Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       7              10       11       end
  

Archive 2013 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299
  
 
FlyPenFly
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


Anyone know how to get the shot to shot black out time to be much shorter. On my Class 10 and UHS-1 cards, it's annoyingly long.

lens though, is freaking great.

X-post from Alt Gear thread.

Edited on Jul 09, 2013 at 02:23 AM · View previous versions



Jul 09, 2013 at 01:07 AM
UCSB
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


I ordered the EOS M and it should arrive on Friday. I also ordered a 18-55mm EF-M and it arrived today. I ordered it off eBay for $128 and it came in a bubble sleeve in a white box in a shipping envelope. Obviously this was poorly packed for a trip from NY to CA. The box shows shipping damage, but the lens is cosmetically perfect. If I take the caps off of it and gently move it back and forth, something subtly shifts inside the lens. For those that have the 18-55mm, is this normal?


Jul 09, 2013 at 02:11 AM
coppertop
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


Stilltime wrote:
First 10 minutes of using it, I'm impressed. I like the overall size and first few snapshots. Time to charge the battery though...

Did anyone else receive theirs with the latest Firmware 2.02 already installed? Seems odd that the update just came out a few weeks ago and the camera arrived (new) from B&H with updated firmware.

Chris C.


Mine had the latest firmware installed. Was pleasantly surprised.
Oh... ordered from Amazon.



Jul 09, 2013 at 02:32 AM
Nathan Hobbs
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


Anyone know if you can roll back firmware on the EOS M, looking to use Magic Lantern and they do not yet have it for the new firmware. I have a feeling they will soon though with the flood of M's that were purchased recently.


Jul 09, 2013 at 03:31 AM
bboule
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


FlyPenFly wrote:
Anyone know how to get the shot to shot black out time to be much shorter. On my Class 10 and UHS-1 cards, it's annoyingly long.

lens though, is freaking great.

X-post from Alt Gear thread.


- Turn off Long exposure noise reduction
- Turn off high ISO noise reduction
- Turn off image review
- Turn on continuous shooting mode

No chimping obviously but you have a live histogram on this camera.. doing this makes the camera pretty quick.

edit: Note I just got mine yesterday and it had been preloaded with the 2.0.2 firmware.. maybe it's still slow if you do the above with the older firmware.



Jul 09, 2013 at 01:52 PM
alfarmer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #6 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


bboule:

I tried all those things and it didn't make a difference. I have this SD card: "SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1". As far as I know, that's about as fast as it gets right now.

The only thing that made a difference was shooting JPG only (turn off RAW), which clearly indicates a write speed performance issue -- surprising with that SD card. And interestingly, I don't see the same write delay blackout when using the same card on my Rebel SL1 -- ostensibly the same internals.





Jul 09, 2013 at 04:22 PM
bboule
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #7 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


alfarmer:

Agreed I am actually still seeing the delay/blackout on mine too I guess.

If I hold down the shutter, it will fire a # of shots, it appears the camera does have a buffer. For RAW + Large Jpeg it appears to be 3 shots, a slight delay, a 4th shot, and then it locks up while it writes. For RAW only it appears to be more like a 6-shot buffer. If you ever let up the shutter button, it immediately locks up until it finishes writing. Far from ideal, but you can at least fire a burst if you use this carefully. It seems to be somewhere in the range of 3FPS until it slows down. If this was a full fledged DSLR I'd find it really annoying, but for what is essentially a P&S it's not bad IMO.

I don't have a fast card myself...



Jul 09, 2013 at 04:30 PM
johnctharp
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #8 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


alfarmer wrote:
bboule:

I tried all those things and it didn't make a difference. I have this SD card: "SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1". As far as I know, that's about as fast as it gets right now.


Those cards should be fast enough, but SanDisk's Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards are the fastest ones I'm aware of (faster than anything Lexar makes as well). Went on a rabbit hunt to find a card that could keep up with the burst function on my 6D, which is apparently much more demanding than the burst on my 60D was, and wound up with that card. Not cheap, but the 16GB version can be had for ~$50 at Amazon/Newegg, and Best Buy/Fry's will happily price match for you, and will also allow you to return it if it doesn't make any difference.


alfarmer wrote:
The only thing that made a difference was shooting JPG only (turn off RAW), which clearly indicates a write speed performance issue -- surprising with that SD card. And interestingly, I don't see the same write delay blackout when using the same card on my Rebel SL1 -- ostensibly the same internals.


The 'blackout' you mention is something that I see consistently mentioned about the EOS-M; I wonder, if you were to shoot the SL1 in Live View, would it behave the same as on the EOS-M? I know my 6D has a 'blackout' period when shooting Live View, but I haven't really tried to address it since I'm usually using Live View when I'm on a tripod and shooting slowly anyway.



Jul 09, 2013 at 04:35 PM
FlyPenFly
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #9 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


I think the reason for the blackout is that the CPU can't handle having LV and doing a write at the same time, it might just not have enough RAM or computational resources to multitask. I doubt card speed has anything to do with it beyond a baseline.

Hopefully it's a firmware situation with unused resources... It is very annoying and jarring though not the I chimp



Jul 09, 2013 at 04:48 PM
johnctharp
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #10 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


FlyPenFly wrote:
I think the reason for the blackout is that the CPU can't handle having LV and doing a write at the same time, it might just not have enough RAM or computational resources to multitask. I doubt card speed has anything to do with it beyond a baseline.

Hopefully it's a firmware situation with unused resources... It is very annoying and jarring though not the I chimp


No doubt you're right- I mention the cards because it will help to eliminate one variable, it's not too expensive, and is fairly risk-free.

Hopefully Canon's 'round-two' of the EOS-M will reverse their fortunes; there's just so much potential with mirror-less.


--Potential of mirror-less according to me--
Just laying out my thoughts on this, please respond if you disagree!

Essentially, given that autofocus can be spread across the sensor, and that both the autofocus readings and the sensor data are being streamed real-time, a mirror-less camera could feasibly have the most flexible and accurate autofocusing system of any camera on the market. Processing power is the limitation here, but myself along with my fellow computer geeks know that this limitation quickly moves ahead, and especially so when a demand is realized by the market.

Further, given that autofocus is done constantly and that the sensor is constantly looking through the lens, a mirrorless camera has the capability of being the fastest shooting system available- as others have alluded to on this forum, Canon is looking keenly towards video even to what seems to be the detriment of their still camera technology. I back this theory up with the progress that has been made in solid-state drive technology. The latest drives, which skip the SATA protocol altogether and connect directly to the system bus, as in the latest Macbook Air (and coming Macbook Pro, if it isn't here already), can exceed 1GB/s data transfers. And that's just using a modified controller; the bandwidth could be ten times that amount using today's technology, and we know that bar just keeps moving.

So, in summary, I expect that Canon could produce a mirror-less camera that could track literally anything with perfect focus while shooting full resolution at ridiculous frame-rates; I'll throw 60FPS out there as a mark, but I'm betting that they could easily exceed that if they just made use of the full technology on the market today.

The downsides would obviously be the cost associated with developing and manufacturing the processing capability, and the body would need a much larger battery than what goes into the current EOS-M; but if the 1D series is the standard for a 'Pro' camera, how hard can that be?

/end-techno-forecasting-rant



Jul 09, 2013 at 05:08 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



FlyPenFly
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #11 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


Given that when shooting in Continuos mode gives shorter black outs if you're careful on the shutter, my hope is that this can be fixed in firmware.


Jul 09, 2013 at 05:59 PM
ben egbert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #12 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


Just ordered one, but can't find the adaptor at B&H, anyone have a link to this at B&H?


Jul 09, 2013 at 08:53 PM
WiLLGT09
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #13 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


ben egbert wrote:
Just ordered one, but can't find the adaptor at B&H, anyone have a link to this at B&H?


http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883406-REG/Canon_6098b002_EF_M_Lens_Adapter_Kit.html

It's out of stock though.



Jul 09, 2013 at 08:54 PM
ben egbert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #14 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


WiLLGT09 wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883406-REG/Canon_6098b002_EF_M_Lens_Adapter_Kit.html

It's out of stock though.


Thanks, so is the camera, no rush however.I ordered it with the 40mm and will try it out before I buy an adaptor. I have EF to cover 14-200 but not sure what I will use this for. Just a small camera to carry when I don't need the 5d3.,



Jul 09, 2013 at 08:57 PM
matejphoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #15 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


ben egbert wrote:
Thanks, so is the camera, no rush however.I ordered it with the 40mm and will try it out before I buy an adaptor. I have EF to cover 14-200 but not sure what I will use this for. Just a small camera to carry when I don't need the 5d3.,


Haha, I wonder how many people like you and I ordered it. I also have 5Dm2 with an array of lenses plus T3i with kit lenses but for $300 I could not resist. I actually like it a lot and I think I will use it a lot at parties. Might have been a good strategy for canon since now I am also interested in the 11-22.



Jul 09, 2013 at 09:09 PM
nads
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #16 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


matejphoto wrote:
Haha, I wonder how many people like you and I ordered it. I also have 5Dm2 with an array of lenses plus T3i with kit lenses but for $300 I could not resist. I actually like it a lot and I think I will use it a lot at parties. Might have been a good strategy for canon since now I am also interested in the 11-22.


Probably quite a few. I was actively searching to buy a tweener (in between my phone and 7D). We just got back from vacation where I made the mistake of using an older SD780IS as a tweener on a fishing charter with my son. EOS-M wasn't on my list at all. Haven't been able to try one since my local shop has stopped stocking or displaying them due to lack of demand (Not even a small shop, robert's camera).

Impossible to beat this price even with any issues the body actually has. This was probably a great move to tie me to the system and prevent me from going RX100 or used X100, etc. Once I've got the 22mm, I will think seriously about a 2nd gen EF-M body when it comes to pass.



Jul 09, 2013 at 09:48 PM
neech7
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #17 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


fotografur wrote:
Thanks for the link

I see it's on eBay for around $600. That's not too bad. Any takers?


You can do a lot better. How does $400 sound?


http://www.henrys.com/78480-CANON-EF-M-11-22MM-F4-5-6-IS-STM-LENS.aspx

or

http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLenses/269981/canon-efm1122mm-f456-stm.aspx



Jul 09, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Cinstance
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #18 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


I ordered a EOS M with 22mm lens from B&H last Wednesday. I was expecting to see it at my door since the tracking information showed it was delivered on 2:14 PM today. But when I got home I found no package.

B&H uses Fedex saver, which actual gives the package to USPS for final delivery. This happened once to me before, and USPS simply refused to admit they lost my package. In the end I had to eat the loss myself(it was a Ebay purchase, paid with bank account through Paypal). That's why I hate USPS. I am going to call B&H tomorrow to see what they will do about this situation. At least this time I used my credit card!

This is too bad, since I plan to use this camera for vacation this weekend, and I have already sold my other compact camera.



Jul 09, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Sagar
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #19 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


It happened to to me couple of times with both BH and Adorama. If I go by my experience there is a good chance you will get it in a day or two. In FEDEX saver, FEDEX delivers to USPS for last mile delivery and UsPS many times scans it as delivered and then delivers in day or two.

Cinstance wrote:
I ordered a EOS M with 22mm lens from B&H last Wednesday. I was expecting to see it at my door since the tracking information showed it was delivered on 2:14 PM today. But when I got home I found no package.

B&H uses Fedex saver, which actual gives the package to USPS for final delivery. This happened once to me before, and USPS simply refused to admit they lost my package. In the end I had to eat the loss myself(it was a Ebay purchase, paid with bank account through Paypal). That's why I hate USPS. I am going to
...Show more



Jul 09, 2013 at 11:40 PM
fotografur
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #20 · Canon EOS-M with EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for $299


^ What sagar said.


Jul 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1       2       3              5      
6
       7              10       11       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       7              10       11       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password