Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · PayPal Scams

markd61
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · PayPal Scams

glort wrote:
Recently I bid on a Diesel engine which seemed a good deal. The seller was from a remote area which can lower the interest in an item. Some things with the buyer wanting urgent payment made me suspect and the thing was on the other side of the country.

I emailed the seller saying I had a brother that lived right in his town so give me his address and a time when it was convenient or let me know if he could come right over with the cash so he got the payment asap. Never heard back and I
...Show more
A friend of mine lost a Nikon D100 a few years ago (when they were actually worth something) by handing the camera over to a "brother" after receiving PP confirmation (legit) of the funds. After the "brother" left with all his gear he soon received another email from PP that the transaction had been nullified for some reason.

Long story short... there are even more ways to be ripped off despite your best efforts..

Aug 08, 2013 at 03:23 PM
CMORRISON
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · PayPal Scams

If you are a seller online, you take the risk no matter what. You can do everything possible and still get scammed out of your money, the buyer is the only one with protection. I own an online site, not photography related, and do a significant amount of business with paypal and credit card transactions and see all the scams. You can send a package to the confirmed address signature required and still get scammed. I will avoid posting the details but it is possible no need for scammers to see it.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:02 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · PayPal Scams

CMORRISON wrote:
If you are a seller online, you take the risk no matter what. You can do everything possible and still get scammed out of your money, the buyer is the only one with protection. I own an online site, not photography related, and do a significant amount of business with paypal and credit card transactions and see all the scams. You can send a package to the confirmed address signature required and still get scammed. I will avoid posting the details but it is possible no need for scammers to see it.

Which is why I only do cash-in-hand and in-person. Granted, it only works for local sales. For any other, I just use FredMiranda and try to find someone with decent feedback to sell to!

Aug 09, 2013 at 03:19 PM
pyrate

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · PayPal Scams

I feel the need to chime in here. You can do everything right when selling an item and accepting PayPal. But it won't stop a scammer 30-45 days later doing a cc chargeback claiming an unauthorized charge. From what I understand PayPal will "fight" the chargeback for you, at a fee, but will NOT give you the name of the cc company so you can fight this on your own. Chances are you will lose, lose your money and the gear. A better option is to accept cc yourself, perhaps through Square or another similar company,

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · PayPal Scams

I recently averted a scam similar to this, but was burned by it once. This kind of scammer has become bolder over the years. In a recent attempt, I tried to get the interested buyer to call me to see if we could set up an in-person meeting, since he claimed to be local. The guy actually called me from a local phone to tell me he's in Palo Alto. I tell him that my wife will be in Palo Alto in two days, and she can deliver the item personally for cash payment. He then said he was in Pittsburgh and was buying the item for his cousin. That was all I needed to hear.

This type of scam using hacked PayPal accounts is incredibly common.

Arka C.

Aug 19, 2013 at 07:58 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · PayPal Scams

Craigslist has been going to hell over the years. I now insist on face to face meetups with cash in hand. I don't put my phone number in the initial ad. Recently, I sent an item to Portland after I got a certified check from Bank America, which I cashed locally. The guy collected Celestron products and we spoke on the telephone and firmed up the deal.

As far as eBay goes, I would never be a seller. Also, in any case, the first person to mention "PayPal" is the scammer in my experience.

Sep 16, 2013 at 06:20 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · PayPal Scams

williamkazak wrote:
Also, in any case, the first person to mention "PayPal" is the scammer in my experience.

That's an awfully broad brush you're painting with. If your experience was representative of reality- and thankfully it isn't- the majority of sellers and buyers on this site, including me, would be scammers.

Sep 16, 2013 at 06:34 PM
glort
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · PayPal Scams

I'd NEVER use Paypal to receive payment for anything. In fact I haven't even got a clue how to do it.

I'm sure lots of honest people use it but I know all the crooks do as well. I'm not going to take the risk on working out who is legit and who isn't.

I have my own CC account but even still if I took a major payment for something I'd insist on a 5 day period before I sent the item or it was collected so I could verify the payment with the bank.
In oz that's more than enough time. You can get an authorization Number from the bank if you ring them and once you have that, they have the risk not you. Your payment is guaranteed.

If that's not suitable to the buyer or they want to get all hurt and upset I don't " trust" them, so be it. You keep your payment and I'll keep my gear.

Other than that it's cash on the knocker.
Take it or leave it. I have never been in enough desperation to need to sell something to care.
If someone doesn't like my payment stipulations, someone else will be along shortly and be fine with them and I'll sell the gear to them.

Sep 17, 2013 at 09:08 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · PayPal Scams

One way to protect yourself better (as a buyer) is to NEVER use PayPal from funds *other* than a credit card.

Transfer all money out of PayPal into your bank account.

Then, choose CC as payment option (preferably AmExp). If the transaction goes awry, contact AmExp (not PayPal).

this has saved me quite a few times.

In fact, once you tell the seller that if they don't make it right you will be contacting the CC company and that they will immediately freeze their money, they will most likely do the right thing.

HTH

greg

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · PayPal Scams

mitesh wrote:
That's an awfully broad brush you're painting with. If your experience was representative of reality- and thankfully it isn't- the majority of sellers and buyers on this site, including me, would be scammers.

In my case, with CL, it has been the case that those who mention PayPal are scammers. I, therefore, ask for a certified check if they are not face to face. Then, I take the check to the local affiliated bank and I ask them if it is a legal check from their bank. If they say yes and cash it for me, and I have all the particulars from the customer, and I have spoken on the phone to them, then I send the lens or whatever.

Dec 06, 2013 at 07:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jefferies1
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · PayPal Scams

This page gives you the info to watch for.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/fraud-tips-sellers-outside

You want address to match, verified accounts etc.

Dec 06, 2013 at 11:17 PM
glort
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · PayPal Scams

The best way to avoid a Preypal scam is not to use it in the first place.
Cash or CC with waiting period only.

Dec 11, 2013 at 09:55 AM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · PayPal Scams

Craigs List - that takes me back.

Four years ago a Beagle appeared at my door and people said "look for the owner by advertising on Craigs List."

What a bunch of low-lifes, some Nigerian actually tried to scam the dog.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · PayPal Scams

For CL sales as the seller, its easy--No paypal, no shipping, local, cash only

My experience with paypal CL scammers is
1. ask no details about item
2. want to control the paypal stuff and offer to pay more than asking price if I would ship it.
3. the paypal email has typos and grammatical errors not common by a corporation.

Bottom line--If its an expensive item, resist the desperation urge to ship it. if you do or get involved with paypal, you are accumulating much more risk.

Jan 04, 2014 at 05:51 AM
tuan2

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · PayPal Scams

This cant save you more than a few times why? I filed a charge back many years back and Paypal sent me a warning stated that the next charge back will put my account on suspension or termination. PP is evil in many way.

With that said i wont do business with people who only take money order/check bc of delay not convenient since I'll have to go buy MO and write the name address.....lot of hoops/cost.

Paypal you cant live with them, and you cant live without them. Just pick your poison.

gheller wrote:
One way to protect yourself better (as a buyer) is to NEVER use PayPal from funds *other* than a credit card.

Transfer all money out of PayPal into your bank account.

Then, choose CC as payment option (preferably AmExp). If the transaction goes awry, contact AmExp (not PayPal).

this has saved me quite a few times.

In fact, once you tell the seller that if they don't make it right you will be contacting the CC company and that they will immediately freeze their money, they will most likely do the right thing.

HTH

greg

Jan 06, 2014 at 07:35 AM
glort
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · PayPal Scams

tuan2 wrote:
Paypal you cant live with them, and you cant live without them. Just pick your poison.

I live without them Just fine.
I make my share of transactions with stuff I sell online and never have a problem.
Recently sold a bunch of stuff including some decent dollar items to a guy interstate. I got his CC over the phone and put it through my terminal. He sent me all the shipping labels to put on the parcel so I had proof it had been sent and I got an authorisation no from the bank.

No probs at all. Guy sent me an email thinking me for the good packaging and the items being better than described.

I think Paypal has suckered people into thinking there is no other way to do business online.
For the majority of the sales I do, it's pickup and pay cash. I don't know why people are so desperate or gullible not to do this especially with high dollar items.

Bit like people who plaster their images all over the net then complain all hard done by when they discover them on some site without their permission.

Jan 17, 2014 at 05:53 PM
NikonManiac

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · PayPal Scams

I hope it isn't too late to ask a related question. I'm going to try to sell my Sigma 400mm on FM. I'm personally PayPal illiterate and do not have an account but my wife uses it frequently for receiving payments for her business.

If I asked a purchaser to send PayPal payment to her e-mail instead of the one I registered to use on FM, would it look too spooky? Or should I just get PayPal account and associate it with my FM e-mail?

The first and only time I used FM was to make a purchase.

Thanks to all.

Tom

Jan 19, 2014 at 01:24 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · PayPal Scams

glort wrote:
I live without them Just fine.
I make my share of transactions with stuff I sell online and never have a problem.
Recently sold a bunch of stuff including some decent dollar items to a guy interstate. I got his CC over the phone and put it through my terminal. He sent me all the shipping labels to put on the parcel so I had proof it had been sent and I got an authorisation no from the bank.

No probs at all. Guy sent me an email thinking me for the good packaging and the items being better than
...Show more

wait, you don't trust paypal but you trust calling up a random person and giving them your CC info?

Jan 19, 2014 at 08:22 PM
youhikeneng

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · PayPal Scams

i've seen many guys use gift and family payment then got scamed ..3% paypal fee is a must in my point of view

Mar 07, 2014 at 07:02 PM
1hawaii50

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · PayPal Scams

As MazeRunner stated, Craigslist terms of service are CASH AND CARRY. Anything anyone buys from me on CL will be payed in cash at the time of pickup...otherwise, no deal!

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password