Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

So for some reason I didnt really realize this until my recent trip, but there are 4 major ingredients to great photographs. Late nights, early mornings, a lack of sleep, and an unforgettable landscape These 2 shots represent a fantastic shoot at the Palouse Falls in Washington that had all those ingredients.

This shot is my first attempt at any sort of night photography, and definitely my first time being up any reasonable amount of height. As each hour passed and the light dimmed I was clenching my a** tighter from fear being on this narrow path. Nothing but 200 feet of cliffs above and below. Surprisingly the walk back in darkness with a headlamp was less stressful because I couldn't see the bottom of the canyon! I was still freaked out and had a couple nightmares from the night, but I think the shot I came out with was worth it! I was actually giddy while putting this shot together at home because I have drooled over twilight shots like these for so long! I can definitely put up specific info about it tomorrow if anyone is curious.

I called it, Edge of Night

This second shot was a lot easier. Woke up, walked 2 minutes from my tent, snapped a few shots during peak blazing colour, went back to sleep I would have liked to see this amazing colour in my original composition though. You can't have it all i suppose!

Palouse Falls Flare

Thanks for looking and giving any sort of feedback.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:22 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

I like them both, but the nightime shot, with it's ethereal feel to it, is the most pleasing

Dan

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:41 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Hey Justin,

One of the cool things about staying up late and shooting stars is feeling almost like you are the last person awake on earth. Typically such solitude is hard to find during hectic days, but at night... it's just us and the stars...

I like the first one. It almost doesn't look real, it has that dream like quality to it similiar to the one Yan did of McWay Falls and got the Featured Thread of the week. It's interesting, because if that was a day time shot processed like that, I wouldn't like it. But for some reason, (even though I don't process my star shots this way) that this type of HDR processing gives a very dreamy look that does seem suitable for star shots. So nice job with coming up with this look.

#2 is also cool looking, perhaps a tad bit more contrast to lose that hint of HDR in it.

Now, you said you rolled out of your tent and just walked 2 minutes to this view. I haven't been to the Palouse yet, so you can camp right there at the edge? Is there an official campground there?

Jim

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:43 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

I can see why you were giddy on the 1st. It has that dreamy look with the clouds, stars and moon. The lighting on the landscape is pretty nice as well. The second one is really nice but the first has it beat for me. Great job on these Justin.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:54 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

The first shot is just plain awesome.

Cheers Ray

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:18 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Justin, I share your excitement about the first shot. I love the lower vantage point, and the tones of the whole scene are beautifully rendered. The moon in the sky seems perfectly positioned to give weight to the right side of the frame and achieve a great sense of balance. The way that the distant hump of rock arcs upward toward the moon is really special and adds some nice verticality that is usually missing from this scene. It's an iconic view, but the lower vantage point and great timing set it apart from most other photos, giving you a real winner.

The second shot seems more run-of-the-mill for this location, despite being well produced (though maybe a tad too magenta?). Whereas the first photo manages to transcend the baggage that an iconic location brings, the second one looks too similar to a lot of other photos of this waterfall. It's still a beautiful scene, though.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

JimFox wrote:
Hey Justin,

One of the cool things about staying up late and shooting stars is feeling almost like you are the last person awake on earth. Typically such solitude is hard to find during hectic days, but at night... it's just us and the stars...

I like the first one. It almost doesn't look real, it has that dream like quality to it similiar to the one Yan did of McWay Falls and got the Featured Thread of the week. It's interesting, because if that was a day time shot processed like that, I wouldn't like it. But for some reason, (even
...Show more

These images should look more punchy and contrasty on a typical non calibrated apple product (which is what I think most people are using), so if you are calibrated they will look under contrasty. I'll be making a seperate edit for when I print and keep your thoughts in mind. I hate hdr though, and both of these shots are mostly done with hand blending with the exception of a luminosity mask for pulling in the stars. #2 had diffuse lighting, so only 1 file was used, except for 1 overexposed shot (with exposure reduced in raw later) for noise free shadows.

And yes sir, the campground is a stones throw from the canyon. There is a fenced pathway just down a few steps from the parking lot for the typical tourist viewpoint, and this "photographer" viewpoint is 1-2 minute walk around the canyon ledge to the left. Ezpz!

Edited on Jul 03, 2013 at 05:20 PM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:02 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Phrasikleia wrote:
Justin, I share your excitement about the first shot. I love the lower vantage point, and the tones of the whole scene are beautifully rendered. The moon in the sky seems perfectly positioned to give weight to the right side of the frame and achieve a great sense of balance. The way that the distant hump of rock arcs upward toward the moon is really special and adds some nice verticality that is usually missing from this scene. It's an iconic view, but the lower vantage point and great timing set it apart from most other photos, giving you a
...Show more

Thanks Phrasikleia! Big fan of your work btw! I agree about the second. Its a nice sunrise but it has been done countless times and a lot better then I have. One thing I noticed from a lot of the big name photographers from this place, is that they totally warp the horizon flat, which it absolutely is not! This place doesnt really feel level in photos without the warp tool, but I decided to keep things as they were, and may have even rotated things out of level to give it more balance then it actually has.

The first will probably go down as my favourite image from this trip. We'll see if I change my mind as I continue to put the rest of my shots together though Thanks again.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Been there many times and never tried this location, I always did the falls then the coulee as a separate shot. This is first off a great composition, and both images are great on their own. I think I like the night best. Can you imagine what it would look like under a full moon with the moon overhead and slightly behind you?

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:02 PM
Aaron Cowan
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Justin,

I have considered hiking past the falls beneath the upper trail where I assume you took the first shot. Pretty intimidating hike IMO...I can understand.

Both shots are nice but I really like "Edge of Night" especially with the slice of moon perfectly placed.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Two great shots. #1 is my favorite. I like how you dodge and burn selectively to bring out certain details. The night sky looks great.
Harsha

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:46 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

both are nice as said before but that first shot is so surreal looking. It almost looks HDR (not the bad HDR) but just tons of detail. Do you do a lot of dodge and burning to get the bright and dark spots in your image? it looks great but my images taken at long exposure at night never have that much detail even when moon lit.

Jul 03, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Justin, Sweet!! These are stellar and that first one needs to find wall space. Rick

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:11 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Super work Justin, both are great but I like the angle of the first a little more.

Rob

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

I like the first one Justin - great shot! The second one has awesome light but like you said, the comp of the first would be even better.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

The dangers of getting to that special spot is part of the fun!

Stunners Justin! That first will most likely make you some money!!

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Justin - I think #1 is my favorite shot of Palouse Falls I've ever seen. The sky is amazing, and I've never seen a nighttime take on it quite like that before.

Now, I've already said that it's my favorite Palouse Falls shot I've seen, so take the following comment with a grain of salt, but... I think I'd prefer it to be a little less HDR-y / Orton-effect-y. Flattens the tiered canyon walls just a bit too much

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:19 PM
scraptag
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

These shots are great. There is something so exciting about traveling to a destination and taking pictures, using all the knowledge you have acquired. It's like Christmas Morning. tfs

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Thanks so much everyone! I figured the first shot would be a love it/hate it kind of image. Glad I pulled it off good enough to get most of you on board

ben egbert wrote:
Been there many times and never tried this location, I always did the falls then the coulee as a separate shot. This is first off a great composition, and both images are great on their own. I think I like the night best. Can you imagine what it would look like under a full moon with the moon overhead and slightly behind you?

Thanks Ben! It would look pretty incredible Im sure, but maybe with a full moon I wouldn't have the same soft lighting? It would surely depend on it's position.

Aaron Cowan wrote:
Justin,

I have considered hiking past the falls beneath the upper trail where I assume you took the first shot. Pretty intimidating hike IMO...I can understand.

Both shots are nice but I really like "Edge of Night" especially with the slice of moon perfectly placed.

Thanks Aaron, it was definitely intimidating. But if I could do it I'm sure most people could. We got passed by a couple of girls while still shooting in light so I had to try and man up for a few seconds :P Bring hiking poles unlike us if you try!

nextelbuddy wrote:
both are nice as said before but that first shot is so surreal looking. It almost looks HDR (not the bad HDR) but just tons of detail. Do you do a lot of dodge and burning to get the bright and dark spots in your image? it looks great but my images taken at long exposure at night never have that much detail even when moon lit.

Thanks Buddy. The main land exposure was taken during twilight hours, meaning a lot of light was able to bounce off the clouds and into the scene. The vertical rock faces were picking up a lot of light to begin with, but I definitely brightened them up a bit to add interest to all the detail they have.

Scott Kroeker wrote:
The dangers of getting to that special spot is part of the fun!

Stunners Justin! That first will most likely make you some money!!

Hey Scott, if you need my Paypal email let me know Haha thanks!

Matt Tilghman wrote:
Justin - I think #1 is my favorite shot of Palouse Falls I've ever seen. The sky is amazing, and I've never seen a nighttime take on it quite like that before.

Now, I've already said that it's my favorite Palouse Falls shot I've seen, so take the following comment with a grain of salt, but... I think I'd prefer it to be a little less HDR-y / Orton-effect-y. Flattens the tiered canyon walls just a bit too much

Thanks for the compliment Matt, really appreciated! I'll definitely be adding some shadow detail when I print this image. It should look fairly contrasty on an uncalibrated monitor though. At work today I checked it out and it looked overdone on the contrast, and I couldn't see half the detail I have. These dark images seem to be very monitor dependant for shadows.

I did add an orton layer of about 30 pixels, and only painted it in below the left horizon line to help the light spill over and blend better. The rest of that glow was done by breathing on the lens for the last 10% of my land image, so I can't undo it The effect won't be so prominent on a +40 inch print though judging by the last one I made.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Bjadelberg
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Late Nights and Early Mornings

Loving the first shot great job dude!

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:30 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password