Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Pricing for photo usage

ted nghiem

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pricing for photo usage

A blog, which seems to look well backed financially, recently requested to use a couple food images of mine on their blog. I have not been told how they were going to use it. I don't think it is for advertising.

I was wondering how much I would need to charge them to license it.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:56 AM
sjlocke

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pricing for photo usage

A blog is almost throwaway use. $25 each?

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:42 AM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pricing for photo usage

You'll never get a real answer. It all 'depends'. Search the forum for 'pricing' and see the hundreds of threads with no real answers

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:20 PM
ted nghiem

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pricing for photo usage

haha! That's what I was thinking but figured to ask anyway.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:34 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pricing for photo usage

sjlocke wrote:
A blog is almost throwaway use. $25 each?

"A blog" ranges from some 14-year-old with a crush on Daniel Radcliffe to a Fortune 50 company pulling a million page views a day.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:18 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pricing for photo usage

If the blog has a PR ( Google Page Rank) of 5 or higher ( for comparison Amazon is 9) then they have a lot of viewers and should have revenue from the blog. If the blog makes money they might be able to pay. You can download a PR checker for Firefox or use a free one online.

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:27 PM
sjlocke

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pricing for photo usage

colinm wrote:
"A blog" ranges from some 14-year-old with a crush on Daniel Radcliffe to a Fortune 50 company pulling a million page views a day.

Point being, a blog can get web sized images from a stock site for a buck. The article is here today, gone tomorrow, really a one time usage. Might as well be reasonable about the price.

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pricing for photo usage

sjlocke wrote:
Point being, a blog can get web sized images from a stock site for a buck. The article is here today, gone tomorrow, really a one time usage. Might as well be reasonable about the price.

Why? I don;t have a desire to compete with $1 images.

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:45 PM
sjlocke

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pricing for photo usage

Then you don't get the sale.

Jul 05, 2013 at 08:46 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pricing for photo usage

In this example, maybe it's smarter to not want the sale than it is to take it. I've turned away plenty of people who want to use my photos for their blog and I just won't do it without pay. The world of photography has been decimated by photographers willing to sell for dirt cheap. I'm personally not going to perpetuate that. What exactly would whoring my photos out do for me? I'd like to say blogs are evil, but they're not. It's photographer's fault that as a whole allowed ourselves to be cheapened. At least the music industry has salvaged themselves better than the photo industry.

Jul 05, 2013 at 08:52 PM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pricing for photo usage

http://asmp.org/links/32

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:32 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pricing for photo usage

sjlocke wrote:
Then you don't get the sale.

As a photographer it's not my job to provide every dipsh*t with a blog pictures that fit their budget. They don;t set the price to license my images I do. If they can't afford me, there are lots and lots of photographers who will sell an image for two dollars or thirty cents...then they can "get the sale" bless their hearts.

Jul 07, 2013 at 07:57 AM
sjlocke

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pricing for photo usage

Micky Bill wrote:
As a photographer it's not my job to provide every dipsh*t with a blog pictures that fit their budget. They don;t set the price to license my images I do. If they can't afford me, there are lots and lots of photographers who will sell an image for two dollars or thirty cents...then they can "get the sale" bless their hearts.

That's fine with me. I was just pointing out that a blog sale isn't necessarily going to get you $20,000, since "food" pictures are very abundant for lesser pricing.

Jul 07, 2013 at 03:30 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password