FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

I swear, every time I see an image where I just can't get Caucasian/light skin tones to look quite right, I check the original file size and it's always 5760x3840. Yes, I can tell, every time.

Other people say the 5d3's colors are good. Yet when I see the colors vs my 5d2s, I find the 5d2 color/skin tones to be nicer, more natural, easier to get to a satisfactory color, etc...

How about anyone else?

BTW I don't like videographers who come in packs (ugly blue light with harsh shadows in the wrong places).

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:02 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

For me, the quality of color in well lit situations on the 5D series runs:

5D > 5DIII > 5DII

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:08 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

A. Yes
B. No
C. Who cares?
D. It doesn't matter
E. All of the above

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

If you know what you're doing in post it's completely irrelevant.

Not trying to be snarky. Just stating the cold, hard facts.

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

Will you just stop winging for a single second? Sell it and find a different profession where they have to put up with the winging instead.

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:44 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

Beni wrote:
Will you just stop winging for a single second? Sell it and find a different profession where they have to put up with the winging instead.

okay. for us non english folks. does your "winging" mean this?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whinge

because winging it in american english has a completely different meaning.

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:52 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

We refer to it as "whine".

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

To answer the question in your subject title, yes.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:33 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

Hey Joey, out of curiosity are you trying to use your presets you had made for the 5d2 for the 5d3? I ask because the presets I created for color & b&w for my 5d2 when I try them on my 5d3 I have to do extra tweaking to make them match. I'm not a major pixel peeper so I cant tell . I do know that they are off from each other & I just fix it and keep it moving.

Not a big deal. You gotta keep the perspective that the client doesn't know OR could care less... as long as they look good/like the picture.

Miguel

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:33 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

I have actually tried creating entirely new color presets for the 5d3 as well as using existing 5d2 presets I had created before. Just haven't had much luck.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:40 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

You need to stop worrying about equipment so much, man... jesus.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:52 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

I notice color differences. I notice noise differences. I notice autofocus differences - which are more troublesome than the other two when they mess up on the job.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:58 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

You could get a ColorChecker and build a custom profile for your camera.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:14 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

form wrote:
I notice color differences. I notice noise differences. I notice autofocus differences - which are more troublesome than the other two when they mess up on the job.

Don't worry about it, man. None of these things matter that much in the end.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

Anything tonal can be set and automated in post. That said, SOOC, the original 5D has the best skin tones. IMO

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:25 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

My 2nd shooter mentioned the same thing - how it was harder for him to get the Skin tones he wants using the same presets he had for his 5D2 files.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:29 PM
AlexF
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

personally I prefer the colors from 5dIII to 5dII

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:56 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

The fact is, my skin tone/color problem occurs because I try very hard to naturalize the colors, making it look like the color the people look normally - within reason - in most lighting white balances. Different cameras just do different skin tones and attempting the same kind of realism between multiple cameras is very difficult, maybe almost impossible.

It would be easier if my tones were, say, like Sergio Mottola's, where there is a much more stylistic effect and less of a priority of absolutely realistic color.

It's just like I remember reading/hearing about 3D graphics and the challenge of realism: It's very difficult to generate precisely real textures, colors, etc., but when you create something that has no precedents - aliens, for example - without any precedent for direct comparison, the thing looks as impressively and extremely real as anything else.

Same for photos...perfect realism is very hard to create, but perfect style that is not wholly realistic is much easier to create and maintain because it lacks the same kind of scrutiny of attempting absolute realism.

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:48 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

My last wedding I shot with a photographer who was shooting Nikon while I was using a 5D2 and 5D3. When I first saw her images I was struck by how good her skin tones were. After a certain amount of analysis I realized she used flash on every frame where I was shooting a mix of flash and available light.
When I just switched my 5D3 to the "I"auto mode and put the 580EXII on E-TTL my skin tones were identical to hers.

The real take away from this exercise for me was that despite the putative advantages of manual or Aperture preferred exposure the "idiot" mode actually gave my startlingly good results at a much higher percentage with much less PP.

All little off topic but the point was that you may not like the default color settings of the 5D3 but you can change them AND as tobicus pointed out, the real issue is the content, not the last 50k of white balance.

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:51 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you like 5d3 colors?

form wrote:
It would be easier if my tones were, say, like Sergio Mottola's, where there is a much more stylistic effect and less of a priority of absolutely realistic color.

I bet those guys don't lose any sleep over their colors being "off".

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.