New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

cebseb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

Happened to have all three gimbals on hand for a few weeks. This is just a quick comparison and more of a reference for anyone else shopping around for a gimbal.

Wimberly Gimbal version II

Direct Link:
http://s29.photobucket.com/user/cebseb/media/20130702_203646.mp4.html

4th generation design M-3.6 with integrated low arm mount.

Direct Link:
http://s29.photobucket.com/user/cebseb/media/20130702_203759.mp4.html

Kirk KC-1 King Cobra

Direct Link:
http://s29.photobucket.com/user/cebseb/media/20130702_203338.mp4.html

Quick Notes:
The M-3.6 was by far the lightest, but also the clunkiest. It was quite cumbersome to lock into place and the clamp mechanism to secure the lens foot required a bit more force to lock a foot in place when compared to an RRS clamp. The tilting action was also the smoothest.

The Kirk KC-1 King Cobra had the smoothest panning action, but requires Kirk feet to center the lens over the panning knob to avoid an imbalance.

The Wimberly Gimbal wasn't the smoothest nor lightest, but it does everything "good enough" for me.

I also used the knock off Optek GH-1 for about 2 weeks. It served it's purpose as a gimbal, but it definitely needed quite a bit of time and greasing to break it in until the motions were acceptably smooth. If strapped for cash, I would have been ok with it.

Any questions? Feel free to ask. Cheers!

-Sebastian

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

I would be lost without a vertical adjustment to achieve perfect balance. My trusty Wimberley original version is going on 9 years old, and just keeps working perfectly. And its vertical adjustment makes it universally adaptable to any lens and body you want to put on it. If you use a smaller body that does not have a lot of weight to it, you can get away without a vertical if you use a side mount style. But for a pro style body, the off center weight it has means that easy vertical adjustment is important.

The platform style bottom mount gimbal you show that has no vertical adjustment available makes no sense to me at all, and seems like the classic of a knock off product where the manufacturer has no clue about using what they designed.

For bigger lenses, a side mount is much harder to mount and dismount the lens. A bottom style mount platform like the full Wimberley's have is faster and easier and safer to use. No way I want to drop either of my super telephoto lenses.

I keep looking for an excuse to upgrade from my Wimberley original version to a lighter weight Wimberley version II. I abuse and over use the original one, but it never complains and never fails to work perfectly. I may just need to make up a fake excuse so I can upgrade.

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Flowernut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

I prefer the wimberly but mainly use the 4th generation head now without the low arm mount. This is mainly for weight now that I travel alot by air. I too do not like the lever clamp nor the side mount but I've learned to live with it. I'd use the screw clamp but the integrated flash arm requires the lever clamp.

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:33 PM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

I really liked the wimberly, but settled on the CB unit. It is just more versitle than anything else I looked at.

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:50 PM
cebseb
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

Flowernut wrote:
I prefer the wimberly but mainly use the 4th generation head now without the low arm mount. This is mainly for weight now that I travel alot by air. I too do not like the lever clamp nor the side mount but I've learned to live with it. I'd use the screw clamp but the integrated flash arm requires the lever clamp.

Do you use the fourth generation one for wildlife? How do you find the locking mechanism? I found it infuriating and needlessly complicated at times.

Jul 09, 2013 at 08:09 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

3iron wrote:
I really liked the wimberly, but settled on the CB unit. It is just more versitle than anything else I looked at.

I've the CB-LS, it's lighter weight, supports the same capacity but it is not as versatile, nor can it be disassembled and easily packed like the standard CB, both gimbals are fantastic,

CB Gimbal-LS
http://www.custombrackets.com/products/gimbal-series/cb-gimbal-ls.html

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:50 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

The big reason I prefer the 4th generation is weight particularly when I fly. I don't like the lever lock when mounting the lens. I just don't feel as secure while I'm locking the lens in as I do with a screw clamp. The locks on the tilt and pan I like as it does not move when I put the tripod over my shoulder with the camera mounted. The other heads I've tried in the past, you really have to lock things down to keep the head from flopping around. Some, no matter what you do, flop around. This is the way I carry the tripod and supertelephoto in the field. I've used it a lot with 400 f2.8 and 500 f4. Not as much with a 600 or 800. This has been for birds mainly and some wildlife. Everything else, I use a ball head switching back and forth between heads depending upon what I'm doing. I like it a lot better than the other side mounts I've tried like the wimberly and induro. I've had the original wimberly gimble and the new version. They are big, heavy, and rock solid. Others that I've tried such as the jobu don't lock up as well as the wimberly. I use a leveling device most of the time and I've settled on the really right stuff TA-U-LB: Universal Leveling Base. I used gitzo for many years but I like the rrs better. Just my opinion for what ever it is worth.

Jul 13, 2013 at 08:41 PM
melane3

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

People should consider the large Jobu gimbals also. I love my Wimberley II, but I also have the Jobu Jr 3 and it is a great gimbal for its size. I have not used one of the larger Jobus, but based on the Jr 3, they should be very nice heads.

Michael
Kane'ohe, Hawai'i

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM
israeljruiz
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

Great advice folks!

I prefer the 4 th generation myself!

Mainly because weight ...

-is

Jul 14, 2013 at 05:18 PM
cebseb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

You guys are killing me. The CB Gimbal has somehow found its way into my Adorama cart.

Jul 14, 2013 at 05:24 PM
mpwolfson

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

I have used the 4th Gen side mount head and did not feel secure putting a big lens cantilevered like that. I started with the original Wemberly and now have the latest model. But for travel, the best solutuon I have found to use long lenses is the Acratech Long Lens head. I use 500 and 600mm Nikon lenses on it. It works beautifully, and weighs 1 lb. I also use it as a window mount head on one of those folding car door mounts. It works great. It is not quite as good as a full Wemberly head, but I'd say it's 95%. The light weight, for travel, is very helpful.

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=10

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:10 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

I use the Acratech Long lens Head on my Custom made window mount. It's lighter, saves a lot of space and obviously supports a big lens.
When using a tripod I use an Induro with a custom made bracket which works great with a tripod.

Al

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:42 PM
cebseb
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

Nice setup!
Just curious, for the ones that have the acratech long lens head, any experience with the RRS MH-01? I have it paired up with the PCL-1 panning clamp and it serves me well as a portable heavy lens setup. It would be nice to consolidate the two items I mentioned into one package though, but would like to know how the two setups measure up to each other.

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:54 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

I personally don,t have any experience with RRS. I do know guys that use their ball heads instead of a gimbal and like it.
I can't see using a ball head, because I like the way a gimbal and the Acratech LLH rotate and pivot.

Al

Jul 14, 2013 at 07:36 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

You can also use a pan head for long lenses. Lock the tilt and tighten the up/down and pan to provide some resistance. Used this all the time until the gimbles came along. Really was not bad way to do it.

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:09 PM
wimberley

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

The Wimberley Gimbal head WH-200 can be converted to a sidemount to save weight with the optional CK-100 Conversion Kit. Likewise the Sidemount can be converted to a full gimbal head with the CK-200 Conversion Kit.

Sep 02, 2014 at 01:32 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

Check out the Induro GBH2. It is just as strong and good as the Wimberly and cheaper too.

Sep 03, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

Been using the Katana jr gimbal head and it has been phenomenal. Very smooth, light and super stable

Sep 16, 2021 at 02:39 PM
Cinstance
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

For tilt head, the Hejnar photo monopod head deserves a recommendation here. It has a huge and thick swivel arm, and because of which, for a heavy lens it feels so much more stable than the RRS MH-01.

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Gimbal Comparison= Wimberly, Kirk KC-1, and Mongoose-3.6

could you quantify that? i ask because i've used the RRS MH-01 since it came out to this day and from my perspective it has done its job with all the big lenses i have used. I played with a hegnar a few years later when it finally came out an really no perceptible mechanical difference.

my favorite optic on it is the sigma 120-300/2.8S weighing in at 7.5lbs and D4s at 3 lbs on a good MP moving up and down a sideline.

Sep 18, 2021 at 01:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.