Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

Monday night I sat down and worked on an image from almost two weeks ago. I went out to shoot the Super Moon....and didn't really like much of what I got...but I forgot about the couple that I took before the moon showed up...this was the one I liked the most. The lake is above full pool, so that was nice, otherwise it would have been 60+ feet of dirt in the foreground...crits are more than welcome. Thanks for looking.

TR

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    17mm    f/11.0    60s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:23 PM
lazlo369
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

Very nice, serene.
It is amazing what you can accomplish with long exposure ( and patience)

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:50 PM
mrchile
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

As stated, very serene.
Just wondering if long exposure is from low light level, or did you use a ND filter to help it along?

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

lazlo369 wrote:
Very nice, serene.
It is amazing what you can accomplish with long exposure ( and patience)

Thank you. Yes, LE is time consuming, it really is an exercise in patience, it requires me to really slow down in my workflow.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

mrchile wrote:
As stated, very serene.
Just wondering if long exposure is from low light level, or did you use a ND filter to help it along?

Thanks. For this one, the LE is a result of using a 10 Stop ND. It was bright enough out, that the base exposure at f/11 ISO 50 was around 1/120 IIRC.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:21 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

very nice composition and processing.
regards, tom

Jul 03, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

tomandmarj wrote:
very nice composition and processing.
regards, tom

Thank you Tom.

Jul 03, 2013 at 03:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

Travis,
There is a beautiful smoothness that is no doubt partly because of the long exposure.
Excellent processing also.
A small nit that's probably valid only to me: With this kind of shot, I want to get the full height of the trees on the right. But that necessitates also getting a whole lot of sky (in this case- blank sky). To me, the potential for getting a balanced composition becomes very low. I can't crop those lovely trees, and that leaves too much of the plain sky. Good clouds would help immensely.
All IMO of course .
Charlie

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

Hey Charlie. Can you elaborate...the whole height of the tree part...just curious, does the whole tree not show up for you? The two full trees in frame on the right are not cropped at the top.

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Hey Charlie. Can you elaborate...the whole height of the tree part...just curious, does the whole tree not show up for you? The two full trees in frame on the right are not cropped at the top.

Sure. Sorry I wasn't clearer. I used the pronoun "I" because if I had used the pronoun "you" it might seem as though I were telling you what to do. And I am certainly not doing that .
Yes, I'm seeing the tops of the right-side trees as you intended. And they are so nice- and placed so well in the frame- that whacking off their tops would probably be terrible.
But leaving the tops on forces you to include all that sky on the left.
Catch 22.
Ideally, if the trees were much shorter you could crop out a bunch of the sky on the left- without topping off the trees.
Alas- that isn't the case.
Charlie

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:44 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

Ah, I see what you mean now Charlie...forgive me...I get confused too easily sometimes. Yeah, I agree, it would have been awesome to have some cool clouds passing by...and I am not one for adding them in so, I will just have to work with what nature gives me...taking the good...those trees, with the bad...that boring sky.

I actually kinda thought it worked well balancing out the smoothness in the water.

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:27 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

It works for me, I love these long exposures, good stuff Travis.

Cheers Ray

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pines on Lake Lanier LE

Dougo wrote:
It works for me, I love these long exposures, good stuff Travis.

Cheers Ray

Thanks for taking the time Ray, glad it works for you.

Long Exposures are still new to me, I have only been doing them for right at a year...training the eye to see it over the extended exposure has been a challenge, but it has made me pay more attention to things.

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:08 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password