Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My Impressions of 38 or So Papers and counting

NatDeroxL7
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Impressions of 38 or So Papers and counting

I have spent quite a bit of time printing on a variety of fine art papers lately, on my Epson 3880, so I consolidated many of my impressions into a post on my blog.

Take a look, and there will be more to come, particularly more Canson papers.

Here is the main post:

http://mpdphotography.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/paper-reviews/

here is an update on canvas specifically:

http://mpdphotography.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/4-canvas-shootout/

I also offer fine art printing services if you are interested

http://mpdphotography.wordpress.com/my-fine-art-print-services/

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:02 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Impressions of 38 or So Papers and counting

Very well done and very useful for me as I also own the 3880

Bob

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:19 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Impressions of 38 or So Papers and counting

Just a few comments and no criticism either good or bad – you are offering opinion which can be neither right nor wrong. And paper selection is a very personal thing.

Hahnemühle German Etching is usually classed as a medium textured paper, as in smooth (no visible texture but may have some tooth), light (velvet papers where heavily inked areas loose the texture and light areas don’t), medium (where detail is retained despite the texture), and heavy (where the texture is obvious even in heavily inked areas).

I don’t know if the Canson sample pack includes their smooth rag (Rag Photographique) in 310 g/m², but the opacity of this compared to the 210 g/m² does make a difference. There are several things you don’t discuss: dMax, tonal range, color separation, and curl. Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308 does have much more tendency to recurl than Canson Rag Photgraphique 310. Having a paper stay flat after printing is important. Color separation of dark greens is also not so good with the Hahnemühle paper, but I find it slightly better for B&W prints.

Also look at Canson BFK Rives. This has been a traditional printing paper for perhaps a couple of centuries. It is smooth, but with a little more tooth than either Hahnemühle Photo Rag or Canson Rag Photographique.

On a different note, cost rather than print quality: If you decide to stock either smooth rag, look into buying 24 x 36 inch sheets and cutting down. Usually this size is much less expensive per unit area (as much as 40% less) than any other size, including 44 inch by 15 meter rolls. A 24 x 36 inch sheet will cut down to two 17 x 24 inch sheets, for example, with only a 2 inch waste strip, and 17 x 24 inches is generally much more useful than 17 x 22 inches. It will also give you four 12 x 18 inch sheets (3:2 ratio), without waste, eight 9 x 12 inch sheets (4:3 ratio) without waste, eight US letter sized sheets (with a little waste), or two 12 x 36 inch panos (3:1 ratio).

13 x 19 inches is the most expensive cut sheet size, but one of the most useful, giving a 12 x 18 inch print with 1/2 inches borders.

Brian A

Edited on Jul 05, 2013 at 06:22 AM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:16 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Impressions of 38 or So Papers and counting

Of course, by using canned supplied profiles, you're subjected to the widely varying qualities of them, making it harder to come to a valid conclusion. The very first thing I do when trying a new paper is to make a custom profile of it, so I know I'm getting the most out of the paper.

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:19 AM
NatDeroxL7
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Impressions of 38 or So Papers and counting

Yeah I don't have the resources to invest in the printing process to be able to definitively measure things like dmax, actual gamut, or create custom profiles. I never really intended for these to be read as a review like you would get form luminous landscape etc. I didn't even compare papers using the same images. It's just my impressions I've gotten from using them.

Assuming the majority of home printing hobbyists also can't custom profile or measure all that data, I just wanted to offer a 'consumer' opinion on how I liked them, using the profiles they will most likely be using.

thanks for the input though, maybe someday I will have the ability to bring more science to my printing.

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password