New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

Flowernut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

I guess that is why they make fords and chevys as well as levers and screws. Each has its has its merits and supporters. Just look and the various plus and minuses and make your own decision of which is best for you.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:27 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

absolutely.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:36 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

I've learned over the years that if anybody knows their Tripod/head/plate/clamp stuff, it is sjms. This guy is a subject matter expert on camera support.

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:53 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

Strobo wrote:
Anyone considering buying an Arca head with the intent of replacing the factory clamp with a third party clamp (like RRS)
please take note: Arca Swiss has recently decided to "permanently" fix their clamps in place, making installing third party clamps difficult if not impossible. I'm not sure what they've done, whether they've used a glue or a permanent type of Locktite.

Apparently Arca was getting a lot of customer-damaged ballheads in for repairs and decided they don't want people changing clamps anymore.

I have a Z1DP (easily the best ball head on the market) that I converted to an RRS lever release, and I don't remember have any real difficulty removing the Arca clamp... but hat was a couple of years ago - maybe they're using stronger Loctite now?

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

of course one thinks they always have the best of the best. we all do no matter how large and diverse that field full of "best" gear is.

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:53 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

ISO1600 wrote:
I've learned over the years that if anybody knows their Tripod/head/plate/clamp stuff, it is sjms. This guy is a subject matter expert on camera support.

where I appreciate the compliment I am far from knowing enough to be referred to as an expert. I learn something knew everyday but then in looking around something's just look new w/o out actually being new.

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:42 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

youyou wrote:
It's not a matter and it's easy to fix.
Their system is equal to the competitors. I own one and i'm very happy with it. The big plus towards the rrs clamp is that you can adjust

+1

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

so far in all the years I have used the system there has yet to be a need to "adjust".

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:59 AM
Cdatar

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

Anybody thinking of 3rd party "L" plates with any lever release clamp should probably stick with the same manufacturer as the clamp. I have 3 Arca Swiss Flip-Lock clamps and just bought 2 Kirk "L" Plates & 2 Kirk foot Plates with mixed sizes. I had to shim the bottom of the 70-200 foot plate slide smoothly when half locked & tight when fully locked without adjusting the clamp in between changes. My 1Ds MK III Kirk "L" plates is fine as is my 4.25" Henjar plate but my 7D Kirk "L" Plate is loose when in portrait but tight when in landscape & portrait side binds half way then becomes loose again. Kirks answer to my email was:"There is some tolerance with the machine. Not much, but when using the lever type it is more noticeable. You can return your order for a complete refund if you are not happy with the fit." I went with the Kirk because they are lighter than the RRS (1DS MK III Kirk "L" Plates is nearly half the weight of the RRS "L" Plate) & looked like a nicer design but their machining tolerances are allover the place. I don't own any RRS gear at the moment, but will be dumping the 7D Kirk "L" Plate on ebay (Don't want to waste more money on postage, Australia to USA) & purchase a RRS 7D "L" Plate & hope it is the same size as the Kirk & Henjar plates that I already have. Point is if you mix manufacturers with lever QR clamps it is pot luck & you could loose the advantage of the lever QR clamp. Sorry for the long one, just don't anybody else getting caught & throwing money down the drain on poorly made plates

Oct 19, 2013 at 06:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

in your reference to the Kirk L plate being half the weight of the RRS one you need to read a little deeper. the stated weight of the RRS plate is the actual shipping weight not the product by itself which is considerably lighter without its packing material at about 6oz.

Oct 19, 2013 at 08:18 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

Strobo wrote:
Anyone considering buying an Arca head with the intent of replacing the factory clamp with a third party clamp (like RRS) please take note: Arca Swiss has recently decided to "permanently" fix their clamps in place, making installing third party clamps difficult if not impossible. I'm not sure what they've done, whether they've used a glue or a permanent type of Locktite.

Apparently Arca was getting a lot of customer-damaged ballheads in for repairs and decided they don't want people changing clamps anymore.

This is absolutely correct, I confirmed it with an Arca-Swiss rep at the PhotoPlus Expo in NYC last Friday. He said the threadlocker they're using goes beyond Loctite red, so it requires some serious heat to loosen. He advised sending the head to Precision Camera Works if you absolutely and positively want the clamp off the ballhead.

Oct 29, 2013 at 09:07 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · ARCA-SWISS z1 locking question

Oh there are considerable more aggressive adhesives the red Loctite.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.