.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:35 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

kezeka wrote:
Not to nitpick but the people getting off on this "zeiss quality" stuff are not in the same market group as the people buying the 24-70 mkII or mkI. Plastic bodies might feel flimsy to you after using the metal bodied bricks that Zeiss lenses tend to be, but they hold up to day to day wear and tear significantly better than the terrible thin anodized outer layer of the Zeiss 50 MP that I have. The hood has a couple scratches through the black anodized outer layer just from being set down on a few rough surfaces (concrete/asphalt). A
...Show more

I have many "Zeiss quality" stuff lenses with Canon mount. I also have a lot of Canons best L lenses. And the "metal quality" argument works in real life if you don't mind a bit heavy weight. Just compare the Zeiss metal focusing ring with the Canon rubber focusing ring after a few years heavy use of the lens. The rubber looks and feels terrible (especially when I have used it in tropical countries) But the Zeiss still looks and feels like new.
Of course you can scratch the Zeiss metal hood when "set down on a few rough surfaces (concrete/asphalt)" but the Canon plastic hood would get an even worse scratch when doing this.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:54 AM
Volks1470
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

Would anyone else miss the deep lens hood of the V1 24-70? I know I will if I ever upgraded. It really shields from rain and provides excellent protections against any bumps.

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:45 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 24-70 2.8L II: Impressive!

Kezeka, most of my for-pay photography is shooting seascapes that I sell in galleries. And the Zeiss 50 MP is my workhorse lens—meaning that I use it mostly at the beach. No problems.

Last November I caught my toe on some uneven pavement and took a hard fall while running toward a concrete seawall, camera and 50 MP held strapless in my hand. Result was as if I had hurled the camera against the side of the seawall as hard as I could—much more violent than dropping it on concrete. I was lucky, with regard to the camera and lens. The first thing to strike was the Zeiss lens hood. It crumpled like a well-made car hood in a collision, and acted as a shock absorber. The lens and camera were undamaged, except for some scuffs on the RRS L-bracket. The lens wasn't even marked. You can't tell it from new.

As for me, I went head-first, through the air, into a bolted-down bench. My recovery took months. If they made one big enough, I would wear one of those Zeiss lens hoods on my head, just to be safe.

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:11 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password