Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Promark acquires Quantum

DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Promark acquires Quantum

I just received an email from Quantum. The company has been acquired by Promark. Promark owns several other brands, including Speedotron and Smith-Victor.

The press release says "new product enhancements and and development of Quantum's line can be expected."

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:37 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Promark acquires Quantum

I hope that we can see a renaissance among these venerable brands.

Jul 04, 2013 at 04:00 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Promark acquires Quantum

The email also says that "the aquisition blends the marketing reach of Promark's diverse line of products with the highly technical, leading edge of Quantum's long established line (of equipment)..."

Is it just that the marketing is bad that a marketing company would aquire Quantum or is just too much for an independent company to afford decent marketing these days? Or might there be some intention to integrate the Photogenic or Speedotron line of products into the Quantum control capability as well?

Often when company's become 'aquired' its because of either an exit plan or some opportunist purchase to create some synergy in a similar product line. Hopefully in this case it is the later and there will be additional professional products resulting, but as far as a renaissance is concerned and Quantum, it's still live and kicking as far as my equipment cases are concerned.

Integrated control of Quantum / Photogenic / Speedotron / Norman systems would be interesting.

Jul 04, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Promark acquires Quantum

My guess would be that they got Quantum at a great price and now they'll try to figure out how to take some of the "strobist" type market share.

Jul 04, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Bewithabob

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Promark acquires Quantum

I like the quantum q flash a lot. I think it will survive.

Jun 04, 2014 at 02:45 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Promark acquires Quantum

The X5d-R is my goto solution for location shooting and I'm grateful that Promark have continued to upgrade the Quantum line, particularly in my case with a firmware update for the X5d-R.. which it has to be mentioned was free of charge on all my six units as well as another four of the T5d-R's.

Not many company's will provide free firmware upgrades, especially when no user upgrade provision has been made and the units need sending in, so good on them for that.

This recent upgrade completes the system as far as I'm concerned. All the models work with all the controllers in all the groups in all the modes.

I don't know whether it will attract "strobist" market. Their purchase decisions are more based on bottom dollar than longevity and function.

Jun 04, 2014 at 10:15 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password