Upload & Sell: Off
| p.8 #16 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299 |
I just received mine EOS-M + 22mm + 2.02 firmware from Amazon as well. I also have a Panasonic GX1 + 20mm f/1.7 for comparison.
Things I like after ~10 minutes of usage:
- Size: The GX1 is ~1 cm wider, otherwise both camera bodies have similar height and thickness. The Canon 22mm and Panasonic 20mm are roughly the same size as well. This is pretty amazing since the Canon has a larger sensor.
- Touch screen: It is quite responsive and the UI is surprisingly good and straightforward to use. After a few minutes I was able to figure out how to do the major things such as change the camera mode, shutter speed, aperture, etc.
- Appearance: It has a plain black, understated look that I like.
Things I dislike:
- Strap mount: It's not a standard eyelet or flat slot, but looks like a proprietary Canon design that requires a strap with a special attachment. This is annoying since I typically use my own black straps.
- Focusing speed: It's consistently slower than my GX1 + 20mm. It's still usable, but at what I consider the bare minimum in focusing speed for usability. I noticed that the Canon 22mm's focusing mechanism moves the entire lens structure (not sure what the technical term is), so hopefully it'll be faster with the 18-55 that I have on order.
Overall I'm actually pretty happy with the camera for $300. It'll be a nice emergency backup body for trips, but feels like a capable camera in its own right. Hopefully future iterations of the camera body significantly improve the focusing speed.
Edit: I just realized that I can detach the Canon strap from its attachment device, so I can use my own straps. Yay