Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Deardorff5x7

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

If one takes the sensor size of the newly announced 70D and figures it for a full frame size sensor you come up with a 50 megapixel camera.

Looking good for the near future.

Now if Canon would only put a manual mirror lockup feature on it I would be very interested.

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:23 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

They've had an 18mp aps-c sensor for several years without releasing a FF with the same pixel size, so I'm not sure it's an indicator of anything.

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Deardorff5x7 wrote:
If one takes the sensor size of the newly announced 70D and figures it for a full frame size sensor you come up with a 50 megapixel camera.

Now if Canon would only put a manual mirror lockup feature on it I would be very interested.

Near future? Canon has not reached the resolution of the 10MP EOS 400D/XTi from 2006 in a FF body yet.

EBH

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:57 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

possibly in the future -- depends how noisy the tiny pixels are on the 70D

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Deardorff5x7 wrote:

And canon has a 14MP 1/1.7" sensor in the G10, which would be around the 300MP mark FF.

Why are you interested in manual mirror lock-up, we moved past that when LV came along which is superior because with electronic first curtain shutter in live view there is no vibration before or during the shot created by the shutter. I haven't used mirror lock up in years.

Edited on Jul 03, 2013 at 02:04 AM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:42 AM
ngaio
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Why are you interested in manual mirror lock-up, we moved past that when LV came along which is superior because with electronic first curtain shutter in live view there is no vibration before or during the shot created by the shutter. I haven't used mirror lock up in years.

Does mirror lock up use battery power like live view does? If not, I can see why someone away from power sources for some time would prefer mirror lock up.

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

ngaio wrote:
Does mirror lock up use battery power like live view does? If not, I can see why someone away from power sources for some time would prefer mirror lock up.

True, but it's not like they took the mirror lockup option away from you if that's an issue. How long are you planning to put the mirror up? You can't keep the LV mode on indefinitely (battery drain aside) due to heat build up on sensor. But you can do extended long exposures of 10-20 minutes.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:25 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Deardorff5x7 wrote:

With this reasoning Nikon and Sony would have 54 mp fullframe cameras coming up already. Why not take it further while you're at it: if one takes the sensor size of a Sony RX100 and figure it up to FF you come up with about 145 megapixels. Great huh?

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

I don't think too many people would want to pay for a 50MP camera. Besides a big initial layout for the camera, you'd need a 12core workstation, a wall of SSD RAID, a massive printer to take advantage of the resulting files, the best glass money can buy, etc.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:18 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Understand some people actually need more MP, but I genuinely don't understand the overall fascination with it. Once you reach a certain level (for the majority I think this is around 20MP) extra isn't going to get you anything particularly useful back at all..

Jul 03, 2013 at 03:09 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Gochugogi wrote:
I don't think too many people would want to pay for a 50MP camera. Besides a big initial layout for the camera, you'd need a 12core workstation, a wall of SSD RAID, a massive printer to take advantage of the resulting files, the best glass money can buy, etc.

Don't know about the cost of a high pixel camera from Canon, but your other excuses are weak. I've been scanning MF film for years and my computer needs and storage are not any more expensive than what I need for processing my 5d2 files. Printing large detailed landscapes is what I would purchase such a camera for. Yes good glass is required, but isn't good glass required to get great images out of the 5d3. I really don't understand these arguements.

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:17 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Gochugogi wrote:

A FF 50 MP DSLR would be my dream camera. Your assumptions of what is needed for post processing is simply wrong. You don't need a 12 core workstation at all, but certainly a good amount of RAM. I am already set up for this with my current PC, no biggie.

Regarding the OP's question, I don't think it is related. What and especially when and in which way Canon will come up with a new innovative FF sensor is still in the air.

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:35 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

The cost of storing 1000 raw files from my 36 MP D800E is 2$.
At the time the 21 MP 1Ds III was released, the cost of storing 1000 RAW files from it was 10$

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:55 AM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Whether anyone would need a 50MP+ camera is debatable but Canon (or anyone else) could make 80MP+ sensors tomorrow. The two issues that the manufacturers consider are technical and marketing.
The tech issues are addressable. They already possess the ability to include a lot of features that the public has requested.
The real problem for them is to maintain a steady flow of tantalizing product without blowing out all the goodies in one go and leaving nothing in the tank.

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:28 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

alundeb wrote:
At the time the 21 MP 1Ds III was released, the cost of storing 1000 RAW files from it was 10$

the 1DsIII has the option of sRaw which is significantly smaller than nikon's smallest raw file.... and processing those huge files is another issue. If you can deal with the large files, the D800 is damn near perfect camera.... on paper.

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:54 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Recently I spent a week with 2 well-placed Canon reps which shall remain nameless..... They tell me there is high likelihood that Canon will release a 40-ish megapixel FF body in 2014.

Undecided is the exact pixel count and body form factor (1D type or 5D type)... Both form factors exist as prototypes as do 2 different sensors.

According to them, Canon is taking their time with this for 2 reasons.... 1) a lot of effort had been placed on the Cine side of things. Perfecting 4K video and Cine lenses is more of a priority (read: money making potential) for Canon than a high pixel count still camera. 2) Its taking more time than expected for Canon to reach the quality level they are looking for in the areas of shadow noise, high ISO, and frame rate. According to them, Canon's conscious plan is to come out with something that will blow the D800 into the dirt and they are willing to take their time doing it. Their "guess" is that it will be a 5D form factor following Canon's pattern of releasing new tech on 2nd tier bodies first.

Outside of this (high MP body) discussion -- their (and presumably Canon's) vision for the future is this: High-enough resolution video where still photography is made essentially obsolete. IOW, point your 4K (or 32k someday) video camera in "that direction", shoot "for a while" and in post you can crop whatever composition and frame suits you and still retain enough pixels for a huge print. Imagine a fashion shoot done this way. Video everything and in post pull the exact frames you want. Its like having a 60 frame per second motor drive running for 2 hours straight. No way you will miss "the shot"...... Scary? Yes!

This is already being commonly done in the video world. A too-wide shot is deliberately shot in 4K so then the director can creatively crop in post to 1080. They demonstrated this technique with a C500 and I got chills up my spine. Several different-enough clips can quickly and easily be made from the same footage. Sure, you're not going to crop a huge print out of a 4K video frame today but 5 years from now?? 4K video is almost 10mp per frame.... (4096x2304)...

I'm scared for the future of still photography.

Edited on Jul 03, 2013 at 10:21 AM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:11 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Charlie N wrote:
..., the D800 is damn near perfect camera.... on paper.

+1000, if "on paper" means "in printed photographs made with it"

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:17 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

I'm scared for the future of still photography.

I think it will be fantastic if/when the ability to pull high-resolution stills from a video stream becomes widely available, especially for wildlife photography (or really any action-based photography). If that's the future, bring it on!

John

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Dark Slider
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

Gochugogi wrote:
Besides a big initial layout for the camera, you'd need a 12core workstation, a wall of SSD RAID, a massive printer to take advantage of the resulting files, the best glass money can buy, etc.

I have this. Bring on the camera.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 70D means 50MP full frame coming?

alundeb wrote:

The cost of 30 rolls of film is roughly $300, but we don't think in those terms anymore.

Db

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.