Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Vern Dewit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

I managed to avoid the floods and spent the July long weekend with the family, camping at the Tunnel Mountain campground in Banff National Park.

On the first day (Friday) we decided to visit the newly opened and renovated Cave & Basin. The Cave & Basin hot springs is the reason Banff was instituted as one of North America's first national parks after its discovery by some railway workers. Normally this area is way too busy to photograph properly but if you time it right you can get the cave area to yourself. I REALLY wished I'd taken my tripod and Zeiss 21mm but I'll go back with those next time (I thought it'd be way too busy for that stuff). Instead I used the rock ledge and my 24-70 for this shot.

I finally managed to use the Zeiss 21 for my next shot which came about after evening thunderstorms moved through on Saturday. At around 10pm I noticed that the light was going to be fantastic so I grabbed my gear, jumped in the truck and raced over to a nearby view point at the Hoodoo hiking trail. I managed to grab some decent shots with a fading rainbow for added effect. Here's one of my favorites from that evening.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:27 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Amazing Vern. That second shot belongs on a wall.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:34 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Both are fine shots. I've never made it to the cave.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Beauty work Vern, awesome sky you caught.

Rob

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Hey Vern,

Nice work on these, you did good. Another approach to cave shots where you can't use a tripod is simply to crank up the ISO. With today's cameras that is now something that is totally viable. I really like #2, what super sweet light!

Jim

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:50 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

JimFox wrote:
Hey Vern,

Nice work on these, you did good. Another approach to cave shots where you can't use a tripod is simply to crank up the ISO. With today's cameras that is now something that is totally viable. I really like #2, what super sweet light!

Jim

Thanks Jim, I do have photos where I cranked the ISO (above 12000!) but I liked the smooth water effects of the 30 second exposure. The reason I wished for a tripod was for a vertical shot with the 21mm which could have shown the hole above the cave that the original explorers used to descend into it.

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:14 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Hi Vern, 2 very different but great views here. I'm more drawn to the cave shot as its a location I haven't seen before and it really jumps off the screen. Great light in the 2nd one,,,,,just my opinion, but I was wondering how it would look a little darker?
cheers Andrew

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

AndrewThomas wrote:
Hi Vern, 2 very different but great views here. I'm more drawn to the cave shot as its a location I haven't seen before and it really jumps off the screen. Great light in the 2nd one,,,,,just my opinion, but I was wondering how it would look a little darker?
cheers Andrew

Thanks Andrew - and I agree with you after review. I darkened the photo - reload your browser and I think you'll agree it's better now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Don Merritt
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Thanks for the inspiration to look for this Hoodoo Trail. I'll hopefully be there in that area on July 10th. Now all I hope for is good weather and no more rain. You folks have had enough of that recently . .

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Don Merritt wrote:
Thanks for the inspiration to look for this Hoodoo Trail. I'll hopefully be there in that area on July 10th. Now all I hope for is good weather and no more rain. You folks have had enough of that recently . .

Thanks Don, this lookout is right along the road going to the Tunnel Mountain I camping site, just outside of the town of Banff. It's really easy to find.

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:30 PM
MCLMM
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Nice shots, Vern!

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:42 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

lovely shots Vern.. #2 would be my favorite

Jul 05, 2013 at 08:57 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Excellent. Love #2.
Harsha

Jul 05, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rundle Sunset and Cave & Basin

Couple of really nice photos there Vern!

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:39 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password